1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 13:302 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    I would have thought most people engaged in "good works alone" don't believe in "heaven" and don't need the promise of getting there to make them engage in "good works".
    True.

Just an observation of how it was emphasized so much with us as kids that man cannot get into heaven by good works alone. That good works while good, were actually trivial in the big scheme.

That the guy who did absolutely no good works or only modest good works, but accepted Jesus Christ as savior, was heaven bound. Quite the opposite, the guy who did massive good works, helping society and others, giving of himself to friends, family, the poor, strangers, those in need, etc., but did not accept Jesus Christ as savior, was hell bound.
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 13:361 edit
    By the way, that is one thing I liked about JW's is that at least they had some emphasis on works. (I had a girlfriend who was a weak-practicing JW.)

But now I am wondering if the JW idea of "works" is more limited to witnessing, or only helping people in the cult, and cannot involve public service, for example. But I guess if it involves helping people, such as giving them food, or giving them a ride, or providing them work or a job, or giving a few dollars for s snack or a pack of cigarettes, etc., then I like that.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 14:111 edit
    Originally posted by moon1969
    By the way, that is one thing I liked about JW's is that at least they had some emphasis on works. (I had a girlfriend who was a weak-practicing JW.)

But now I am wondering if the JW idea of "works" is more limited to witnessing, or only helping people in the cult, and cannot involve public service, for example. But I guess if it involves helping peopl ...[text shortened]... a job, or giving a few dollars for s snack or a pack of cigarettes, etc., then I like that.
    Witnessing is primarily the work which we engage in, for Christ was known as a teacher, his primary work was that of teaching. Rather interestingly the Bible states that we should 'work good', towards all, but especially to those 'related', to us in the faith. When the twin towers came down in New York, we opened the doors of our facilities in Brooklyn to help those that needed it, when the Tsunami struck in Japan we did the same, as in New Orleans, as in Haiti, but humanitarian works are not our main focus, helping people overcome all manner of adversity through the application of Biblical principles is what we are really about, its the old adage, you give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

I myself was homeless for a time after my father kicked out for fighting with my brother, I ended up in a homeless unit where they had put all kinds of patients from a local asylum because it was being closed down. It was like one flew over the cuckoos next, some dude thought he was really Elvis and kept asking for his guitar, wore his hair in a quiff and everything, but anyway, the point is, I learned that its best not to give money, but food, so if I see a homeless dude asking i will generally give food rather than money.
  4. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 14:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Witnessing is primarily the work which we engage in, for Christ was known as a teacher, his primary work was that of teaching. Rather interestingly the Bible states that we should 'work good', towards all, but especially to those 'related', to us in the faith. When the twin towers came down in New York, we opened the doors of our facilities in Broo ...[text shortened]... but food, so if I see a homeless dude asking i will generally give food rather than money.
    Robbie,

you're just a hunk a hunk of burnin' love.

Aw haw haw.😀
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 14:54
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Robbie,

you're just a hunk a hunk of burnin' love.

Aw haw haw.😀
    LOL, you know when i was thrown out of the house my brothers ceremoniously took my bed and burnt it near the old gasworks!
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 23:06
    don't you just love the ignore button it gets rid of foul and slimy trolls in an instant.
    I suppose it also makes it look as if you haven't read posts that point out inconsistencies in what you have said, too.

With clear reference to 'work without faith' you say BOTH [1] that "without faith its not possible to please God", AND you also say [2] "whether or not God is pleased with it [you] cannot say".

You appear to be just making it up as you go along, one post contradicting another.

Which is to be?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 10:44
    Witnessing is primarily the work which we engage in, for Christ was known as a teacher, his primary work was that of teaching. Rather interestingly the Bible states that we should 'work good', towards all, but especially to those 'related', to us in the faith. When the twin towers came down in New York, we opened the doors of our facilities in Broo ...[text shortened]... but food, so if I see a homeless dude asking i will generally give food rather than money.
    Do you also teach how to get amnesia at will?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree