1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 18:07
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If there are fossils in the rock, then clearly that life is at least as old as the rock.
    But radiometric dating is not only used for rock, it is used directly on life as well:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dating
    "If there are fossils in the rock, then clearly that life is at least as old as the rock."

Not necessarily. Obviously the fossil came after the rock. Organisms, and other creatures could have gotten into diluvial matter or into silt and then the rock was formed.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 18:09
    Its you that is dancing with words, not I. You are not using the words with their standard English meanings.
    But what is worse, is you inconsistent in your usage suggesting intent to deceive.
    Then we really have a problem because I could say the same thing about you.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 18:14
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I have studied this.
    By that you mean "watched a youtube video by some anonymous person".
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 18:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    Start a thread on the Science Forum if you want to find out about how long humans have existed.
    No thanks. I know how long humans have been here.

But no one else here seems to know for sure. Evolution is a theoretical guessing game apparently, and always changing with each new brain hemorrhage theory some atheist scientist comes up with.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 18:16
    Originally posted by josephw
    Not necessarily. Obviously the fossil came after the rock. Organisms, and other creatures could have gotten into diluvial matter or into silt and then the rock was formed.
    So, the rock forms after the fossil. You just contradicted yourself. Or are you saying some of the components of the rock formed before the fossil? If so, then I agree.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 18:17
    Then we really have a problem because I could say the same thing about you.
    Say it all you like, it will remain a fact that it is you dancing with words and not I.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 18:19
    But no one else here seems to know for sure. Evolution is a theoretical guessing game apparently, and always changing with each new brain hemorrhage theory some atheist scientist comes up with.
    Yes, science progresses with time. I notice however that you don't complain when the result is a better internet or cellphone.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 18:21
    If you think you know God is infinitely just, but this particular issue seems to contradict that, then the question is 'which is right'? So I see no reason not to question Him. Why should you pick and choose what you want to about God?

[b].... is it no wonder that so many reject God?

I actually know of nobody that has rejected God. Do you? Or do y ...[text shortened]... st the way it is.[/b]
    So, as in the OP, you really have no answer to the thread title question.[/b]
    Then just keep asking questions, and never getting any answers.

You have no real reason to say that God doesn't exist or that God hasn't spoken to whom He will, and when and how. You merely reject what truth you hear simply because you just don't want to believe it, not because you know better.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 19:44
    No thanks. I know how long humans have been here.

So what about all the Christian biologists coming up with good work about evolution? Are they part of the vast conspiracy also?
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 21:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So what about all the Christian biologists coming up with good work about evolution? Are they part of the vast conspiracy also?
    What vast conspiracy?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 21:56
    Yes, science progresses with time. I notice however that you don't complain when the result is a better internet or cellphone.
    Applied science. Good stuff. But I can't use theory.

What I find so disturbing is that science can develop a machine that can tell how old the stuff of the universe is, saying the universe is 4.5 billion years old.

That is seriously obtuse. The universe has been around for God only knows how long, and man develops a machine within the last hundred years that can tell how old it is?

When will man stop fooling himself?
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 22:51
    Applied science. Good stuff. But I can't use theory.

What I find so disturbing is that science can develop a machine that can tell how old the stuff of the universe is, saying the universe is 4.5 billion years old.

That is seriously obtuse. The universe has been around for God only knows how long, and man develops a machine within the last hundred years that can tell how old it is?

When will man stop fooling himself?
    When zircon solidifies lead is forced out of the crystal structure. Uranium is not. After crystallization lead builds up in the lattice as the uranium decays. Because there are two naturally occurring isotopes of uranium which decay into different isotopes of lead the time measurements are particularly precise. The oldest rocks come out of the order of 4.2 billion years. This is where the estimate for the age of the earth comes from.

The universe is considerably older, it is believed to be 13.8 billion years since the big bang. This is based on looking at the redshifts in the spectra of distant galaxy clusters and working out how fast they are receding. The distances are inferred using standard candles. From this they can estimate the age of the universe.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 23:34
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    When zircon solidifies lead is forced out of the crystal structure. Uranium is not. After crystallization lead builds up in the lattice as the uranium decays. Because there are two naturally occurring isotopes of uranium which decay into different isotopes of lead the time measurements are particularly precise. The oldest rocks come out of the order ...[text shortened]... ances are inferred using standard candles. From this they can estimate the age of the universe.
    Scientific sophistry.

"Because there are two naturally occurring isotopes of uranium which decay into different isotopes of lead the time measurements are particularly precise."

What? Where did you cut and paste that from?

Besides, I already said I believed the earth is old.

But life on this planet is young.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Jul '14 23:57
    Scientific sophistry.

[b]"Because there are two naturally occurring isotopes of uranium which decay into different isotopes of lead the time measurements are particularly precise."

What? Where did you cut and paste that from?

Besides, I already said I believed the earth is old.

But life on this planet is young.[/b]
    I didn't cut and paste from anywhere. Those were my own words. Basically you get two measures of the age of the rock, so the measurements are more precise.

Evidence of microbial mats has been found in sandstone dated to around 3.5 billion years ago:
    http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/ast.2013.1030
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jul '14 00:04
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I didn't cut and paste from anywhere. Those were my own words. Basically you get two measures of the age of the rock, so the measurements are more precise.

Evidence of microbial mats has been found in sandstone dated to around 3.5 billion years ago:
    http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/ast.2013.1030
    Again, I don't have a problem with an old earth.

But the life on it is young.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree