1. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    03 Dec '08 15:211 edit
    Interesting website.
    Presents some of the important concepts from the Bible in a nice simple common sense way. They are putting up billboards to remind people that its more about how you live and treat your fellowman than anything else. Here are some of them :

    - Let’s meet at My house Sunday, before the game.
    - C’mon over and bring the kids.
    - What part of “Thou shalt not…” didn’t you understand?
    - We need to talk.
    - Keep using my name in vain, I’ll make rush hour longer.
    - Loved the wedding, invite me to the marriage.
    - That “Love Thy Neighbor” thing…I meant that.
    - I love you…I love you…I love you.
    - Will the road you’re on get you to My place?
    - Follow me.
    - Need directions?
    - You think it’s hot here?
    - Tell the kids I love them.
    - Need a marriage counselor? I’m available.
    - Have you read my #1 best seller? (There will be a test.)
    - Do you have any idea where you’re going?
    - Big Bang Theory, you’ve got to be kidding.
    - My way is the highway.

    http://www.godspeaks.com/AboutTheBillboards.asp?SayingID=10
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    03 Dec '08 15:28
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Interesting website.
    Presents some of the important concepts from the Bible in a nice simple common sense way. They are putting up billboards to remind people that its more about how you live and treat your fellowman than anything else. Here are some of them :

    - Let’s meet at My house Sunday, before the game.
    - C’mon over and bring the kids.
    - Wh ...[text shortened]... ding.
    - My way is the highway.

    http://www.godspeaks.com/AboutTheBillboards.asp?SayingID=10
    Is God really Dr. Phil?
  3. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Joined
    16 Feb '03
    Moves
    13400
    03 Dec '08 15:44
    I wonder If a whole array of positive atheistic quotes would be allowed on Billboards in the US. Or here actually for that matter, I know there's the Atheist bus thing but my question extends more toward the more religious regions.

    Honest question, no ranting....
  4. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    03 Dec '08 15:49
    Originally posted by Mexico
    I wonder If a whole array of positive atheistic quotes would be allowed on Billboards in the US. Or here actually for that matter, I know there's the Atheist bus thing but my question extends more toward the more religious regions.

    Honest question, no ranting....
    Give some examples of such atheistic quotes
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    03 Dec '08 16:13
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Give some examples of such atheistic quotes
    How about:

    Faith is believing what you know ain't so.

    -Mark Twain
  6. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    03 Dec '08 16:20
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Interesting website.
    Presents some of the important concepts from the Bible in a nice simple common sense way. They are putting up billboards to remind people that its more about how you live and treat your fellowman than anything else. Here are some of them :

    - Let’s meet at My house Sunday, before the game.
    - C’mon over and bring the kids.
    - Wh ...[text shortened]... ding.
    - My way is the highway.

    http://www.godspeaks.com/AboutTheBillboards.asp?SayingID=10
    Reasonable practical applications of what I'm always saying around here Rajk.

    Although there are some doctrinal differences about how to apply the truths of God's word I don't share with those who created that web site, I still agree with most of it in principle.
  7. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    03 Dec '08 16:22
    Originally posted by rwingett
    How about:

    Faith is believing what you know ain't so.

    -Mark Twain
    That is totally illogical.

    But that's what atheists believe, right?
  8. Joined
    01 Feb '06
    Moves
    994
    03 Dec '08 16:24
    Blaise Pascal: Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions
  9. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Joined
    16 Feb '03
    Moves
    13400
    03 Dec '08 16:26
    These all belong to various people

    "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

    "I believe in God, only I spell it Nature."

    "Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned"

    "Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence"

    "With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
  10. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    03 Dec '08 16:43
    Originally posted by rwingett
    How about:

    Faith is believing what you know ain't so.

    -Mark Twain
    I dont think religious people will have a problem if thats posted on a billboard.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    03 Dec '08 16:51
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so.

    -Mark Twain
    I didn't know that Twain was christian?
    But it sure fits for some christians, yes indeed.
  12. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    03 Dec '08 17:01
    Originally posted by josephw
    Reasonable practical applications of what I'm always saying around here Rajk.

    Although there are some doctrinal differences about how to apply the truths of God's word I don't share with those who created that web site, I still agree with most of it in principle.
    I think God is interested in how we live our lives and how we apply the 'love thy neihbour' rule. Doctrinal differences are for Pharisees to quibble about.
  13. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    03 Dec '08 17:02
    Originally posted by Mexico
    These all belong to various people

    "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

    "I believe in God, only I spell it Nature."

    "Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned"

    "Blind faith is an ironic gift to return ...[text shortened]... eople doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
    Nothng offensive to religion there except maybe the last one.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    03 Dec '08 17:27
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I didn't know that Twain was christian?
    But it sure fits for some christians, yes indeed.
    Huh? Twain was an agnostic.
  15. weedhopper
    Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    8062
    03 Dec '08 18:53
    Originally posted by Mexico
    I wonder If a whole array of positive atheistic quotes would be allowed on Billboards in the US. Or here actually for that matter, I know there's the Atheist bus thing but my question extends more toward the more religious regions.

    Honest question, no ranting....
    As long as someone is willing to pay for the billboard space and there's nothing on it that violates a local obscenity law, there shouldn't be a problem.
Back to Top