1. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 01:03
    Hadith is the second source of Islamic faith. Hadith is simply what the prophet Mohammed said, did, or accepted from his followers during his life. From Hadith we Muslims get the details of the prophet lifes, worship , law and more. The Hadith is not a book. It is a single event or talk from the prophet attached with a narration chain that gives the name of each person who narrated the Hadith starting from the Prophet to the person documented the Hadith in Books. Using these narration chains we can determine the authenticity. So if a hadith is narrated with no chain , there is someone the chain who is not trusted, or there is another problem in the chain, the hadith is rejected and not accepted as a true words of the prophet even if they included a good stuff.

There many books where Hadith was collected. And also there are many books that only deals with people found in narration chains. So if you find any hadith you can refere to these books to determine the authenticity of the hadith.

The most two important Hadith books are Sahih Bukhari, and Sahih Muslim, written in the 2nd centirey after the prophet. The authers didn't write the hadith themsleves, rather they collected them from different sources with their narration chains. The accepted only in those two books Hadith that has no problem according to the narration. And those to books are reviewed science then and there is an agreement between all Muslims about every hadith inside them.

More information could be found here:
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/

Hadith is not Quran. Quran is the word of Allah. If you read Quran you will see that Allah speeks all the time , while hadith is the words of the prophet himself (You can compare hadith to the gosples, but Hadith books are way larger, Sahih Bukhari is more than 1000 pages)

I will try to give you some Hadith so you might know what was the prophet teachings, and to know what hadith means. I will not comment on them until anyone asks. In this translation the narration chain is shortenned to the first one after the prophet, which is usually one of his students.

--------------
    Volume 8, Book 73, Number 2:
    Narrated Abu Huraira:

A man came to Allah's Apostle and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Who is more entitled to be treated with the best companionship by me?" The Prophet said, "Your mother." The man said. "Who is next?" The Prophet said, "Your mother." The man further said, "Who is next?" The Prophet said, "Your mother." The man asked for the fourth time, "Who is next?" The Prophet said, "Your father. "

---------------------
    Volume 8, Book 73, Number 8:
    Narrated Anas bin Malik:
    Allah's Apostle mentioned the greatest sins or he was asked about the greatest sins. He said, "To join partners in worship with Allah; to kill a soul which Allah has forbidden to kill; and to be undutiful or unkind to one's parents." The Prophet added, "Shall I inform you of the biggest of the great sins? That is the forged statement or the false witness." Shu'ba (the sub-narrator) states that most probably the Prophet said, "the false witness."

---------------------------
    Volume 8, Book 73, Number 3:
    Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Amr:

A man said to the Prophet, "Shall I participate in Jihad?" The Prophet said, "Are your parents living?" The man said, "Yes." the Prophet said, "Do Jihad for their benefit."
    -----
    I said I will not comment, but this hadith shows another meaning of Jihad, and I think many will be interested in that.
    -----
    ------------------------------------------
    Volume 8, Book 73, Number 11:
    Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

My father, seeing a silken cloak being sold, said, "O Allah's Apostle! Buy this and wear it on Fridays and when the foreign delegates pay a visit to you." He said, "This is worn only by that person who will have no share in the Hereafter." Later a few silken cloaks were given to the Prophet as a gift, and he sent one of those cloaks to 'Umar. 'Umar said (to the Prophet), "How can I wear it while you have said about it what you said?" The Prophet said, "I did not give it to you to wear but to sell or to give to someone else to wear." So 'Umar sent it to his (pagan) brother who was from the inhabitants of Mecca before he ('Umar's brother) embraced Islam.

--------------------------------------------------

Volume 8, Book 73, Number 24:
    Narrated 'Aisha:

(the wife of the Prophet) A lady along with her two daughters came to me asking me (for some alms), but she found nothing with me except one date which I gave to her and she divided it between her two daughters, and then she got up and went away. Then the Prophet came in and I informed him about this story. He said, "Whoever is in charge of (put to test by) these daughters and treats them generously, then they will act as a shield for him from the (Hell) Fire."
    ----------------------------------------------------

Volume 8, Book 73, Number 25:
    Narrated Abu Qatada:

The Prophet came out towards us, while carrying Umamah, the daughter of Abi Al-As (his grand-daughter) over his shoulder. He prayed, and when he wanted to bow, he put her down, and when he stood up, he lifted her up.

-----------------------------------------------

All these Hadith are from Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Book 73:
    Good Manners and Form (Al-Adab)

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/073.sbt.html

You might not be interested in this thread, but I just want to talk about Islam for a while 🙂

Thank you all for reading this thread.
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 01:09
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    Hadith is the second source of Islamic faith. Hadith is simply what the prophet Mohammed said, did, or accepted from his followers during his life. From Hadith we Muslims get the details of the prophet lifes, worship , law and more. The Hadith is not a book. It is a single event or talk from the prophet attached with a narration chain that gives the name of ...[text shortened]...
    Nice. Thank you.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 01:55
    Do both Sunni and Shi'ite recognize Hadith?
  4. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 03:50
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Do both Sunni and Shi'ite recognize Hadith?
    Both have Hadith, but the way I described here is the way Sunni transfer and document Hadith. Shi'ite don't have the same approach to authenticate Hadith, so they might accept some Hadith that Sunna reject. Also they don't accept some Hadith sound in Bukhari and Muslim books of hadith that contradict their faith (they idea of the transfere of leadership after the prophet, and the importance of the family of the prophet as the only source of everything).

So Sunni will not accept any Hadith that has a minor doubt in its narration. And Shi'ite will not accept any Hadith that contradict their faith.

I personaly don't want to give a biased point of view about Shi'ite. So I'm talking about the majority, and I think no Shi'ite will reject the samples I gave here.
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 03:52
    Both have Hadith, but the way I described here is the way Sunni transfer and document Hadith. Shi'ite don't have the same approach to authenticate Hadith, so they might accept some Hadith that Sunna reject. Also they don't accept some Hadith sound in Bukhari and Muslim books of hadith that contradict their faith (they idea of the transfere of leadership af ...[text shortened]... talking about the majority, and I think no Shi'ite will reject the samples I gave here.
    Which ones are correct: the Sunnis or the Shiites?
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 03:56
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Which ones are correct: the Sunnis or the Shiites?
    Neither.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 04:08
    Originally posted by josephw
    Neither.
    What? Say it ain't so! All that fighting, and neither one is right?
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 04:11
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    What? Say it ain't so! All that fighting, and neither one is right?
    I'm wright. That's what the w is for.
  9. Earth
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 05:01
    Both have Hadith, but the way I described here is the way Sunni transfer and document Hadith. Shi'ite don't have the same approach to authenticate Hadith, so they might accept some Hadith that Sunna reject. Also they don't accept some Hadith sound in Bukhari and Muslim books of hadith that contradict their faith (they idea of the transfere of leadership af ...[text shortened]... talking about the majority, and I think no Shi'ite will reject the samples I gave here.
    Thanks, ahosyney. I just would like a quick note for those who might be wondering. The word Allah is the Arabic word for God. Allah, as I have heard some say, is NOT a different God than the one mentioned in the Bible. There is only one God.
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 05:081 edit
    Originally posted by Varqa
    Thanks, ahosyney. I just would like a quick note for those who might be wondering. The word Allah is the Arabic word for God. Allah, as I have heard some say, is NOT a different God than the one mentioned in the Bible. There is only one God.
    Allah is the name of GOD in Arabic. It is a name not a noun like the word GOD.

Allah is the name of GOD in Aramaic, the language of Jesus, and in Hebrew , Elohim (if I'm not mistaken) is the same name.

The word god in english is equal to the word "elah" in Arabic, which gives the general meaning of a god (anything/someone that is being worshipped).

Thank you for you comments.
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 05:12
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Nice. Thank you.
    Thank you visted for visiting 🙂
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 05:34
    Can you try to explain why the Sunnis and Shi'ites don't agree on the contents of the Hadith?
    Is there an 'original' Hadith? Copies from the 8th century?

I know how Judeo-Christian scholars compile the Bible, but not how Moslem scholars compile their holy
    books. Can you talk about this some?

Nemesio
  13. Earth
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 05:56
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Can you try to explain why the Sunnis and Shi'ites don't agree on the contents of the Hadith?
    Is there an 'original' Hadith? Copies from the 8th century?

I know how Judeo-Christian scholars compile the Bible, but not how Moslem scholars compile their holy
    books. Can you talk about this some?

Nemesio
    If you can explain why the 35000 Christian sects and denominatios don't agree on the content of the Bible, then maybe the differences between the Sunnis and the Shi'ites will become clear to you.
    🙂
  14. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 06:01
    Originally posted by Varqa
    If you can explain why the 35000 Christian sects and denominatios don't agree on the content of the Bible, then maybe the differences between the Sunnis and the Shi'ites will become clear to you.
    🙂
    I can explain the methodological principles which Scripture scholars use to edit the Bible. I can
    offer explanations for why certain books are and are not included in the Bible. For mainstream
    Christian sects, I can explain their theological frameworks and upon what Scriptural or traditional
    justifications they rest. Did you have a question?

I am particularly interested in this Moslem text and since I don't know much about Islam to begin
    with, I figured I'd try to enquire about the Hadith (since that's the topic of this thread) and how it
    came to be written.

What's the earliest source for the Hadith?

Nemesio
  15. Going where needed.
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 06:10
    Hadith is the second source of Islamic faith. Hadith is simply what the prophet Mohammed said, did, or accepted from his followers during his life. From Hadith we Muslims get the details of the prophet lifes, worship , law and more. The Hadith is not a book. It is a single event or talk from the prophet attached with a narration chain that gives the name of ...[text shortened]...
    Very interesting. Can you tell me how accurate they are according to the original translations? Like percentage form?

Aside from that, very good writings. They seem very poetic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree