1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 15:43
    Alright, now that I've been summoned back into duty to save the Spirituality Forum from collapsing into ruin, we'll have to pick a topic to bitterly argue about. Any suggestions?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 15:471 edit
    @rwingett said
    Alright, now that I've been summoned back into duty to save the Spirituality Forum from collapsing into ruin, we'll have to pick a topic to bitterly argue about. Any suggestions?
    Do spiritual/philosophical mindmaps have a bearing on compassion fatigue?
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 16:26
    @fmf said
    Do spiritual/philosophical mindmaps have a bearing on compassion fatigue?
    Uh...I think that belongs in the 'General' forum.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 16:28
    @rwingett said
    Sure:

Atheists are wrong, deceiving themselves, and clearly in denial of the truth. The same goes for ex Christians too.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 16:45
    @rwingett said
    Uh...I think that belongs in the 'General' forum.
    How so?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 16:53
    @rwingett said
    Is there a 'spiritual' dimension to caring for animals such as pets?
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 17:14
    @chaney3 said
    Sure:

Atheists are wrong, deceiving themselves, and clearly in denial of the truth. The same goes for ex Christians too.
    Atheists are not necessarily wrong, as the position need not entail an active claim that theism is false, but could consist solely of the observation that theism is unconvincing, and therefore belief must be withheld, but stopping short of claiming belief in the opposite. If the latter position is scrupulously held to, the theist would be the only one making an active claim. The whole burden of proof would rest solely upon him in this case.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 17:17
    @fmf said
    Is there a 'spiritual' dimension to caring for animals such as pets?
    It could, if you define 'spiritual' broadly enough. From the above, it's not exactly clear what you mean, though.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 17:18
    @fmf said
    How so?
    Because then it would be out of my bailiwick.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 17:20
    @rwingett said
    It could, if you define 'spiritual' broadly enough. From the above, it's not exactly clear what you mean, though.
    Exactly speaking, I meant cats. But I didn't want to inhibit broader discourse.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 17:22
    @rwingett said
    Culturally speaking, do you think organized religion may have served its purpose?
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 17:30
    @fmf said
    Exactly speaking, I meant cats. But I didn't want to inhibit broader discourse.
    Cats. Right. Well, one should probably try to avoid offending 'Ceiling Cat', which is the deity most widely worshipped by cats. Not that his worship is especially fervent within most cat populations.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 17:34
    @fmf said
    Culturally speaking, do you think organized religion may have served its purpose?
    Organized religion may have had the function of providing greater social cohesion, but that was not necessarily its purpose.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 19:11
    @rwingett said
    Are you aware that to “Ming” means to smell bad?

Well never mind that... my suggestion is “charitable attonement” whereby those people who do good works can atone for doing various evils via various good works. And how would that be measured.

Oh and welcome back.
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 22:06
    @divegeester said
    Are you aware that to “Ming” means to smell bad?

Well never mind that... my suggestion is “charitable attonement” whereby those people who do good works can atone for doing various evils via various good works. And how would that be measured.

Oh and welcome back.
    That there is a standard per hour rate at which sins are expunged is a logical consequence of the New Testament conception of salvation as being an individual phenomenon. If salvation is seen through the Old Testament lens as being a collective phenomenon, then the means for achieving it are very different. The act of performing discrete charitable works within an unjust system is merely a mechanism for inflating ones own ego. The way toward salvation is to build a just system where charity is no longer necessary. That is the road toward the Kingdom. It is a social and collective phenomenon rooted in this world.

Jesus' followers maintained that collective notion of salvation after his death as they expected the Kingdom to be realized imminently. When that didn't happen, salvation was transformed from a social phenomenon rooted in this world, to an individualized one rooted in the afterlife. But the reason the Kingdom wasn't realized was that they were the ones who were supposed to build it. Their collective works were the means for realizing it. Jesus was there to inspire them, but he wasn't going to do all the work for them. They were to take an active hand in inaugurating that Kingdom, not just sit around and wait for it to happen.

So I hope that clears up why everything you've ever believed is wrong.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree