1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Aug '15 14:452 edits
    I think you all have been rather phenomenal (compared to how it could be) this month. It was nice to see someone start a thread of poetry on this forum, and another person start a thread about saying something to a person you usually clash with. No one's "perfect", but I think this is great.

Personally, I wanted to continue the goal of being respectful and mature no matter what, on all the forums, not just the Spirituality one. I've tried to be respectful here, but failed on one of the other forums. It ended up working in my favor at the end, but still.

There was one post where I referred to some YouTube links RJ Hinds posted as "crap". I feel bad about that, and want to formally apologize to him. I wasn't trying to say he was full or crap or anything, just the content of the video he posted. Still, I should've used more polite words. I honestly didn't even think about until after I posted it. It's amazing how easily this came out of me, without thinking. I'll try to better my efforts for the rest of August, including on the other forums.

Also....

The "Since Atheism is a Belief" thread I started wasn't to compare any religion to fictional stories, or belittle any beliefs. I started that thread to show what it seems like to some atheists when they're told having a lack of belief is itself a "belief" or worldview. If anyone thought I was mocking their religion, that wasn't my intent, and again, I apologize if that wasn't conveyed properly.

Enough about me, though. How do you guys think you did this month?
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Aug '15 14:521 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    I think you all have been rather phenomenal (compared to how it could be) this month. It was nice to see someone start a thread of poetry on this forum, and another person start a thread about saying something to a person you usually clash with. No one's "perfect", but I think this is great.

Personally, I wanted to continue the goal of being respectful ...[text shortened]... sn't conveyed properly.

The Ghost has been angelical.

*Edit. But i have been avoiding Hinds to accomplish this.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '15 20:26

Personally, I wanted to continue the goal of being respectful ...[text shortened]... sn't conveyed properly.

Was it my poem thread you were referring to? And my offence at "abugsbunnyism"? If so I feel a bit undeserving as I did not subscribe to the August love-in. I have noticed that KellyJay is still rudely ignoring me (and others), although I don't ignore him so can post my point of view at him without having to defend it with pages of posts.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Aug '15 21:35
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Was it my poem thread you were referring to? And my offence at "abugsbunnyism"?
    Your thread still had the August theme, which is greatly appreciated. And i didn't have you specifically in mind when i mentioned the "abugsbunnism" thread. It had a few down-votes, and I thought maybe other people misunderstood the point of that thread.
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    16 Aug '15 21:39
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Was it my poem thread you were referring to? And my offence at "abugsbunnyism"? If so I feel a bit undeserving as I did not subscribe to the August love-in. I have noticed that KellyJay is still rudely ignoring me (and others), although I don't ignore him so can post my point of view at him without having to defend it with pages of posts.
    It's extremely rude of you to be repeatedly talking KellyJay down like this just because he refuses to respond to you. There is no reason for him to set himself up for enduring even more of your crap, and especially so since you've already said you are not participating in this August experiment.

And if this was also supposed to mean "Be Kind to Trolls Month" then who can blame him? It was my intention to be kind to you as well by not responding to your crap... but I didn't sign onto this August love fest idea either, so there's really nothing to stop me from telling it like it is.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Aug '15 23:17
    I also agree that ignoring someone isn't the worst thing a person can do. It's a better alternative that engaging someone who you feel may only bring out the worst in you. After all, August wasn't intended to be "punching bag month".
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '15 23:35
    I also agree that ignoring someone isn't the worst thing a person can do. It's a better alternative that engaging someone who you feel may only bring out the worst in you. After all, August wasn't intended to be "punching bag month".
    A while back, KellyJay blundered into supporting the right of JWs to engage in child sacrifice and he was called to task for what he'd said and for what his words actually meant. The topic perhaps did bring "the worst" out in him, that'd be for each person to decide. His 'not talking to certain people' ~ while not displaying even one jot of integrity on a deadly serious subject ~ is an expression of his discomfort, I think.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 10:40
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    The Ghost has been angelical.

*Edit. But i have been avoiding Hinds to accomplish this.
    It is easy to be Buddha in a monastery where no one is trying to rub you the wrong way. The real test is whether one can maintain one's equanimity in the rough and tumble. One would hope that, with practice, one would not have to avoid anyone in particular to keep one's cool. We're workin' on it.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 13:35
    Originally posted by moonbus
    It is easy to be Buddha in a monastery where no one is trying to rub you the wrong way. The real test is whether one can maintain one's equanimity in the rough and tumble. One would hope that, with practice, one would not have to avoid anyone in particular to keep one's cool. We're workin' on it.
    Well said.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 15:00
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Hinds might be a bridge too far dude.

Maybe i'll start with Robbie and build up to him?
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 22:58
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Hinds might be a bridge too far dude.

Maybe i'll start with Robbie and build up to him?
    One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '15 01:54
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    It's extremely rude of you to be repeatedly talking KellyJay down like this just because he refuses to respond to you. There is no reason for him to set himself up for enduring even more of your crap, and especially so since you've already said you are not participating in this August experiment.

And if this was also supposed to mean "Be Kind to Trolls ...[text shortened]... s August love fest idea either, so there's really nothing to stop me from telling it like it is.
    As I understood it KellyJay is one of the instigators of the August love-in. I remember him talking about how everyone should show more respect to one and another etc. And yet several posters complain about him point blankly ignoring them. On an Internet discussion forum surely this is one of the most disrespectful things you can do.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 07:20

What do you think so far?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 07:39
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    What do you think so far?
    I think this month has been much of a muchness with the months that preceded it, in other words: things are generally pretty good and most posters are more or less grown up in the way they go about participating in this community.

What do you think so far about your own behaviour?
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Aug '15 12:40
    One week left in the month. If there's anyone left who has still been making an effort to be civil the entire month, hang in there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree