1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Feb '15 18:533 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I am that I am does not even make sense in English never mind from the original Hebrew. Another epic fail Jonah Hinds.

That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth. Pslam 83:18 King James version.
    Yes it does. Isn't English your first language? Modern translations have it "I AM who I AM". Does that make sense to you?

In Hebrew the words are written from right to left without vowels. God's name in English from the Hebrew is widely accepted to be YHWH. Since the Jews would not pronounce the name of God but instead replaced it with Adoni, meaning Lord, the King James translators tried to place those vowels in the name of God YHWH to reconstruct the name. Not only did they put the vowels in backward, but by that time the letter "J" had become widely used instead of Y. They also believed the "W" should be pronounced as a "V" so they came up with JEHOVAH instead of YAHOWEH.

We know the beginning of the name is pronounced "YAH" because of the pronunciation of halleluYAH, which is always translated in English as praise the Lord. With Lord or YAH in this case being the one being praised.
  2. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 05:11
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Yes it does. Isn't English your first language? Modern translations have it "I AM who I AM". Does that make sense to you?

In Hebrew the words are written from right to left without vowels. God's name in English from the Hebrew is widely accepted to be YHWH. Since the Jews would not pronounce the name of God but instead replaced it with Adoni, meaning Lor ...[text shortened]... lated in English as praise the Lord. With Lord or YAH in this case being the one being praised.
    so, what's your point? In Finnish they call Him Umallah. He knows all the languages as He created them. He also knows if we are calling on Him and obeying Him as the True God and Father of our Lord Christ Jesus or not. We do not know exactly how His name is pronounced but we will one day.
    The important thing is to use that Name wouldn't you agree?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 05:17
    Originally posted by roigam
    so, what's your point? In Finnish they call Him Umallah. He knows all the languages as He created them. He also knows if we are calling on Him and obeying Him as the True God and Father of our Lord Christ Jesus or not. We do not know exactly how His name is pronounced but we will one day.
    The important thing is to use that Name wouldn't you agree?
    Not Jehovah because it is clearly wrong.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 12:241 edit
    Not Jehovah because it is clearly wrong.
    Do you seriously think a deity would worry about what word you used to reference it?

Again with the anthropomorphisms. Humans making a god with human attributes.

OF COURSE the bible would say god created man in its own image, since humans wrote that trash, they, the writers, were pretty sure people would fall for that crap hook line and sinker.

They were very smart, the original writers of the bible. They knew just what to say to set up a religion that controls people and 'accidentally' puts women on a lower shelf. Another reason a deity had nothing to do with either Judaism, Christianity or Islam.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 17:13
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Do you seriously think a deity would worry about what word you used to reference it?
    Of course not - but it does showcase a serious problem with the people who insist that His name is (and exclusively is) *Jehovah.

In other words, the problem isn't with Jahweh, it's with the Jehovahs.
  6. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 19:25
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Of course not - but it does showcase a serious problem with the people who insist that His name is (and exclusively is) *Jehovah.

In other words, the problem isn't with Jahweh, it's with the Jehovahs.
    When Jesus said, (Matthew 6:9, 10) “You must pray, then, this way: “‘Our Father in the heavens, let "your name" be sanctified. 10 Let "your Kingdom" come. Let "your will" take place, as in heaven, also on earth.
    Who's name and Kingdom and will do you think he was talking about?
    Remember, Jesus was a Jew.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 21:12
    When Jesus said, (Matthew 6:9, 10) “You must pray, then, this way: “‘Our Father in the heavens, let "your name" be sanctified. 10 Let "your Kingdom" come. Let "your will" take place, as in heaven, also on earth.
    Who's name and Kingdom and will do you think he was talking about?
    Remember, Jesus was a Jew.
    Jesus said "Hallowed be thy name". The definition of "hallowed" is "regarded as holy; venerated; sacred". Does using this name as the "brand" of your church venerate or revere God, or does it simply serve as a name to take in vain when talking about yourselves?

God said many times, in effect, "tell them I AM sent you". We talk about the Lord, or the Father, because calling him "I AM" would be too awkward in everyday use.
  8. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 22:51
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Jesus said "Hallowed be thy name". The definition of "hallowed" is "regarded as holy; venerated; sacred". Does using this name as the "brand" of your church venerate or revere God, or does it simply serve as a name to take in vain when talking about yourselves?

God said many times, in effect, "tell them I AM sent you". We talk about the Lord, or the Father, because calling him "I AM" would be too awkward in everyday use.
    Forms of the divine name in different languages, indicating international acceptance of the form Jehovah
    Awabakal - Yehóa
    Bugotu - Jihova
    Cantonese - Yehwowah
    Danish - Jehova
    Dutch - Jehovah
    Efik - Jehovah
    English - Jehovah
    Fijian - Jiova
    Finnish - Jehova
    French - Jéhovah
    Futuna - Ihova
    German - Jehova
    Hungarian - Jehova
    Igbo - Jehova
    Italian - Geova
    Japanese - Ehoba
    Maori - Ihowa
    Motu - Iehova
    Mwala-Malu - Jihova
    Narrinyeri - Jehovah
    Nembe - Jihova
    Petats - Jihouva
    Polish - Jehowa
    Portuguese - Jeová
    Romanian - Iehova
    Samoan - Ieova
    Sotho - Jehova
    Spanish - Jehová
    Swahili - Yehova
    Swedish - Jehova
    Tahitian - Iehova
    Tagalog - Jehova
    Tongan - Jihova
    Venda - Yehova
    Xhosa - uYehova
    Yoruba - Jehofah
    Zulu - uJehova
    Since English is the most widely used language we use the English form of God's Name.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 22:59
    Forms of the divine name in different languages, indicating international acceptance of the form Jehovah

Since English is the most widely used language we use the English form of God's Name.
    Um, wait just a minute here.

What you mean is that this is a list of the name Jehovah in different languages. That's a far cry from "The Name of God" in different languages.

*Of course* this shows "international acceptance" of the NAME Jehovah, since it IS a list of the NAME Jehovah in different languages. It shows absolutely NOTHING about the "international acceptance" of Jehovah as the NAME of God.
  10. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 00:17
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Um, wait just a minute here.

What you mean is that this is a list of the name Jehovah in different languages. That's a far cry from "The Name of God" in different languages.

*Of course* this shows "international acceptance" of the NAME Jehovah, since it IS a list of the NAME Jehovah in different languages. It shows absolutely NOTHING about the "international acceptance" of Jehovah as the NAME of God.
    that doesn't even merit a response. that's just total avoidance.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 09:13
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Again with the anthropomorphisms. Humans making a god with human attributes.

OF COURSE the bible would say god created man in its own image, since humans wrote that trash, they, the writers, were pretty sure people would fall for that crap hook line and sinker.

Th ...[text shortened]... ower shelf. Another reason a deity had nothing to do with either Judaism, Christianity or Islam.
    Yes. Don't you care what people call you? 😏
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 09:15
    Awabakal - Yehóa
    Bugotu - Jihova
    Cantonese - Yehwowah
    Danish - Jehova
    Dutch - Jehovah
    Efik - Jehovah
    English - Jehovah
    Fijian - Jiova
    Finnish - Jehova
    French - Jéhovah
    Futuna - Ihova
    German - Jehova
    Hungarian - Jehova
    Igbo - Jehova
    Italian - ...[text shortened]... - uJehova
    The ones you listed are all wrong. 😏
  13. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 19:311 edit
    The ones you listed are all wrong. 😏
    why? because you don't accept them? you disrespect all the other people of all the other languages who do accept Jehovah (English form) as their God.
    Choose for yourself.
    (Joshua 24:15) Now if it seems bad to you to serve Jehovah, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve, whether the gods that your forefathers served on the other side of the River or the gods of the Amʹor·ites in whose land you are dwelling. But as for me and my household, we will serve Jehovah.”
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 01:18
    why? because you don't accept them? you disrespect all the other people of all the other languages who do accept Jehovah (English form) as their God.
    Choose for yourself.
    (Joshua 24:15) Now if it seems bad to you to serve Jehovah, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve, whether the gods that your forefathers served on the other side of the River o ...[text shortened]... ʹor·ites in whose land you are dwelling. But as for me and my household, we will serve Jehovah.”
    I choose YAH shua (YAH saves) a.k.a. Jesus.

HalleluYAH !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 02:05
    I choose YAH shua (YAH saves) a.k.a. Jesus.

HalleluYAH !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    The man you call Jesus was originally called Zeus.
    Spanish speaking countries still refer to him as "Hey Zeus" to this day.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree