Zoroastrianism?
    Exactly right. Z'ism is... that hard word you typed... 🙂

A religion that began with Zarathustra.
  2. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 16:35
    Originally posted by invigorate
    I used to be agnostic but now I'm not so sure!
    😀😵
  3. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 16:44
    Zoroastrianism has some ideas i agree with such as both sexs are equal (something that i think is lacking with most religions) and "Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds" seems like a good idea
  4. London
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 16:48
    Originally posted by Will Everitt
    Zoroastrianism has some ideas i agree with such as both sexs are equal (something that i think is lacking with most religions) and "Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds" seems like a good idea
    In what sense does Zoroastrianism claim that the two sexes are equal? Does it teach that men can bear children, for instance?

In what sense do you think most religions lack the idea of the equality of the sexes?
  5. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 16:481 edit
    Some religions vouch for social/political equity rather than equality, simply because the difference between men and women is recognized.

It's generally accepted that it's not an attempt to suppress one sex, or to limit "freedoms", but rather to sustain an equilibrium in society which is the most beneficial.
  6. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 17:03
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    In what sense does Zoroastrianism claim that the two sexes are equal? Does it teach that men can bear children, for instance?

In what sense do you think most religions lack the idea of the equality of the sexes?
    I think Christianity presents the male as the superior gender as 1)God is male 2)Adam was created before and eve after and out of Adam 3) God had a son not daughter 4) most of the main characters in the bible are male Moses, Noah and im sure there are more. 5) The pope is always male 6) most positions in the church are male only it is only the lesser ones that are optional to females

These are only aimed against christianity i think other religions have this bias as well but i know the most about christinaity.
  7. London
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 17:12
    I think Christianity presents the male as the superior gender as 1)God is male 2)Adam was created before and eve after and out of Adam 3) God had a son not daughter 4) most of the main characters in the bible are male Moses, Noah and im sure there are more. 5) The pope is always male 6) most positions in the church are male only it is only the lesser on ...[text shortened]... istianity i think other religions have this bias as well but i know the most about christinaity.
    1. The Christian God is not male in the same way a male human is. The traditional identification of God with male pronouns makes a theological point about humanity's relationship with God.

2. So? The Bible also points out that Cain came before Abel. Does that mean Cain was superior to Abel?

3. See point (1) above. Also, if Jesus were female, would you claim that Christianity held that women were superior to men?

4. So? You also have Eve, Sarah, Rebecca, Ruth, Judith, Esther and others in the OT. Besides, do you know of any human male that Christianity teaches was an Immaculate Conception?

Zarathustra was male - why do you not accuse Zoroastrianism of sexism?

5. Mothers are always female. What's your point?

6. Positions in the ordained hierarchy are male. So what? Does hierarchy equal superiority in your mind?
  8. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 17:23
    I usually label myself as a non-Christian Theist. However, I do follow most of the priniples and philosophies found in X-ianity (in my own way). I believe in God, but I do not believe in Christ, or that there was or is a need for such a person, even if such a wimpy sacrifice could accomplish anything.
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 17:261 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer

5. Mothers are always female. What's your point?
    A male mother is a nomological impossibility.

A female Pope is not. The Church has arbitrarily made it a logical impossibility by its definition of Pope.
  10. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 17:28
    “1. The Christian God is not male in the same way a male human is. The traditional identification of God with male pronouns makes a theological point about humanity's relationship with God. “
    Sorry I don’t really understand what the theological point is, but I’m sure the bible could have been written about god in a neutral gender.

”2. So? The Bible also points out that Cain came before Abel. Does that mean Cain was superior to Abel?”
    Eve was created out of Adam

3. See point (1) above. Also, if Jesus were female, would you claim that Christianity held that women were superior to men?
    I admit this point does not stand up on its own but with the others it all adds bias

”4. So? You also have Eve, Sarah, Rebecca, Ruth, Judith, Esther and others in the OT.”
    Well there would be people of both genders in there but I think that the more important jobs and most of the talking with god is given to the males

“Besides, do you know of any human male that Christianity teaches was an Immaculate Conception?” Yes but I’m not going to tell you. You will have to read the bible again and keep an eye out.

“5. Mothers are always female. What's your point? “
    Well that’s a biological point the pope could be a woman she’s not going to suffer internal nastiness as you or I would if we tried to be mothers. I’m just saying Christians must see the pope as one of the most important jobs in the world and one of the most important jobs can’t be given to females

“6. Positions in the ordained hierarchy are male. So what? Does hierarchy equal superiority in your mind?”

As for the last point I think that if you do believe that women are equal then you should let them have the job as pope/whatever they want, treat them equally to men.
  11. The sky
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 17:39
    6) most positions in the church are male only it is only the lesser ones that are optional to females
    To be fair, that doesn't go for all Christian denominations. You seem to speak exclusively about the Roman Catholic Church.

By the way, it seems there has even been a female pope once. But of course she wouldn't have become pope if it had been known that she was female.
  12. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 17:44
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    To be fair, that doesn't go for all Christian denominations. You seem to speak exclusively about the Roman Catholic Church.

By the way, it seems there has even been a female pope once. But of course she wouldn't have become pope if it had been known that she was female.
    Well some of the modern branches of the church are changing but I am talking about the more traditional church.

😲 About that female pope didn't know that. What did they do when they found out?
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 17:48

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. The sky
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 18:07
    😲 About that female pope didn't know that. What did they do when they found out?
    Well, I googled a bit, and it turns out that this is most likely a medieval legend. She is shown on some medieval pictures. I saw a medieval picture showing all the popes until then in an exhibition, and someone pointed out the female pope to us (she was the only one shown without a mitre, otherwise she looked just like the others).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Joan
  15. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 19:43
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Well, I googled a bit, and it turns out that this is most likely a medieval legend. She is shown on some medieval pictures. I saw a medieval picture showing all the popes until then in an exhibition, and someone pointed out the female pope to us (she was the only one shown without a mitre, otherwise she looked just like the others).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Joan
    I thought it was a well known myth.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree