1. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 09:322 edits
    It appears to me to be a popular concept at least among our Christian friends that Gods love is unconditional. After having searched the sacred texts I can find no reference to Gods unconditional love, quite the contrary and in fact God place restrictions upon his love. My interest in this idea is two fold, first, if the idea has a scriptural basis and secondly why the idea has arisen.

take for example John 3:16

For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.

This can be seen on billboards and placards on the churches where i live and yet it comes with a condition, that being that Gods love, while being extended potentially to all, requires that we exercise faith in his son. That is not unconditional love, but love with a proviso.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 10:11
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    It appears to me to be a popular concept at least among our Christian friends that Gods love is unconditional. After having searched the sacred texts I can find no reference to Gods unconditional love, quite the contrary and in fact God place restrictions upon his love. My interest in this idea is two fold, first, if the idea has a scriptural basis ...[text shortened]... res that we exercise faith in his son. That is not unconditional love, but love with a proviso.
    The example of john 3:16 use are using does not support your premise. In the text it is everlasting life that is conditional, not God's love.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 10:172 edits
    Furthermore love is not something that can be turned on or off, even by human beings. A parent loves their child unconditionally for example.

Also we see that when Christ is talking about righteous behaviour he does so in these terms:

Mathew 5:43-48
    43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbour and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

So if we are commanded to "love our enemies" and there are no conditions attached, how can God love mankind conditionally? How can God for example love the Jehovah's witnesses but hate the Catholics? Even if one were his enemy and he hated them, he would be being hypocritical.

The premise in the OP is completely unsupportable in scripture.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 10:27
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The example of john 3:16 use are using does not support your premise. In the text it is everlasting life that is conditional, not God's love.
    Ok, Farther says to children, I love you, here is a gift for all of you, but only those who exercise faith in the gift will receive it. That conditional whatever way you look at it.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 10:28
    Furthermore love is not something that can be turned on or off, even by human beings. A parent loves their child unconditionally for example.

Also we see that when Christ is talking about righteous behaviour he does so in these terms:

Mathew 5:43-48
    43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbour and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you ...[text shortened]... would be being hypocritical.

The premise in the OP is completely unsupportable in scripture.
    That has to do with a Christian demonstrating love, how it has any relevance to Gods love I cannot say. The scriptural reference to 'perfect', does nor can mean perfect in the absolute sense, but means complete.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 11:04
    Through Christ there is no condemnation.........then Robbie was born. 😵
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 11:074 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    evidence of Gods unconditional love whoders, where is it? No condemnation?

(Revelation 19:11-16) And I saw the heaven opened, and, look! a white horse. And the one seated upon it is called Faithful and True, and he judges and carries on war in righteousness. His eyes are a fiery flame, and upon his head are many diadems. He has a name written that no one knows but he himself, and he is arrayed with an outer garment sprinkled with blood, and the name he is called is The Word of God. Also, the armies that were in heaven were following him on white horses, and they were clothed in white, clean, fine linen. And out of his mouth there protrudes a sharp long sword, that he may strike the nations with it, and he will shepherd them with a rod of iron. He treads too the winepress of the anger of the wrath of God the Almighty. And upon his outer garment, even upon his thigh, he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 11:46
    Ok, Farther says to children, I love you, here is a gift for all of you, but only those who exercise faith in the gift will receive it. That conditional whatever way you look at it.
    No, it that scenario the gift is exclusive, not the love. Your example does not support your premise.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 11:48
    That has to do with a Christian demonstrating love, how it has any relevance to Gods love I cannot say. The scriptural reference to 'perfect', does nor can mean perfect in the absolute sense, but means complete.
    Are you suggesting that Christ would command us to love our enemies and then add conditions to that love? How do you see that working?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 11:49
    evidence of Gods unconditional love whoders, where is it? No condemnation?

(Revelation 19:11-16) And I saw the heaven opened, and, look! a white horse. And the one seated upon it is called Faithful and True, and he judges and carries on war in righteousness. His eyes are a fiery flame, and upon his head are many diadems. He has a name written tha ...[text shortened]... his outer garment, even upon his thigh, he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.
    Everything with your cult mindset is a about conditions, exclusions, hatred and wrath isn't it. You really are the misanthrope that you are sometimes described as.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 12:06
    Originally posted by whodey
    See the cherry picking thread.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 12:35
    No, it that scenario the gift is exclusive, not the love. Your example does not support your premise.
    I say it does
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 12:36
    Are you suggesting that Christ would command us to love our enemies and then add conditions to that love? How do you see that working?
    this thread is about Gods love, thats twice you have managed to miss the mark
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 12:36
    Everything with your cult mindset is a about conditions, exclusions, hatred and wrath isn't it. You really are the misanthrope that you are sometimes described as.
    Clearly you are incapable of rational thought. This thread is about Gods unconditional love.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 12:37
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    See the cherry picking thread.
    where is the evidence for it (Gods unconditional love), so far these Christians are simply drooling the drool and slobbering the slobber.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree