has anybody here actually changed their view?

has anybody here actually changed their view?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
25 Jun 10
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
And another thing, why is it in most religions, Jewish, Christian, Islam, Hindi, and the like, there are no women or very very few women in positions of power in these 'faiths'.
Was there some edict from god saying women are inferior to men and therefore not capable of imparting wisdom? Why has it been that way for 2000 years? A few christian sects are beg to believe all that dogma came from a god and not simply from men seeking power structures?
not quite true, you should of course know of Deborah, who was both a prophetess and a judge

(Judges 4:4-5) . . .Now Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lappidoth, was judging Israel at that particular time. And she was dwelling under Deborahs palm tree between Ramah and Bethel in the mountainous region of Ephraim; and the sons of Israel would go up to her for judgement. . .

indeed the ancient Hebrews consulted her before a major battle involving some ten thousand men. You need a bible study my friend, women are too be honoured and treated with respect and dignity in scripture, although i cannot say the same for other religions, indeed, i can find many verses to the contrary from both Hinduism and Islam.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Jun 10
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
not quite true, you should of course know of Deborah, who was both a prophetess and a judge

(Judges 4:4-5) . . .Now Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lappidoth, was judging Israel at that particular time. And she was dwelling under Deborahs palm tree between Ramah and Bethel in the mountainous region of Ephraim; and the sons of Israel would go up ...[text shortened]... or other religions, indeed, i can find many verses to the contrary from both Hinduism and Islam.
Spontaneously started this sentence with, "Let's not forget..." then mid-sentence went with,

"Eager to meet and chat with Ruth, Mary Magdalene and Rahab the incredible prostitute."

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 Jun 10

(Judges 4:4-5) . . .Now Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lappidoth, was judging Israel at that particular time. And she was dwelling under Deborahs palm tree between Ramah and Bethel in the mountainous region of Ephraim; and the sons of Israel would go up ...[text shortened]... or other religions, indeed, i can find many verses to the contrary from both Hinduism and Islam.
Ok, lets see. One woman, 50,000 men in high positions. Now doesn't that sound equal?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Jun 10
1 edit

Ok, lets see. One woman, 50,000 men in high positions. Now doesn't that sound equal?
Here are some basic scriptures to help you see God's viewpoint on men and women in the Christian life's and congrgations. This is from the Insight book on headship.

HEADSHIP
The basic principle of headship is set out at 1 Corinthians 11:3: “The head of every man is the Christ; in turn the head of a woman is the man; in turn the head of the Christ is God.”
Man’s Place. The first part of this counsel on headship applied to the man; he is not independent and without need to recognize a “head.” Rather, he is obliged to follow the directions and pattern provided by his head, Christ. (1Jo 2:6) This is so not only in regard to his religious activities (Mt 28:19, 20) but also in his personal activities. For instance, if he is a family man, then out of respect for his own head, Christ, he should comply with the counsel to dwell with his wife according to knowledge, ‘assigning her honor as to a weaker vessel,’ and he should put forth an earnest effort to train his children properly. (1Pe 3:7; Eph 6:4) This counsel was provided in the Bible for all in Christ’s congregation; so respect for headship is involved in a man’s heeding it.—Eph 5:23.
As man had priority in human creation, he is given priority of position over the woman. (1Ti 2:12, 13) The woman was made from a rib taken from the man and was bone of his bones and flesh of his flesh. (Ge 2:22, 23) She was created for the sake of the man, not the man for her sake. (1Co 11:9) Therefore, the woman, in God’s arrangement for the family, was always to be in subjection to her husband and was not to usurp his authority. (Eph 5:22, 23; 1Pe 3:1)

(((((((Also, in the Christian congregation the woman is not to teach other dedicated men nor to exercise authority over them.—1Ti 2:12.)))))))

Among the Hebrews of ancient times the superior position occupied by the man in the family and in the tribal arrangement was recognized. Sarah was submissive, calling Abraham “lord,” and is favorably mentioned for this recognition of his headship. (Ge 18:12; 1Pe 3:5, 6) Under the Law covenant the preferred position of the male was emphasized. Only the males were required by command to assemble for the three festivals of Jehovah at the place that God chose, although women also attended. (De 16:16) The woman was ceremonially “unclean” twice as long after the birth of a baby girl as after that of a baby boy.—Le 12:2, 5.
Woman’s Place. In ancient times, there were circumstances under which a woman put on a head covering to denote subjection. (Ge 24:65) Discussing the headship arrangement in the Christian congregation, the apostle Paul explained that if a woman prays or prophesies in the congregation, occupying a position God has assigned to the man, she should have on a head covering. In temporarily doing these things because no dedicated male Christian is present to do them, even though she may have long hair, the woman should not argue that her long hair is sufficient to denote her subjection. Instead, she should let her own actions demonstrate her submissiveness and her acknowledgment of man’s headship. The Christian woman does this by wearing a head covering as “a sign of authority.” This should be done “because of the angels,” who observe the Christian’s actions and who, as those ministering to the Christian congregation, are concerned with it. By wearing a head covering when necessary for spiritual reasons, the Christian woman acknowledges God’s headship arrangement.—1Co 11:5-16; Heb 1:14.
This proper theocratic order in the congregation and in the family arrangement does not hinder the woman in serving God, nor does it impede her efforts in carrying out her family activities and responsibilities. It allows her full and Scriptural freedom to serve in her place, while still being pleasing to God in harmony with the principle: “God has set the members in the body, each one of them, just as he pleased.” (1Co 12:18) Many women of ancient times had fine privileges while recognizing the headship of the man and enjoyed happy and satisfying lives. Among these were Sarah, Rebekah, Abigail, and Christian women such as Priscilla and Phoebe.
Responsibility. The exercise of authorized headship grants certain rights, but it also involves duties or obligations. ‘Christ is head of the congregation’ and so has the right to make decisions involving it and demonstrate authority over it. (Eph 5:23) But his headship also obliges him to accept the duty of caring for the congregation and bearing responsibility for his decisions. In a similar manner, a husband in exercising his headship has certain rights as to making final decisions and providing oversight. In addition, though, he has the duty to accept responsibility for his family. He has the primary obligation to provide materially and spiritually for his household.—1Ti 5:8.
The Christian man is to exercise his headship wisely, loving his wife as himself. (Eph 5:33) Jesus Christ exercises his headship over the Christian congregation in this manner. (Eph 5:28, 29) As head over his children, a father is not to irritate them but is to bring them up “in the discipline and mental-regulating of Jehovah.” (Eph 6:4) And as shepherds of the flock of God, “older men” in the Christian congregation are not to lord it over God’s “sheep” but are to remember their subjection to Jesus Christ and Jehovah God. (1Pe 5:1-4) Jesus Christ has always acted in accord with the headship principle, manifesting full recognition of his Father’s headship in word and deed. Even after ruling the earth for a thousand years, he will acknowledge Jehovah’s universal headship by handing the Kingdom over to Jehovah, subjecting “himself to the One who subjected all things to him, that God may be all things to everyone.” (1Co 15:24-28; Joh 5:19, 30; 8:28; 14:28; Php 2:5-8) Christians, followers of Jesus Christ, also acknowledge Jehovah’s supreme headship, addressing their prayers to him and recognizing him as Father and God Almighty.—Mt 6:9; Re 1:8; 11:16, 17; see FAMILY; HUSBAND.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 Jun 10

Originally posted by galveston75
Here are some basic scriptures to help you see God's viewpoint on men and women in the Christian life's and congrgations. This is from the Insight book on headship.

HEADSHIP
The basic principle of headship is set out at 1 Corinthians 11:3: “The head of every man is the Christ; in turn the head of a woman is the man; in turn the head of the Christ is ...[text shortened]... nd recognizing him as Father and God Almighty.—Mt 6:9; Re 1:8; 11:16, 17; see FAMILY; HUSBAND.
So because of what your bible says, that justifies in your mind the subjugation of women. A man made book subjugating women to a lower status. Nice religion you have there. Great for men, not so great for women. So GOD is the one who hates women and that gives you the right to put them down to a lower status as a result. How about just defying your god and tell it to go to hell and I will put my woman on an equal footing? Why do you have to believe a 2000 year old book written by MEN?

F

Moves
26 Jun 10

So because of what your bible says, that justifies in your mind the subjugation of women. A man made book subjugating women to a lower status. Nice religion you have there. Great for men, not so great for women. So GOD is the one who hates women and that gives you the right to put them down to a lower status as a result. How about just defying your god and ...[text shortened]... ut my woman on an equal footing? Why do you have to believe a 2000 year old book written by MEN?
When I hear aboute galvestones views I'm glad that I'm not a christian...

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Jun 10

So because of what your bible says, that justifies in your mind the subjugation of women. A man made book subjugating women to a lower status. Nice religion you have there. Great for men, not so great for women. So GOD is the one who hates women and that gives you the right to put them down to a lower status as a result. How about just defying your god and ...[text shortened]... ut my woman on an equal footing? Why do you have to believe a 2000 year old book written by MEN?
You obviously didn't read the post completely and try to reason on the meanings there. The design by God works, always has and always will. But when humans move away from God's laws and principles and "do their own thing" then problems arise, and then you have as a result the world we now have.
The best example on record is Eve not heeding her husbands ( and God's ) warnings about eating of the tree, stepping out of that design by God and doing her own thing.
Why did God not tell Eve himself about the tree? Why did Adam have to tell her? Because the headship as mentioned in the Bible has a chain of process that we should all follow. If not respected, problems happen........

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Jun 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas
When I hear aboute galvestones views I'm glad that I'm not a christian...
I'm showing over and over "God's" views by scripture. Take it or leave it.

F

Moves
26 Jun 10

I'm showing over and over "God's" views by scripture. Take it or leave it.
Your scripture is not christian. It's JW. That's not christian.

I happily leave it.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Jun 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Your scripture is not christian. It's JW. That's not christian.

I happily leave it.
You are so seriously blinded to that degree that you can't even read the scriptures in ""your own bible"" and see God's words on this?...Wow. I feel so sorry for you.

F

Moves
26 Jun 10
1 edit

You are so seriously blinded to that degree that you can't even read the scriptures in ""your own bible"" and see God's words on this?...Wow. I feel so sorry for you.
You do not accept the christian bible. If so, why do you not use it?

Is it a habit of JW culters to use personal attacks? Is it a part of the JW culture?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 Jun 10

Seriously, how can you see this as some god's work? Why can't you see it for what it is, a book of short chapters written by many men over a long period of time. Why can you not see that is only one book supposedly written by a god when there are thousands of other books diametrically opposed to what your supposed god wrote and they think THEIR god wrote that book. Why can that make any kind of sense to you? I can only assume you are the one blinded by being so totally brainwashed as not to be able to distinguish reality anymore. You are also not living in the present, only concerned about your non-existent life after you die as the main concern in your life. That separation of reality from your life is what causes all the religious strife and wars and the deaths of millions of people over what, a STUPID book that drives men insane.

rc

Moves
26 Jun 10
7 edits

Seriously, how can you see this as some god's work? Why can't you see it for what it is, a book of short chapters written by many men over a long period of time. Why can you not see that is only one book supposedly written by a god when there are thousands of other books diametrically opposed to what your supposed god wrote and they think THEIR god wrote th ...[text shortened]... and wars and the deaths of millions of people over what, a STUPID book that drives men insane.
umm my dear friend you have as yet failed to produce any evidence for these assertions.

1. the Bible is merely the work of men and thus uninspired
2. that it degrades women.
3. that it is stupid to apply and live by its principles
4. that it has fomented war
5. that it separates reality from non reality

for there are many examples and passages to the contrary

this is not the science forum you know where you can build speculative hypothesis upon the interpretation of incomplete and scant data, we demand reason here you know! 😛

F

Moves
26 Jun 10
1 edit

... we demand reason here you know!
No, you don't, and you cannot in this Forum. This is the Spiritual Forum, where reason is set aside.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
26 Jun 10
2 edits

umm my dear friend you have as yet failed to produce any evidence for these assertions.

1. the Bible is merely the work of men and thus uninspired
2. that it degrades women.
3. that it is stupid to apply and live by its principles
4. that it has fomented war
5. that it separates reality from non reality

for there are many examples and pass ...[text shortened]... othesis upon the interpretation of incomplete and scant data, we demand reason here you know! 😛
this is not the science forum you know where you can build speculative hypothesis upon the interpretation of incomplete and scant data, we demand reason here you know!

That's going straight into my top 3 'Comedy Gold Spirituality Forum Quotes'.

Sometimes you're just too funny, i don't know whether you mean it or not, but i hope so because i refuse to believe you are THAT stupid.