1. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '08 11:441 edit
    never having been to an American church, or for that matter any others since i was forced to go as a kid, i found the following quite disturbing! is this the sort of thing that goes on in churches nowadays! or is it primarily an American thing? the most amusing part was watching the other members of the congregation quietly nod their assent to the thoughts of the speaker as he lambasts the president of the united states of America, and i thought Christians were A-political,

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yTp_atr2G9E
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    17 Nov '08 12:36
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    never having been to an American church, or for that matter any others since i was forced to go as a kid, i found the following quite disturbing! is this the sort of thing that goes on in churches nowadays! or is it primarily an American thing? the most amusing part was watching the other members of the congregation quietly nod their assent to the ...[text shortened]... merica, and i thought Christians were A-political,

We are a strange breed over here. Pastor Manning was interviewed on Howard Stern the other morning and it was great. Howard asked him if he had ever had a white woman. He declined to answer to which Howard said "That sounds like a yes to me."

He only has about 100 people in his church.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '08 13:131 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    We are a strange breed over here. Pastor Manning was interviewed on Howard Stern the other morning and it was great. Howard asked him if he had ever had a white woman. He declined to answer to which Howard said "That sounds like a yes to me."

He only has about 100 people in his church.
    hi, i thought he was incredibly entertaining if a little eccentric, are all preachers like that in the States, you know, animated and generally great public speakers? this is a marked difference to the speakers that we get in the UK, they are generally very reserved, tied to their notes and need a good prodding with a stick just to make sure they are still alive! there are one or two notable exceptions but they are few and far between.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    17 Nov '08 20:292 edits
    hi, i thought he was incredibly entertaining if a little eccentric, are all preachers like that in the States, you know, animated and generally great public speakers? this is a marked difference to the speakers that we get in the UK, they are generally very reserved, tied to their notes and need a good prodding with a stick just to make sure they are still alive! there are one or two notable exceptions but they are few and far between.
    The black preachers tend to be more in touch with God and thus more entertaining as I believe God wants us to have some fun. Also, black preachers are notorious for having a "get out of jail free" ticket with their congregations. We tend not to be oppressive with the so-called sexual sins. We believe in a healthy sense of forgiveness.

One I particularly like is Bishop Don Magic Juan. God brought him out of addiction into a new life. I'll see if I can find a link for him.

Here you go.
    YouTube&feature=related
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '08 21:101 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    The black preachers tend to be more in touch with God and thus more entertaining as I believe God wants us to have some fun. Also, black preachers are notorious for having a "get out of jail free" ticket with their congregations. We tend not to be oppressive with the so-called sexual sins. We believe in a healthy sense of forgiveness.

One I particul d a link for him.

Here you go.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRVnzhbxMSg&feature=related
    dudes clothes were sharp, real sharp, tell me, is there segregation in churches in America, cause it looks like there is, all the black dudes hang together and all the white dudes hang together where they are at. this is not the same in Europe, no way! we been through all of that.

yes god is a happy god! 1 timothy 1;11, 'according to the glorious good news of the happy God, with which I was entrusted'.
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    17 Nov '08 21:27
    dudes clothes were sharp, real sharp, tell me, is there segregation in churches in America, cause it looks like there is, all the black dudes hang together and all the white dudes hang together where they are at. this is not the same in Europe, no way! we been through all of that.

yes god is a happy god! 1 timothy 1;11, 'according to the glorious good news of the happy God, with which I was entrusted'.
    It is said that the 11:00 hour on Sunday morning is the most segregated time in America. We have overcome other forms of segregation in the schools, business environment and even in politics, but church isn't always "chuuch."
  7. Joined
    09 Sep '07
    Moves
    17 Nov '08 22:06
    pastor robbie of the church of chess
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '08 23:071 edit
    Originally posted by dass
    pastor robbie of the church of chess
    dass my main man, im hanging with my homeboy kirksey the righteous reverand and he is enlightening me to all that goes on in those American churches, and if the truth be known its a little scary!
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Nov '08 00:00
    dass my main man, im hanging with my homeboy kirksey the righteous reverand and he is enlightening me to all that goes on in those American churches, and if the truth be known its a little scary!
    ..."he is enlightening me to all that goes on in those American churches,..."

I don't think so. Kirksey is only showing you what goes on in his church.

In my opinion, 90% of what goes on in church "buildings" in this country and in the rest of the world on Sunday morning is off the mark.

Most of them barely know and preach the gospel. Most of what you'll get is entertainment and somebody's idea of what the Bible means by what it says. Generally, the better the program, and the better the speaker, will determine the size of the congregation.

The churches where you'll hear the truth are few and small.
  10. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    18 Nov '08 01:29
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b...The churches where you'll hear the truth are few and small.[/b]
    Unless the church is set up specifically as a tax shelter, there isn't a church out there that does not think it is preaching the "truth". You would seem to share something with most of those churches...it is the truth if it agrees with your position. Most churches would probably feel the same about you.

Also - what is your criteria for "knowing the Bible"? Does that involve any theological or ancient sociological/cultural training on your part?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Nov '08 22:211 edit
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Unless the church is set up specifically as a tax shelter, there isn't a church out there that does not think it is preaching the "truth". You would seem to share something with most of those churches...it is the truth if it agrees with your position. Most churches would probably feel the same about you.

Also - what is your criteria for "knowing the Bibl ? Does that involve any theological or ancient sociological/cultural training on your part?
    "Unless the church is set up specifically as a tax shelter, there isn't a church out there that does not think it is preaching the "truth". You would seem to share something with most of those churches...it is the truth if it agrees with your position. Most churches would probably feel the same about you."

Of course they all "think" they're preaching the truth, and to one degree or another they are. But the kind of reasoning you use above is typical of relativistic thinking. There is in fact "the truth", and finding a church that preaches it is not easy.
    The trick is finding the one that comes the closest to preaching the truth as possible. No "church" is perfect, but most, in my opinion, don't have a clue, so they resort to preaching what feels good for the sake of filling the pews.

"Also - what is your criteria for "knowing the Bible"? Does that involve any theological or ancient sociological/cultural training on your part?"

"Knowing the Bible", that is, understanding the "word of truth", requires a number of things.
    First, it requires the "indwelling" Holy Spirit. That happens when one makes a decision to trust Christ as their saviour.
    Secondly, it takes study. Bible reading daily.
    Third, it takes time.

It is said that knowledge plus experience equals wisdom.

Oh, I forgot. It also takes prayer, and lots of it.

As far as training is concerned, whatever it takes is ok with me, and I know some educated people that are indeed wise, but I also know folks that can barely read that demonstrate great wisdom.

God, in His wisdom, has made the Bible easy enough for a third grader to understand. The problem I have found is that some who get wonderful educations are some of the dopiest people I've ever met. They can disect an atom, but they can't comprehend the spirit.
  12. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    19 Nov '08 02:17
    never having been to an American church, or for that matter any others since i was forced to go as a kid, i found the following quite disturbing! is this the sort of thing that goes on in churches nowadays! or is it primarily an American thing? the most amusing part was watching the other members of the congregation quietly nod their assent to the ...[text shortened]... merica, and i thought Christians were A-political,

I agree! Most of the reason for this is the defeated party are sore losers.😏
  13. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    19 Nov '08 02:50
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"Unless the church is set up specifically as a tax shelter, there isn't a church out there that does not think it is preaching the "truth". You would seem to share something with most of those churches...it is the truth if it agrees with your position. Most churches would probably feel the same about you."

Of course they all "think" they're preach ...[text shortened]... ver met. They can disect an atom, but they can't comprehend the spirit.[/b]
    How do you know that they cannot "comprehend the spirit"?
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Nov '08 04:37
    you just mentioned the difference between american and british people not just 'preachers' as you know, people in the uk are generally reserved in nature and very poor at public specking, also selling themselves at interviews and the like. whereas americans are for the most part very confident as a nation at specking out and selling themselves....i think 'show and tell' has a part to play in that., as kids they are taught to talk in public about something every week or so and this develops their abilities.
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '08 12:262 edits
    I had a period in my Christian life when I ways intrigued by entertaining preachers. I use to even buy LP records of thier sermons.

EE Cleveland, Henton from Chicago, C.L. Franklin (Aretha Franklin's dad) were all world class elequent preachers with whom TV and movies had a hard time competing.

Eventually, the I realized that I was mostly getting my ears tickled and I began to seek something less entertaining but spiritually substantial.

I am not knocking there particular preachers. They have their styles as any other preachers have their styles. And they do say some useful things to help.

But by in large I think a growing Christian puts less and less emphasis opn being entertained.

Now I am content with no preacher if the need be. I thirst to here each member testify or teach what Christ has done in their lives in a sincere way.

It is the spiritual nourishment and feeding which I crave. That is my deeper enjoyment, what is real spiritually.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree