Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 May '16 08:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    Christianity is a religion because...

1. it advocates a belief in a supernatural and divine authority
    2. it has a membership defined by a common narrative and efforts
    3. it has specific beliefs and doctrines not accepted by non-members.
    4. it has designated literature and a theology creating a moral code

You can take theistic religions like Islam and Judaism and replace "Christianity" with them above the list of four characteristics.
    ... "religion" or a faith based perception in contrast to empiricism and rationalism?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '16 08:30
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    ... "religion" or a faith based perception in contrast to empiricism and rationalism?
    Christianity is no doubt a religion. It is an Abrahamic religion. It also enjoys many of the protections it has mainly because of its classification as a religion, and as such, for example, Christians are protected in the US by the First Amendment to the US Constitution. Removing Christianity's status as a religion would mean removing its First Amendment protection.

And yes, I understand that there are those in this very forum who rail against "religion" and try to separate Christianity from it. "Religion" is not a bad word. It is what it is. Instead of ranting about a "religion" or "religionists", Christians should embrace their religion and "own it" instead of continually trying to apologize for it.

/soapboxmode off
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 May '16 08:40
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    It's a religion. All religions generate notions and beliefs that their adherents might well describe as "faith based perceptions" or something along those lines.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 May '16 15:30
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Christianity is no doubt a religion. It is an Abrahamic religion. It also enjoys many of the protections it has mainly because of its classification as a religion, and as such, for example, Christians are protected in the US by the First Amendment to the US Constitution. Removing Christianity's status as a religion would mean removing its First Am ...[text shortened]... eir religion and "own it" instead of continually trying to apologize for it.

/soapboxmode off
    Christianity is certainly an opium of the masses, I mean, religion.

😛
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 May '16 15:31
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Christianity is certainly an opium of the masses, I mean, religion.

😛
    ... are the "masses asses"?

If so, who said it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree