1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 15:01
    Will the earth be burned up?
    THE BIBLE’S ANSWER: “[God] has founded the earth upon its established places; it will not be made to totter to time indefinite, or forever.”—PSALM 104:5.
    The earth will not be destroyed, either by fire or by any other means. Instead, the Bible teaches that this planet is mankind’s eternal home. Psalm 37:29 says: “The righteous themselves will possess the earth, and they will reside forever upon it.”—Psalm 115:16; Isaiah 45:18.
    After God created the earth, he said that it “was very good,” and he still feels that way. (Genesis 1:31) Far from planning to destroy it, he promises to “bring to ruin those ruining the earth”—and to protect it from permanent damage.—Revelation 11:18.
    You may wonder, though, about 2 Peter 3:7. That Bible verse says: “The heavens and the earth that are now are stored up for fire.” Does this not show that the earth will be burned up? Actually, the Bible sometimes uses the terms “heavens,” “earth,” and “fire” figuratively, as symbols. For example, when Genesis 11:1 says: “All the earth continued to be of one language,” it uses “earth” to mean human society.
    The context of 2 Peter 3:7 shows that the heavens, earth, and fire mentioned there are also symbols. Verses 5 and 6 draw a parallel with the Flood of Noah’s day. On that occasion, an ancient world was destroyed, yet our planet did not disappear. Instead, the Flood wiped out a violent society, or “earth.” It also destroyed a kind of “heavens”—the people who ruled over that earthly society. (Genesis 6:11) In the same way, 2 Peter 3:7 foretells the permanent destruction of wicked society and its corrupt governments as if by fire.
  2. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 15:07
    Pudgenik,
    What I am talking about is making up our own ideas of what the bible shows. For instance, I guess, "Jehovah Witnesses" believe that Christ was just an angel blessed of God.

Where in the bible does it teach that?

As for the bible itself, the English bible is a translation. It is not the original writings. The bible I am referring to is a translation into English forming the King James Version. If other bibles are accurate translations of the original writings, then they too would be included. However, the New King James is supposed to be wrong. So, what other English bibles are wrong?

As a side note, if the King James Version would not properly translate the original writings, then it too, is wrong. For instance, I guess that I have heard that the translation for the "Red Sea" should really be "the sea of reeds." I have not checked into that situation sufficiently.
  3. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 15:19
    Galveston,
    Perhaps, what God will do is burn the earth and heaven with fire to remove what is evil or cursed or whatever else. While, I don't think I am accurate about all that the bible shows, the earth and heaven can be burned and purified.

Perhaps, in part, it is like a totaled car which is put back together and painted again. Some of the car is new and some of the old car remains. Loosely, someone might say, it is a new car.

Or perhaps, "new" means a new condition of the old earth and old heaven. This might include any curses being removed.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 15:591 edit
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Galveston,
    Perhaps, what God will do is burn the earth and heaven with fire to remove what is evil or cursed or whatever else. While, I don't think I am accurate about all that the bible shows, the earth and heaven can be burned and purified.

Perhaps, in part, it is like a totaled car which is put back together and painted again. Some of the car is ...[text shortened]... s a new condition of the old earth and old heaven. This might include any curses being removed.
    Fire is spoken of in the Bible as a complete purifying process. In the case of wickedness which is the main reason for this event that not only affects the earth but also the heavens. And the Bible describes heaven as being the place God and all the spirit angels reside, and the Bible also speaks of the immediate area above the earth as being a heaven. This immediate vacinity of the earth is where the Bible says satan is now confined too as he was cast out of heaven.
    So the heaven that God and his angels reside in are fine and nothing there needs to be futher cleaned especailly with fire.
    But to cleanse the earth the act of wickedness that many humans and satan and the demons do and live by and promote is something that cannot be destroyed by literal fire. How could that affect the action of someone doing wickedness? That desire would still be where it is now and that is with other humans and satan.
    It couldn't, so this cleansing of these places having wickeness would have to be symbolic.
    The world of Noah was wicked, so much so that God had to cleanse the earth with water of the physical side of wickedness which was really only temporary as wickedness was still in our sinful nature as Noah's decendents showed and then satan was still around after the flood. But the planet was still there.
    So no real physical actions such as a fire would remove wickedness as neither did water. So this has to be symbolic.
    The Bible many times says the earth will be here forever and if he did actually physically destroy it completely as the symbolic scriptures say, then that would mean God lies to us. But he doesn't.....
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 16:09
    Pudgenik,
    What I am talking about is making up our own ideas of what the bible shows. For instance, I guess, "Jehovah Witnesses" believe that Christ was just an angel blessed of God.

As for the bible itself, the English bible is a translation. It is not the original writings. The bible I am referring to is ...[text shortened]... Sea" should really be "the sea of reeds." I have not checked into that situation sufficiently.

What term does the Bible call angels that is also the same term is used for Jesus?

"Son or son's of God". Jesus only distinction that is different is that he was the "first created" of all these sons. Do you want the scriptures that say this?
  6. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 17:002 edits
    Pudgenik,

As for the bible itself, the English bible is a translation. It is not the original writings. The bible I am referring to is ...[text shortened]... Sea" should really be "the sea of reeds." I have not checked into that situation sufficiently.
    KingOnPoint, i really don't want to get off the beaten track over "politics" of bibles and church's teachings.

What is really important here. Reading the Word, and receiving the Word into our hearts. This is the bottom line. So, KOP, we know what Christ is (meaning you and i) the Word of God made flesh. Now understand, it isn't in the knowledge of knowing who Jesus is that will save us. It is in the receiving into our hearts. So even though the J.W.'s don't know who Jesus is, they are still receiving the Word of God (Jesus).

It is written: "Where your heart is, there your treasure will be too." For it isn't the physical circumcision, but the circumcision of your heart.

This is why i said earlier, or in another thread, there are those who drink milk, and those who eat meat, and then there are those who eat everything. And we who eat everything are told not to judge.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 17:10
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Will the earth ever be destroyed?

To be correct, the explanation of these verses must agree with the context and with the rest of the Bible

If these texts (2 Peter 3:7, 10 and Revelation 21:1) mean that the literal planet Earth is to be consumed by fire, then the literal heavens (the stars and other heavenly bodies) are also to be destroyed by ...[text shortened]... of which simply emphasize the impossibility of the situations presented.—See also Matthew 5:18.
    Are you going to reply to my post or continue this pretence of avoiding me because I'm a child of the devil? Or whatever it is you and robbie have convinced yourselves I am.
  8. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 17:34
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Are you going to reply to my post or continue this pretence of avoiding me because I'm a child of the devil? Or whatever it is you and robbie have convinced yourselves I am.
    You are not a child of the devil. The devil can not create things
  9. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 17:35
    I know that last post doesn't really flatter you. ha ha. We are all God's children, some just don't know it
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 17:42
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    I know that last post doesn't really flatter you. ha ha. We are all God's children, some just don't know it
    You need a better PR agent.
  11. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 20:08
    You need a better PR agent.
    It matters not if no one listens, things are still going to come to pass, sooner than later, unfortunately. They won't listen even when all "H" breaks loose.

Have you never read in Revelations, at the end of the Sixth Seal, "run and hide, for the Great Day of the Lord is here". Yet it is already at the end of the Sixth Seal.

If you really knew me, know what i am and know it was the truth. You would know how close everything really is.

It will happen in our lifetime.
  12. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 20:13
    Pudgenik,

I know what the J.W.'s believe. And this is why i often refer to them as drinking milk. Sorry guys, you really do! But that doesn't mean God is not with them too.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 21:57
    I know what the J.W.'s believe. And this is why i often refer to them as drinking milk. Sorry guys, you really do! But that doesn't mean God is not with them too.
    Under what circumstances is God (as you put it) "with" someone/group?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 21:581 edit
    Why specifically do you think the JWs are "drinking milk"?
  15. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 12:53
    Under what circumstances is God (as you put it) "with" someone/group?
    "In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God." "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us."

The Word of God is Jesus. If you read the Word and receive the Word into your heart you receive Jesus into your heart too.

It is written: Through God's grace, faith is given you. It is written: Thought faith you will find salvation. Jesus is our salvation. Jesus and the Word are One. And it is written: Jesus says, "No One can go to the Father, but through Me."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree