1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    16 May '11 00:503 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Yes several times as we go driving into the water, we always fall down into the
    water. I have yet gone up and kept going. 🙂
    Kelly
    That place you go to dive in the water might be special, or perhaps you're a special case in that for everyone else that if anyone else dived in the same spot when you're not looking they would float off into the sky.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 May '11 02:02
    Originally posted by Agerg
    How do you know? have you ever jumped off a cliff before? Have you jumped off all cliffs to check that some of them aren't special? 😕
    There is a Law of Gravity and there is a Theory of Gravity.
    What you are referring to here is the Law of Gravity.
    Look it up.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    16 May '11 02:343 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    There is a Law of Gravity and there is a Theory of Gravity.
    What you are referring to here is the Law of Gravity.
    Look it up.
    Been through this with Doward, it is only a law because people have taken it upon themselves to call it a law - it has not been conclusively proven to hold in *all* cases, and so stands as a meagre "theory" just waiting to be demolished when something unexpected happens. Indeed, as a theory it's merely something which a few people in white coats happen to `reckon' because they hate God and don't want it to play any part in what keeps us rooted to the floor. They might change their minds tomorrow.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 May '11 02:42
    Been through this with Doward, it is only a law because people have taken it upon themselves to call it a law - it has not been conclusively proven to hold in *all* cases, and so stands as a meagre "theory" just waiting to be demolished when something unexpected happens. Indeed, as a theory it's merely something which a few people in white coats happen to `rec ...[text shortened]... play any part in what keeps us rooted to the floor. They might change their minds tomorrow.
    Is there anything you would call a law and not just a theory?
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    16 May '11 02:513 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Is there anything you would call a law and not just a theory?
    Strictly speaking, as far as physical sciences go, I'd have to say no. The mathematical models which scientists fit to physical phenomenon have not been conclusively "proven" to be valid at all times in the past, and for all times in the future.

They're all just dubious and shaky theories (unproven ideas) God-hating scientists made up and foisted upon those who love God.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 May '11 03:14
    Day in day out there's always someone droning on about the theory of gravity. But so what!??

[b]It's only a theory!
    Perhaps the next time you fall over you'll float off into the sky, science can't prove 100% this won't happen![/b]
    It's considered a theory because it is considered a local truth: it may not be true in all situations. This is not to say that all statements must be tested and proved in all situations prior to being designated 'true,' as much as it speaks to the limitations of its sway. What holds fast here might not hold fast everywhere. Unfortunately for your allegory, evolution only works here if it works everywhere.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 May '11 05:21
    If Jesus walked off a cliff, he would not fall. In fact, if anyone has enough faith, they can walk off a cliff and not fall.

And in real life, I have seen a man run off a cliff and not fall. He did have a paraglider though.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '11 05:48
    Originally posted by josephw
    It is a fact that if one jumps off a cliff they will fall.
    But what about the The Theory Of Flight?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 May '11 14:44
    Strictly speaking, as far as physical sciences go, I'd have to say no. The mathematical models which scientists fit to physical phenomenon have not been conclusively "proven" to be valid at all times in the past, and for all times in the future.

They're all just dubious and shaky theories (unproven ideas) God-hating scientists made up and foisted upon those who love God.
    Show me a counter example of gravity, show me someone who has not fallen off a cliff with no help from ropes, parachutes, helicopters and the like. The idea that gravity is "Just" a theory is just your grousing about science in general and you need to do that to justify your religious convictions. Grouse about it all you want but the fact is nobody can jump off a chair, garage, cliff or couch without falling. There are frogs who have levitated magnetically in a very powerful magnetic field and people could do the same if the magnetic field was a couple hundred thousand gauss but that is science in action, one "theory' countering another. Good luck with your grousing.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 May '11 14:52
    Originally posted by josephw
    Don't need science to prove it.

It's a fact. Jump off a cliff and you're going to fall.
    that's not a proof. maybe the next time you jump off a building or cliff you will float. a fact requires a valid reasoning to be proven. using other established facts. personal experience is not a good way to establish facts.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 May '11 14:53
    Originally posted by amannion
    That [b]is science.
    You test a premise - if I jump off a cliff I will fall - and come to a conclusion - something is pulling me down.[/b]
    that is simply statistics. you need to figure out what is pulling you down.
  12. Joined
    17 Mar '08
    Moves
    16 May '11 14:53
    i don't believe in gravity.
    I mean, where is it mentionned in in the bible?
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 May '11 14:59
    Originally posted by shorbock
    i don't believe in gravity.
    I mean, where is it mentionned in in the bible?
    jesus refuses to jump off a cliff at satan's request. it is acknowledged that angels will be needed to catch jesus therefore he would fall therefore gravity exists and is mentioned in the bible. qed.
  14. St. Peter's
    Moves
    16 May '11 15:34
    Mathematics only "proves it" for a phenomenon strictly fitting a particular mathematical model - no one has proved that gravity *is* such a phenomenon - there may well be special cases, like for example, wearing red jumper and jumping off a cliff whilst on a pogo stick singing 13 green bottles for which it fails.
    nope there are no such cases, for it relies not on special circumstances, but on the attraction of two (or more) masses, and the reproducable observations etc... For each mass the gravitational pull can be accurately measured.
  15. St. Peter's
    Moves
    16 May '11 15:37
    Been through this with Doward, it is only a law because people have taken it upon themselves to call it a law - it has not been conclusively proven to hold in *all* cases, and so stands as a meagre "theory" just waiting to be demolished when something unexpected happens. Indeed, as a theory it's merely something which a few people in white coats happen to `rec ...[text shortened]... play any part in what keeps us rooted to the floor. They might change their minds tomorrow.
    astrophysisistsssssttss (whatever) have proven the law of gravity is universal, and that "heavenly bodies" have an affect on one another

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree