1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 04:57
    I think we should tell our congressmen, senators, parliament members, genetic scientists to support work on the virus that kills the god part of the brain, where the entire planet catches a cold and when they get well they look at the religious books written by the millions and go 'we believed in that BS?' Then the world begins to build a real civilization and have no more excuses to kill each other just based on dogma.

Anyone here sign up to that? We could probably have the ungod virus in a couple of years of research.
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 05:27
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think we should tell our congressmen, senators, parliament members, genetic scientists to support work on the virus that kills the god part of the brain, where the entire planet catches a cold and when they get well they look at the religious books written by the millions and go 'we believed in that BS?' Then the world begins to build a real civilization ...[text shortened]... here sign up to that? We could probably have the ungod virus in a couple of years of research.
    Hmm. Unfortunately it might turn out that the part of the brain in question has other quite necessary functions, so I'm thinking the best bet is to fight fire with fire and condition everyone to believe that Carl Sagan is God.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 06:49
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Hmm. Unfortunately it might turn out that the part of the brain in question has other quite necessary functions, so I'm thinking the best bet is to fight fire with fire and condition everyone to believe that Carl Sagan is God.
    And David Icke His Son. 😀
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 07:51
    Then the world begins to build a real civilization and have no more excuses to kill each other just based on dogma.
    You think if there is no religion that mankind will be free of war? What if there were just one unified religion surely that would stop all the disagreements. What if that religion didn't actually have a 'controlling' deity, that would be even better wouldn't it. Perhaps we should all be Buddhists?
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 08:09
    No religion😵
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 13:321 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    No religion😵
    Our theme song:

Gonna chuck my god cause I can't stand religion
    No I can't stand religion

Let us think together

We will all pray, pray for the success
    Pray for the success, I said Pray for success
    Yes let's all pray, pray for the success
    Pray for the success of atheism

Gonna chuck my god cause we can't stand religion
    No we can't stand religions no we can't stand religions
    Oh we gonna chuck those gods cause we can't stand religion
    And Glory be to thinking!
  7. Standard memberpyxelated
    Dawg of the Lord
    The South
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 13:54
    Our theme song:
    .... with annotations by the disloyal opposition ...

Yeah, there's a lot of emotion here... but where's the thinking?

Let us think together

Didn't Leibniz try that? IIRC he ran into some problems....

We will all pray, pray for the success
    Pray for the success, I said Pray for success
    Yes let's all pray, pray for the success
    Pray for the success of atheism

Now that's funny. Like the epitaph: "Here lies an atheist... all dressed up and no place to go."

On the other hand: "If there were no God, there would be no atheists." Let us think together....

(and just in passing: on one of the other threads, you claimed not to care whether God existed or not. Have you changed your mind so quickly? ... hmmm, more food for thought....)

Gonna chuck my god cause we can't stand religion
    No we can't stand religions no we can't stand religions
    Oh we gonna chuck those gods cause we can't stand religion
    Glory be to thinking!

Glory be to thinking, indeed! Keep on doing it, and if you're really interested in truth, you'll find it, eventually.... and please do chuck the false gods, along with the false non-gods.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 14:14
    Originally posted by pyxelated
    [b]Our theme song:

.... with annotations by the disloyal opposition ...

Yeah, there's a lot of emotion here... but where's the thinking?

...[text shortened]... tually.... and please do chuck the false gods, along with the false non-gods.
    Hey, you should glorify thinking, since that is what created religion in the first place.
  9. Standard memberpyxelated
    Dawg of the Lord
    The South
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 15:46
    Hey, you should glorify thinking, since that is what created religion in the first place.
    And you want to keep doing something that created the very thing you can't stand? Where's the logic in that? 🙂

If thinking comes up with both religion and non-religion, doesn't that render it just the least bit... untrustworthy?

But wait... what are we doing here?

And how can we avoid it? After all, we have to be able to trust something... otherwise there's no "reason" to do or omit anything. All bets are off. Eat, drink, and be merry!

Right?

(PS I do glorify thinking... correct thinking, that is. In Greek that's "ortho-doxy" (well, it's actually "right teaching," but since we don't come into the world fully capable of thinking for ourselves, that's extremely important.)
  10. England
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 16:01
    well ide catch it . and count myself lucky. tho you could call it wormwood star
  11. Joined
    25 Jul '11
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 16:25
    I think we should tell our congressmen, senators, parliament members, genetic scientists to support work on the virus that kills the god part of the brain, where the entire planet catches a cold and when they get well they look at the religious books written by the millions and go 'we believed in that BS?' Then the world begins to build a real civilization ...[text shortened]... here sign up to that? We could probably have the ungod virus in a couple of years of research.
    Too dangerous. What happens if it goes out of control and ends up killing not just the God idea, but God itself?
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 16:30
    Of course that is facetious, but... While there being no religion would remove an institution that serves some functions we wish did not need serving, primarily IMO, inter-group rivalry, I believe the withering away of a need for those functions with withering away of the parts of religion that serve them, is a better way to go. Otherwise, an effective ungod virus will result in some other institution, most likely, government, absorbing them, e.g., Naziism seeking to supplant religion, with the Aryan ideal taking the place of God, the dictatorship being the priests, and license to kill for the faith.

One would expect religion to be all in favor of eliminating inter-group rivalry. But some of the religious are, but some of those want to do it by eliminating, one way or another, their rivals.
  13. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 17:53
    Kind of hard to support that, and at the same time support people reasoning to philosophical conclusions. You, sonhouse, would really not support such a virus yourself (do I have to note that I get the facetiousness?). As long as you support reason and empiricism, you’ve just got to keep arguing… 🙂
  14. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 17:54
    Originally posted by black beetle
    No religion😵
    No holiness,
    vast emptiness.

--Bodhidharma
  15. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 19:37
    Originally posted by vistesd
    No holiness,
    vast emptiness.

--Bodhidharma
    Yes, yes -- but then what? 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree