Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 08:05
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Certainly you do not view all killings as the same. Even our court system
    makes allowance for different types of killings. Three degrees of murder,
    manslaughter, and self-defense. We kill animals for food and use the
    pesticides to kill bugs in order to protect our crops from destruction.
    We kill in war and honor soldiers for their bravery under fire with medals.
    So your ten commandments are null and void then. If I am not mistaken, there is that one that says something about oh, lets see, THOU SHALT NOT KILL.

I guess the ten commandments were just suggestions.
  2. Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 08:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So your ten commandments are null and void then. If I am not mistaken, there is that one that says something about oh, lets see, THOU SHALT NOT KILL.

I guess the ten commandments were just suggestions.
    But if you were going to be killed, would you kill in self-defence?

Would you clarify your position on that?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 08:45
    Originally posted by shahenshah
    But if you were going to be killed, would you kill in self-defence?

Would you clarify your position on that?
    I was just pointing out the logic problem with that commandment. Just as you say, if you are about to be killed, according to that commandment, you should just let yourself be killed and keep the high moral road.
  4. Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 09:03
    So you would agree that no-one should kill any bacteria or virus then?
  5. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 09:14
    I was just pointing out the logic problem with that commandment. Just as you say, if you are about to be killed, according to that commandment, you should just let yourself be killed and keep the high moral road.
    "you should just let yourself be killed and keep the high moral road."

Additionally, once your dead, you wouldn't get the benefit of having the high moral road. 🙂

Back on topic. Although I also dislike religion and what it is doing to the world, I also disagree with genetically enforcing people to "not believe in God" (if it were possible). Assuming there is actually a "God part of the brain", we would have evolved this to benefit our existence (likely a side effect for something else). As Soothfast said, eliminating it could have other disastrous unforeseen consequences.

If we do actually have a "God part of the brain", it would be more worth while researching exactly why we would have evolved this.

Also, such genetic manipulation has other consequences (as in "Brave New World", also mentioned in this thread).

P.S. Obviously this post will be from the viewpoint of an atheist, before anyone from a theist viewpoint was to argue against it.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 09:16
    Originally posted by shahenshah
    So you would agree that no-one should kill any bacteria or virus then?
    I wasn't railing against killing per se, just the commandment. It is contradictory. We eat life, whether animal or vegetable. So we kill every day. The commandment I assume was meant for humans since we are supposedly the pinnacle of creation and therefore shepherds of all the life on Earth. In that we are failing miserably. We are killing entire species and are in the middle of a man made mass extinction not seen for 50 odd million years.

So I guess we are free, according to christianity, to kill every life form on the planet and suffer no consequences.

But what happens if that leads to us offing the entire human race? Will their god come down and fix all the boo boo's, make everyone come back to life and we all live in the garden again?

I wouldn't hold my breath for that one. We off ourselves, we are gone, pure and simple.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 12:17
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    In what way do you think I am ignorant? Please educate me so I will not
    remain ignorant of the facts.
    you excuse christians for the murders they did in the name of jesus but you don't extend the same courtesy to muslims? have you talked to a moderate muslim so he could share his views on islam or do you get your information about islam from glen beck or whomever?
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 12:23
    I wasn't railing against killing per se, just the commandment. It is contradictory. We eat life, whether animal or vegetable. So we kill every day. The commandment I assume was meant for humans since we are supposedly the pinnacle of creation and therefore shepherds of all the life on Earth. In that we are failing miserably. We are killing entire species an ...[text shortened]... ?

I wouldn't hold my breath for that one. We off ourselves, we are gone, pure and simple.
    "We off ourselves, we are gone, pure and simple"

the correct way to address this is :"we off our selves, there is no evidence anything happens to us after"

lack of evidence of a particular phenomenon in a scientific setting doesn't mean the phenomenon is disproved. sure it doesn't mean it is proven either(obviously). however if you are gonna bash on religious people to not believe without proof, how about you do the same. there is no proof an afterlife in whatever form is non-existent.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 12:43
    I think we should tell our congressmen, senators, parliament members, genetic scientists to support work on the virus that kills the god part of the brain, where the entire planet catches a cold and when they get well they look at the religious books written by the millions and go 'we believed in that BS?' Then the world begins to build a real civilization ...[text shortened]... here sign up to that? We could probably have the ungod virus in a couple of years of research.
    Your post is a perfect example of typical god complex thinking. You actually believe in your own self righteousness to the degree that you have the right to decide who lives and dies, what people are allowed to think or believe or feel or say.

History is rife with examples of folks who think the way you do.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 14:27
    I wasn't railing against killing per se, just the commandment. It is contradictory. We eat life, whether animal or vegetable. So we kill every day. The commandment I assume was meant for humans since we are supposedly the pinnacle of creation and therefore shepherds of all the life on Earth. In that we are failing miserably. We are killing entire species an ...[text shortened]... ?

As I've pointed out to Dasa *numerous* times, in the original Hebrew, the word was murder. Thou shalt not murder. This is not contradictory. Murder is a sin. Killing in war, killing for food, killing in self-defense is not.

Despite your facetiousness, this world is a test. How we act here and the decisions we make here determine our future (or a lack of one). Humankind is free to do whatever it damn well pleases in these last days because the end is surely nigh, and there *will* be consequences. Your original post in this thread is an interesting concept, and I initially thought that it sounds like something the Antichrist would do in the last days, but it's not really. The fact of the matter is that right up until Judgement Day, we will have our Free Will intact, so that we are *fully* responsible for our own decisions and the choices we have made.

It is written that in the last days, men will seek death and not be able to find it. Things will indeed get that bad. The Antichrist will make his push for souls and those he cannot sway to his side, he will kill. Christians during the Tribulation, and untold millions of the rest at the Battle of Armageddon. Christ himself said that in the last days, there shall be no flesh left alive unless the end days are cut short. This is what mankind's shepherding of the earth has come to.

The good news is that there is a way out, not for your body, but for your soul. You only have to make the decision of your own Free Will. Choose wisely.
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 20:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    As I've pointed out to Dasa *numerous* times, in the original Hebrew, the word was murder. Thou shalt not murder. This is not contradictory. Murder is a sin. Killing in war, killing for food, killing in self-defense is not.

Despite your facetiousness, this world is a test. How we act here and the decisions we make here determine our future (or a lac ...[text shortened]... but for your soul. You only have to make the decision of your own Free Will. Choose wisely.
    Hey professor, aren't you supposed to be on sabbatical?
  12. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 20:33

It is written that in the last days, men will seek death and not be able to find it. Things will indeed get that bad. The Antichrist will make his push for souls and those he cannot sway to his side, he will kill. Christians during the Tribulation, and untold millions of the rest at the Battle of Armageddon. Christ himself said that in the last days, ...[text shortened]... , but for your soul. You only have to make the decision of your own Free Will. Choose wisely.
    Ach so...

Und, how lonk haf you had dees immolation fantasy?
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 21:211 edit

Despite your facetiousness, this world is a test. How we act here and the decisions we make here determine our future (or a lac but for your soul. You only have to make the decision of your own Free Will. Choose wisely.
    The only problem I see is the delusions suffered by billions of people who live for an afterlife so they don't have to do much here but spout how to be saved. Yes, 7 billion people can be deluded. I include myself in that number since I represent 1/7 billionth of it.

You can talk about tests and such all you want but the fact remains if we off ourselves, there is no nanny gonna come and rescue us.

If people really held that thought in their heart, they might just build a better world, one that is good for almost everyone, not just the overconsumers destroying the planet.

If the original word was 'murder', why did the council decide to use the word 'kill'?
    I am not even beginning to dispute you on that, it sounds very correct, yet the council broadened the definition way out of proportion. Wonder why.

Could it have been a simple mis-interpretation? I would think at least SOME of the original scholars would have known Hebrew well enough to have put in the correct word.

Could there have been some kind of political intrigue going on?

At the First Council of Nicaea I imagine all kinds of political hanky panky going on. Rush Limberger would have been proud.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 00:04
    I think we should tell our congressmen, senators, parliament members, genetic scientists to support work on the virus that kills the god part of the brain, where the entire planet catches a cold and when they get well they look at the religious books written by the millions and go 'we believed in that BS?' Then the world begins to build a real civilization ...[text shortened]... here sign up to that? We could probably have the ungod virus in a couple of years of research.
    I think this is an honest question and clearly presents a view many people
    feel Atheist really have. It isn't that they don't hold that God is real, they are
    against it, which is quite another stance altogether.
    Kelly
  15. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 07:57
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I think this is an honest question and clearly presents a view many people
    feel Atheist really have. It isn't that they don't hold that God is real, they are
    against it, which is quite another stance altogether.
    Kelly
    If they do hold that god is real, they're not atheists are they?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree