Hebrews 1:3

Hebrews 1:3

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
04 Jan 20
2 edits

@secondson said
God has many names.
He does over time , but that is not my question.

KellyJay used, but mis-stated the phrase “in the name of the Father, and of the son and of the holy spirt” from Matthew 28:19 and which is recited globally as part of the trinitarian formula for baptism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinitarian_formula

I shall persist and I will ask for the fourth time; in relation to this scriptural command and as was carried out in the manner in which the apostles saw fit, throughout the entire book of acts ~ what is the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit?

An open question to anyone...

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
04 Jan 20

@divegeester said
He does over time , but that is not my question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinitarian_formula

I shall persist and I will ask for the fourth time; in relation to this scriptural command and as was carried out in the manner in which the apostles saw fit, throughout the entire book of acts ~ what is the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit?
To your first statement I say, God is not subject to time. God is immutable, unchanging, therefore His name(s) are "the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever." Would you be satisfied with the name Jehovah?

As to your wiki link, not relevant.

As to your question, did you read anywhere the "name" the apostles used when baptizing in the book of Acts?

No? Then use your intelligence and stop asking loaded questions. I will not explain it to you. Ask God. Read the Bible. And stop asking questions that are obviously driven by ulterior motives.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
04 Jan 20
1 edit

@secondson said
To your first statement I say, God is not subject to time. God is immutable, unchanging, therefore His name(s) are "the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever." Would you be satisfied with the name Jehovah?

As to your wiki link, not relevant.

As to your question, did you read anywhere the "name" the apostles used when baptizing in the book of Acts?

No? Then use y ...[text shortened]... u. Ask God. Read the Bible. And stop asking questions that are obviously driven by ulterior motives.
Why are you getting aggressive? Why are you always so full of anger?
It's just a question. Here is the answer...

Jesus commanded the apostles:
"go and baptise in the name of the Father and of the son and of the holy spirit."

There is not one instance in the entire NT where the disciples baptised using the trinitarian formula - which incidentally is entirely relevant.

The disciples baptised using the name of Jesus every single time without fail - thus: I baptise you in the name of Jesus Christ

and never: I baptise you in the name of the Father and of the son and of the holy spirit

So what is the one single name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy ghost? it is Jesus. Jesus is the name of the Father and the holy spirit - it's right there in Acts!

Irrespective of doves, prayers, calling out, they are the same single person, the same single entity. Not three. Three is pagan and totally unscriptural. The disciples new this.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Jan 20

@secondson said
I would say one and the same being.

I'm not confused, but words can be confusing, especially when trying to describe the infinite.

3 are 1 and 1 are 3. Who can understand that? Just as I am body, soul and spirit, God is Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
I agree it is complex, nothing in this world is like God so He is difficult to describe. Our words all fall short.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Jan 20

@kellyjay said
I agree it is complex, nothing in this world is like God so He is difficult to describe. Our words all fall short.
It's not "complex" it is "the mystery of God in Christ" as explained by my post above which you trins are avoiding.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
06 Jan 20

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Are there any other NT passages about Christ as Creator?

I would think to include the following, though some show Christ as the agent through whom are all things created. IMO it amounts to Him being the Creator.

"Has at the last of these days spoken to us in the Son, whom He appointed Heir of all things, through whom also He made ...[text shortened]... and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we are through Him." (1 Cor. 8:6)
Do you not notice and understand what the word "through" means in every line of these scriptures? Do any of these scriptures say Jesus himself on his own wisdom and power did any creating? No it doesn't at all.
Again the Bible calls Jesus the "master worker" when it came to the creations that Jehovah did.
You have to take this literally because it is. Jehovah was the creator of all including Jesus. Once Jehovah started creating the rest of all we see, he let Jesus's help with this process in ways we will never understand. But the point is you use these scriptures to try and prove your point but your missing the clear point which it is not saying Jesus created anything.
Now try again.....

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Jan 20
2 edits

@galveston75 said
Do you not notice and understand what the word "through" means in every line of these scriptures? Do any of these scriptures say Jesus himself on his own wisdom and power did any creating? No it doesn't at all.
Again the Bible calls Jesus the "master worker" when it came to the creations that Jehovah did.
You have to take this literally because it is. Jehovah was the ...[text shortened]... ut your missing the clear point which it is not saying Jesus created anything.
Now try again.....
You are correct; it doesn't say Jesus on His own did any creating, no one has claimed that so why dispel it? What you are attempting to do is put a separation between God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit that does not belong. You think when it speaks of Jesus Christ and says He is the same yesterday, today, and forever that the scripture lies? If you claim there was a time in the eternal past that Christ was not the same yesterday as He is today, anyone who professes that is in conflict with scripture, and it is scripture not opinions of man that matters here. God, we grasp not by the opinions of man but by the revelation given to us by God in scripture. Those that treat the Word like a fantasy novel can claim whatever they want, because they are making it up as they go, they are not looking at scripture as a revelation from the Almighty.

Hebrews 13:7-9 English Standard Version (ESV)
Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Do not be led away by diverse and strange teachings, for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by foods, which have not benefited those devoted to them.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
06 Jan 20

@divegeester said
Why are you getting aggressive? Why are you always so full of anger?
It's just a question. Here is the answer...

Jesus commanded the apostles:
"go and baptise in the name of the Father and of the son and of the holy spirit."

There is not one instance in the entire NT where the disciples baptised using the trinitarian formula - which incidentally is entirely relev ...[text shortened]... the same single entity. Not three. Three is pagan and totally unscriptural. The disciples new this.
What makes you think I'm getting aggressive and angry? You're being silly.

"So what is the one single name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy ghost? it is Jesus. Jesus is the name of the Father and the holy spirit - it's right there in Acts!"

Then there are three, and they have the same name, correct?

Three ~ Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Deuteronomy 6:4
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
shama` Yisra'el Yĕhovah elohiym 'echad Yĕhovah

Literally ~ Hear, O Israel: Jehovah our Gods is one Jehovah.

Elohiym occurs 2,606 times in the Old Testament of the KJV.

Genesis 1:26
And God(elohiym) said, Let us make man in our. image, after our likeness: (italics mine)

God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The Godhead is triune, but one God.

You needn't be consternated about it. No one can fathom it. Just except it.

1 John 5:7
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. These three are one.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Jan 20

@secondson said
What makes you think I'm getting aggressive and angry? You're being silly.

"So what is the one single name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy ghost? it is Jesus. Jesus is the name of the Father and the holy spirit - it's right there in Acts!"

Three ~ Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Deuter ...[text shortened]... oly Ghost: and these three are one.

The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. These three are one.
Yachid vs. Echad:
Deut 6:4: "Hear, O Israel! Yahweh is our God, Yahweh is one [Echad]!"

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
06 Jan 20

@kellyjay said
Yachid vs. Echad:
Deut 6:4: "Hear, O Israel! Yahweh is our God, Yahweh is one [Echad]!"
The Hebrew text reads,
"shama` Yisra'el Yĕhovah elohiym 'echad Yĕhovah".
"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:"

LORD > Jehovah
God > elohiym = Gods
Is one > 'echad = Yĕhovah

Where are you getting "Yachid"? And what does it mean?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Jan 20
1 edit

@secondson said
The Hebrew text reads,
"shama` Yisra'el Yĕhovah elohiym 'echad Yĕhovah".
"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:"

LORD > Jehovah
God > elohiym = Gods
Is one > 'echad = Yĕhovah

Where are you getting "Yachid"? And what does it mean?
One as in a number and one as in harmony and agreement.
I think your post was outstanding!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jan 20
1 edit

A case is often argued by some Bible expositors that the Hebrew adjective echad means a "compound unity." Thus, they say, the Shema (Deuteronomy 6:4) literally means:

Hear, O Israel:
The LORD our God,
The LORD is a compound unity.
This translation is then taken to be primary evidence that the Jewish Bible teaches the triune nature of God. In my view this interpretation of echad in the Shema isn't correct. There are three reasons why.

First
Echad has a spectrum of meanings in the Hebrew Bible. To say it means "compound unity" puts the word in a tiny box that doesn't match its varied uses by the biblical writers. It's like saying the word elohim only refers to the true God. When, in fact, elohim is used for false gods or goddesses, angelic beings, the judges of Israel, the king of Israel, and the Messiah.

More can be read at

“Echad” in the Shema by Paul Sumner

http://www.hebrew-streams.org/works/hebrew/echad.html

Including:
What Does echad Mean?
The Hebrew adjective echad occurs 970 times in the Tanakh. (Its feminine form, achat, is included in this total.) [Note 1]

"One"
By far, the most common meaning of echad (600+x) is the simple cardinal number "one."

Let the waters below the heavens be gathered into one place [maqom echad]. (Gen 1:9)
He took one of the man's ribs [achat mitzalotayv]. (Gen 2:21)

The man has become like one of Us [ke-achad mimmennu]. (Gen 3:22)

We are all sons of one man [ish echad]. (Gen 42:11)

The youngest is with our father today and one is no more. (Gen 42:13)

"Singularity"
Echad can denote oneness as "singleness."
[The Passover] is to be eaten in a single house [bayit echad]. (Exod 12:46a)
The [menorah] was a single [achat] hammered work of pure gold. (Exod 37:22b)

They...cut down a branch with a single cluster of grapes [eshkol anavim echad]. (Num 13:23)

Not a single word [davar echad] has failed of all He promised, which He promised through Moses His servant. (1 Kgs 8:56b)

Look to Abraham your father,
And to Sarah who gave birth to you in pain;
When he was one [single man] I called him,
Then I blessed him and multipled him. (Isa 51:2)

I will remove the iniquity of that Land in a single day [yom echad; same as Gen 1:5b] (Zech 3:9)

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
06 Jan 20

@kellyjay said
One as in a number and one as in harmony and agreement.
I think your post was outstanding!
Thank you kelly.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
06 Jan 20
1 edit

@sonship said

A case is often argued by some Bible expositors that the Hebrew adjective echad means a "compound unity." Thus, they say, the Shema (Deuteronomy 6:4) literally means:

Hear, O Israel:
The LORD our God,
The LORD is a compound unity.
This translation is then taken to be primary evidence that the Jewish Bible teaches the triune nature of God. In my view this inte ...[text shortened]... l remove the iniquity of that Land in a single day [yom echad; same as Gen 1:5b] (Zech 3:9)
Sonship, why do you always start a forest fire just to ignite a single flame?

What's more, nobody is reading the resource material you constantly cut/paste and plaster on these boards.

Not to hurt your feelings, but you're burying the discussion under a mountain of superfluous reference materials full of the opinions of them not directly involved in this forum.

For example: who said, "In my view this interpretation of echad in the Shema isn't correct."

Was that you, or was it somebody else's opinion? And how is the "Shema", and some unknown's opinion of its interpretation and meaning, relative to this discussion? Are we Jews?

And what's more, this forum isn't some virtual classroom at a university where you are the teacher dispensing a curriculum for us to study.

This forum is just a hole in the fabric of cyberspace with a dozen or so misfits arguing over matters that have been debated about for a thousand years by millions of others now dead.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
06 Jan 20

@secondson said
If you can read my post and reply to the explanation I've given it it's entirety rather than attempting to avoid it, it would be appreciated.