1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Apr '12 23:24
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I do.

Awful paradox for the uninitiated, I know
    So, what is the source of authority to which you refer when claiming to have "God's world view"?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Apr '12 23:25
    Originally posted by JS357
    Maybe the modern person feels him or herself to have achieved equivalent surrender by having no internet connection.
    Lol...

There was one monk with long hair. Very pretty long hair.
    When it was time for him to cut his hair in order to continue being a monk he did not hesitate, as some others thought he would.
    The master, upon seeing this said "Because I can see that you are willing to let go of your hair freely and without attachment , then I allow you to keep it "
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Apr '12 23:26
    Originally posted by josephw
    So, what is the source of authority to which you refer when claiming to have "God's world view"?
    I have my own piece of the puzzle. I clean my dishes dilligently.
    I reflect upon my ego everyday with honesty.
    I co-create the world with my thoughts.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 02:201 edit
    I'm sorry . I dont subscribe to your world view.
    Yes, we all start from a skewed subjective point of view and to change it is rather painful so we fight to preserve it.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 03:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yes, we all start from a skewed subjective point of view and to change it is rather painful so we fight to preserve it.
    So what are you sayin: that I should be a buddhist because buddha spoke to me?
    Cause Jesus never did
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 13:47
    So what are you sayin: that I should be a buddhist because buddha spoke to me?
    Cause Jesus never did
    No, dummy, he is saying your world view is skrewed up.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 13:55
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    pot. kettle. black.
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 14:04
    Really? So you don't need a shepherd?

In the real world, many sheep probably don't think that as well, till they are face to face with something that wants to devour them.
    The shepherd usually.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 14:38
    The Bible refers to the human race as "sheep".
    No, actually it refers to you theists as sheep. Us atheists who ask too many questions are goats. Anyone who has kept sheep and goats would understand the analogy. Goats do not like to be told what to do. They do not go round mowing the lawn, they eat all the flowers instead. Goats are generally more intelligent and independent.
  10. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 16:25
    If there is no bonafide guru then we must persevere ourselves.

One may find you in your lifetime.

Interestingly rvsakhadeo said his guru died many years ago (1978) and I lost mine about 7-8 years ago. After all, he didn't have a mobile phone and he was more or less a "wandering monk".

All this says to me that we are in a different age. An age of being ones own guru, ones own master.
    It's easy to trick yourself because of the ego problem. I think a True Guru would be the safest and most direct way. True Gurus are hard to find. Even ones that have power can be problematic. Look at the case of Adai Da for that matter. Very powerful man, but full of hard to understand behavior.
  11. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 16:27
    Look at yourself first, and then judge. We all feel our view is the right one.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 14:32
    Keep out of it !!! Usually I like people chiming in - but with you it's just butting in.

More to the point, my world view is incomplete- and for very good reason. The world keeps changing, so for an accurate world view your ideas need to change with that.
    This is just one factor in getting a decent all round holistic world view happening.
    So much easier to keep the wool over your eyes buy quoting from that tiresome old holy book that so many seem to loathe, rather than trying to actually see what is really out there.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 14:35
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No, actually it refers to you theists as sheep. Us atheists who ask too many questions are goats. Anyone who has kept sheep and goats would understand the analogy. Goats do not like to be told what to do. They do not go round mowing the lawn, they eat all the flowers instead. Goats are generally more intelligent and independent.
    I see they* like to skrew with the meanings here to suit their agenda at the time.
    How very short-sighted. An entrenched habit it seems.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 15:532 edits
    Originally posted by josephw
    There is a rather lengthy discussion of authority at:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3294134/Myth-and-Religion-The-Edited-Transcripts-Alan-Watts-Love-of-Wisdom-Library

{Edit also in voice at YouTube}

Alan Watts, on Ultimate Authority

Page 6 finally gets to this: "The guru's authority comes from you. The place in life where you are is where you have put yourself. Just as on the surface of the sphere every point may be regarded as the center of the surface, so every place maybe regarded as the true place. Everyone is in their true place. In whatever language you [s]ay it, everybody is a manifestation of the divine, playing this game and that game. Your not knowing it, if you do not know it, is part of the game."

In my view, we each have ultimate authority, whether we want it or not. It goes together with ultimate responsibility. Without one, we do not have the other.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Apr '12 21:01
    I see they* like to skrew with the meanings here to suit their agenda at the time.
    How very short-sighted. An entrenched habit it seems.
    Satan is the one that distorts God's meaning and twhitehead is of his father the devil.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree