has anybody here actually changed their view?

has anybody here actually changed their view?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
26 Jun 10

Originally posted by Proper Knob
[b]this is not the science forum you know where you can build speculative hypothesis upon the interpretation of incomplete and scant data, we demand reason here you know!

That's going straight into my top 3 'Comedy Gold Spirituality Forum Quotes'.

Sometimes you're just too funny, i don't know whether you mean it or not, but i hope so because i refuse to believe you are THAT stupid.[/b]
Lol, if it brought a smile to your face dear Noobster, its enough for us πŸ™‚

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 Jun 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Lol, if it brought a smile to your face dear Noobster, its enough for us πŸ™‚
Hey, I thought this was the spirituality forum, no sense of humour allowed hereπŸ™‚

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Jun 10
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
Seriously, how can you see this as some god's work? Why can't you see it for what it is, a book of short chapters written by many men over a long period of time. Why can you not see that is only one book supposedly written by a god when there are thousands of other books diametrically opposed to what your supposed god wrote and they think THEIR god wrote th ...[text shortened]... and wars and the deaths of millions of people over what, a STUPID book that drives men insane.
Wow.....you seem to be a little angry at God here. Why? I mean does he not have the ability to have men write his thoughts in the form of book to mankind? Is he incapable of doing that?
What would it take for you to believe, a personally delievered carved by hand in stone message from God himself?
True man as a whole have done terrible things in the name of God, but that's not god's fault is it? Why disregaurd the bible and throw it aside because man can't get it right?
Americans everyday break the constitutional laws and principles of this government. So in your way of thinking the ones in office should just throw it away because men keep brealking it's laws?

rc

Moves
26 Jun 10
1 edit

Hey, I thought this was the spirituality forum, no sense of humour allowed hereπŸ™‚
that must be the atheists you are thinking of, they are all Vulcans who view emotions as illogical, watch out my friend, they may try to assimilate you πŸ™‚

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 Jun 10

that must be the atheists you are thinking of, they are all Vulcans who view emotions as illogical, watch out my friend, they may try to assimilate you πŸ™‚
Well, Atheism is just another form of religion, the null R so to speak, you are just as convinced there is no god as the religious folks are convinced there is a god or the atheist thinks there is an extremely low probability of there being a god. I just sit here straddling the fence and let both sides duke it out. My butt is getting sore waiting for the outcome thoughπŸ™‚

I would not be so presumptuous as to say one way or the other, neither side of that issue can ever know for sure unless some being comes down and announces himself, slags a few mountains and convinces people he is a god. Of course that does not mean he is a god, just someone with a lot of power, which would fall a bit short of what religious folk think of a god, the omnipotent one.

I just think everyone is obsessing on the issue and forgets to just live in the real world, instead, convinced that god told them its ok to kill people who don't believe in THEIR version of what god is and to subjugate women in the bargain. And of course the armies of god forcing whole countries to convert to their religion. See South America and the Aztecs, see those villages in Africa overrun by muslim armies forcing the natives to convert or die, happening right now.

This cannot be coming from a real god, the 'emotions' of a real god would be so far above petty human concerns like who worships what, that would not even be on the plate of a real god. It just comes back to the fact that all these religions are man made for the direct purpose of building power bases and subjugating women and the occasional good deeds done cannot hide that fact.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Jun 10

Well, Atheism is just another form of religion, the null R so to speak, you are just as convinced there is no god as the religious folks are convinced there is a god or the atheist thinks there is an extremely low probability of there being a god. I just sit here straddling the fence and let both sides duke it out. My butt is getting sore waiting for the ou ...[text shortened]... g power bases and subjugating women and the occasional good deeds done cannot hide that fact.
The religion your speaking of that has FORCED itself on many parts of the world is not Christain or Christlike in anyway, shape or form.. A true follower of Jesus would never have any thing to do with that type of atrocity.

rc

Moves
26 Jun 10
1 edit

Well, Atheism is just another form of religion, the null R so to speak, you are just as convinced there is no god as the religious folks are convinced there is a god or the atheist thinks there is an extremely low probability of there being a god. I just sit here straddling the fence and let both sides duke it out. My butt is getting sore waiting for the ou g power bases and subjugating women and the occasional good deeds done cannot hide that fact.
It just comes back to the fact that all these religions are man made for the direct purpose of building power bases and subjugating women and the occasional good deeds done cannot hide that fact. - sonhouse

here is a thought for you sonhouse, with regard to religion and its practisioners,

(2 Timothy 3:5-7) . . .having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power; and from these turn away.  For from these arise those men who slyly work their way into households and lead as their captives weak women loaded down with sins, led by various desires,  always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth.

you see my friend, for many religion is simply a facade, a nominal state and an unreality, thus having no effect on the human conscience. What happens when the conscience has no real governing principles, is left to its own devices, is faulty or has been superseded by another ideology? we get atrocity! how else are we to account for the bloodshed and the injustice?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 Jun 10
1 edit

It just comes back to the fact that all these religions are man made for the direct purpose of building power bases and subjugating women and the occasional good deeds done cannot hide that fact. - sonhouse

here is a thought for you sonhouse, with regard to religion and its practisioners,

(2 Timothy 3:5-7) . . .[b]having a form of godly devoti ...[text shortened]... ther ideology? we get atrocity! how else are we to account for the bloodshed and the injustice?
We account for it because some of the leaders are truly insane, thinking they and only they have a direct line to whatever god they profess to worship, get voices in their head saying this and that must be done no matter the human cost. IMO the higher up in the ranks you go the more likely they are to be totally nutzoid.

On our level? Hey, I may bitch and scream about what I see as religious atrocity but I know full well we could share a pint at a local pub and play a couple of tunes on the mandolin and bodhran and have a good time debating about it. The upper ranks I have a completely different opinion.

rc

Moves
27 Jun 10
2 edits

We account for it because some of the leaders are truly insane, thinking they and only they have a direct line to whatever god they profess to worship, get voices in their head saying this and that must be done no matter the human cost. IMO the higher up in the ranks you go the more likely they are to be totally nutzoid.

On our level? Hey, I may bitch an ...[text shortened]... n and have a good time debating about it. The upper ranks I have a completely different opinion.
in the immortal words of our national poet, lifted from beetles profile

An thers a han, my trustee feer! An gees a han o thyn!
And we’ll tak a right gude-willie-waught, fir ald lang syn.

There's nought but care on ev'ry han',
In ev'ry hour that passes, O;
What signifies the life o' man,
An' 'twere na for the lasses, O.
Green grow, etc

The warly race may riches chase,
An' riches still may fly them, O;
An' tho' at last they catch them fast,
Their hearts can ne'er enjoy them, O.
Green grow, etc

But gie me a canny hour at e'en,
My arms about my Dearie, O;
An' warly cares an' warly men,
May a' gae tapsalteerie, O!
Green grow, etc

For you sae douse, ye sneer at this,
Ye're nought but senseless asses, O;
The wisest Man the warl' saw,
He dearly lov'd the lasses, O.
Green grow, etc

Auld Nature swears, the lovely Dears
Her noblest work she classes, O;
Her prentice han' she try'd on man,
An' then she made the lasses, O.
Green grow, etc

warly = wordly
han = hand
e'en = evening
'twere na = was not
canny = snug/cozy
gae tapsalteerie = go topsy-turvy.

πŸ™‚

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Jun 10

in the immortal words of our national poet, lifted from beetles profile

An thers a han, my trustee feer! An gees a han o thyn!
And we’ll tak a right gude-willie-waught, fir ald lang syn.

There's nought but care on ev'ry han',
In ev'ry hour that passes, O;
What signifies the life o' man,
An' 'twere na for the lasses, O.
Green grow, etc ...[text shortened]... a = was not
canny = snug/cozy
gae tapsalteerie = go topsy-turvy.

πŸ™‚
That is a great song, fir auld lang syne, great melody also. I would quaff a pint o'er that one!

Cape Town

Moves
27 Jun 10

So, Robbie, since you stopped discussing the probability issue, does this mean you have 'actually changed your view' on the matter? (as per thread title).

F

Moves
27 Jun 10

Originally posted by twhitehead
So, Robbie, since you stopped discussing the probability issue, does this mean you have 'actually changed your view' on the matter? (as per thread title).
He has changed a lot of views lately.
He now accepts that there are really paedophiles in Jehowas Witness.
Whenever he stops discussing one matter, he accepts his opponents views as the truth.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Jun 10

Originally posted by galveston75
Wow.....you seem to be a little angry at God here. Why? I mean does he not have the ability to have men write his thoughts in the form of book to mankind? Is he incapable of doing that?
What would it take for you to believe, a personally delievered carved by hand in stone message from God himself?
True man as a whole have done terrible things in th ...[text shortened]... thinking the ones in office should just throw it away because men keep brealking it's laws?
So which men 'get it right'? Jim Jones? David Koresh? Billy Graham Jr? Jimmy Swagart?

Did they get it right?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
28 Jun 10

So which men 'get it right'? Jim Jones? David Koresh? Billy Graham Jr? Jimmy Swagart?

Did they get it right?
Nope: just yours truly!

B
Death

is no semi-colon

Moves
28 Jun 10

Originally posted by FreakyKBH

I am humbled by their prowess and have been grateful for their indulgences. Their help has been immeasurable--- if not for spiritual growth, at least for confirmation that my foundation is secure.
i take it that by saying that your 'foundation is secure', you mean you that you have found compelling reasons to believe what you do.

what do you say to people of other faiths, or even atheists, who equally find that their foundation is secure? if your views about spiritual matters diverge, you can't both be right.

also, how did you derive confirmation that your foundation is secure from the debates in this forum?