1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 23:58
    Originally posted by Kevin Mcfarland
    Ya I agree with rating maybe not having much to do with intelligence. But I am still wanting to know my question? It seems only low rated guys on here talk about there faith.
    There is a 2000+ rated player on here who apparently concurred with my 'contact' experience with e.t.'s .
    As for me I am comparitively a lowly 1350.

I think you pose a good question and you may well have come across a trend between chess and faith. But it is no means the rule.
    There are too many variations between chess,intelligence anf faith to establish any major corellation
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 00:00
    Nothing just wanting to know if there were any higher rated players that were serious about there faith. So far you are the first to step forward. Thank you for responding to my post.
    Why would anyone step forward when by implication you assume Christian= dumb? Atheist=smart? Neither faith nor lack of have an IQ correlation. I only know one player personally on this site. He is a devout Christian and is an 1850+ player. Does he play well because he's Christian? I don't think so. Nor would he play better if he stopped reading the Bible.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 00:44
    How many of you have a rating over 1500 on here and go to church at least once a week or read the bible once a week? I ask becuase there seems to be a trend that the more schooling one has the less faith one has. Not looking to get stoned by this question just wondering. Thanks
    Suppose there was conclusive evidence that high IQ people are atheists and morons believe in God, what of it? Will that finding affect your beliefs in any way?
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 04:48
    How many of you have a rating over 1500 on here and go to church at least once a week or read the bible once a week? I ask becuase there seems to be a trend that the more schooling one has the less faith one has. Not looking to get stoned by this question just wondering. Thanks
    I deliberately keep my rating low. 🙂
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 09:09
    Originally posted by josephw
    I deliberately keep my rating low. 🙂
    sandbagger!
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 09:45
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i am sorry noobster, i cannot see it, is it hidden in the cloak of language? is the concept too far reaching and brilliant that i am unable to grasp it as Icarus tried to grasp for the sun? the facts remains, the original poster has tried to draw a correlation between, chess, religious observance and intelligence, as far as I can discern, Fischers r ...[text shortened]... o it is quite possible that i have missed your intent and I ask your continuing patience for it.
    I wrote it seems less likely, and not implying that everyone who has a high IQ doesn't hold religious beliefs as you assumed.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 10:011 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I wrote it seems less likely, and not implying that [b]everyone who has a high IQ doesn't hold religious beliefs as you assumed.[/b]
    yes quite, but why would it seem less likely Noobster my friend?, for i would hold the opposite to be true, the theist governed by his conscience is constantly having his perceptive powers trained, to distinguish both right and wrong, which you must agree, is conducive to exercising the mind, But alas to the sabre tooth tiger dodger, his entire understanding, having arisen from an assumption and a blind acceptance of a premise, finds himself in a position as one does when blindly following a data base line for the first time, for he has reached a position, but knows not how or why he has got there! 🙂
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 10:27
    yes quite, but why would it seem less likely Noobster my friend?, for i would hold the opposite to be true, the theist governed by his conscience is constantly having his perceptive powers trained, to distinguish both right and wrong, which you must agree, is conducive to exercising the mind, But alas to the sabre tooth tiger dodger, his entire unde ...[text shortened]... for the first time, for he has reached a position, but knows not how or why he has got there! 🙂
    So illogical it's untrue.

1. EVERYBODY has to distinguish what is right and what is wrong, it's not just something that's special to theists. Are you suggesting that because i don't believe in fairytale Gods that i somehow my conscience is tarnished unlike your superior one?

2. The theist is accusing the atheist of 'blindly following' data? Are you winding me up? If you can't see the irony here Robbie then you really are possibly one of the stupidist people i have ever come across. You're so indoctrinated you can't see the wood for the trees.

Do you not think that you just blindly follow? Do you not think that as a theist you're entire understanding is based on an assumption and a blind acceptance of a premise?

Robbie you're absolutley crackers.
  9. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 10:29
    yes quite, but why would it seem less likely Noobster my friend?, for i would hold the opposite to be true, the theist governed by his conscience is constantly having his perceptive powers trained, to distinguish both right and wrong, which you must agree, is conducive to exercising the mind, But alas to the sabre tooth tiger dodger, his entire unde ...[text shortened]... for the first time, for he has reached a position, but knows not how or why he has got there! 🙂
    Then a plague on both your houses, since nobody has provided compelling evidence for a correlation either way.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 10:40
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    So illogical it's untrue.

1. EVERYBODY has to distinguish what is right and what is wrong, it's not just something that's special to theists. Are you suggesting that because i don't believe in fairytale Gods that i somehow my conscience is tarnished unlike your superior one?

2. The theist is accusing the atheist of 'blindly following' data? Are yo ...[text shortened]... assumption and a blind acceptance of a premise?

Robbie you're absolutley crackers.
    no noobster, i did not state that i am in any way superior to you, that could never be, we are flesh and blood my friend.

what is of interest to me, is on what basis the non theist makes conscience based decisions, for the Christian has a framework and an exemplary model, whereas it seems to me my friend, that the non theist has not but the human field of endeavour from which to glean his knowledge, and as you and I are aware, fashions come and fashions go, thus what may be acceptable today is overturned tomorrow.

yes my friend i did have a little giggle at the irony but could not resist and in the immortal words of Bob Dylan , 'call me anything you like, i will never deny it'. 🙂
  11. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 19:57
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    Then a plague on both your houses, since nobody has provided compelling evidence for a correlation either way.
    It's not good for you to want misfortune on people.
  12. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 20:35
    Originally posted by daniel58
    It's not good for you to want misfortune on people.
    It is just an expression, not to be interpreted literally.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree