1. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jun '15 19:59
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    That may be so but what cultural, legal or religious reasons would a Christian woman who resides in Arizona have for wearing the hijab? Its difficult to say.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 Jun '15 20:16
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    You make personal and derogatory comments about my figure all the time, you call me fatboy regularly, what have you to say for yourself now?
    Wait, so are you fat? You're a fat zen master?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jun '15 20:38
    Originally posted by vivify
    Wait, so are you fat? You're a fat zen master?
    Have you ever seen images of the Buddha? does he not appear rather portly to you?
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Jun '15 20:55
    Have you ever seen images of the Buddha? does he not appear rather portly to you?
    Sigh.

That is not the Buddha, that is a characterized Buddhist monk. That's like saying a statue of a plump Christian is Christ.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jun '15 21:124 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Sigh.

That is not the Buddha, that is a characterized Buddhist monk. That's like saying a statue of a plump Christian is Christ.
    I don't think anyone is actually claiming that its a real image of Gautama Buddha any more than Christians claim their images are a real portrayal of Christ. Never the less the statues and images tend to be of a rather portly disposition and anyone not intent on pedantry, nitpicking and sheer pilchardlyness would have been able to surmise that from my text. I also think the term you are groping for is stylised, a stylised image.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jun '15 21:34
    I don't think anyone is actually claiming that its a real image of Gautama Buddha any more than Christians claim their images are a real portrayal of Christ. Never the less the statues and images tend to be of a rather portly disposition and anyone not intent on pedantry, nitpicking and sheer pilchardlyness would have been able to surmise that from my text. I also think the term you are groping for is stylised, a stylised image.
    So when you said "Have you ever seen images of the [portly] Buddha?" and then "does he not appear rather portly to you?" we were supposed to "surmise" that you were NOT suggesting that the portly image was Buddha but you were referring to someone else who was NOT Buddha and that you would have explained this even if Ghost of a Duke had not pointed out your apparent error?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 00:10

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 02:30
    That may be so but what cultural, legal or religious reasons would a Christian woman who resides in Arizona have for wearing the hijab? Its difficult to say.
    Christian women do not wear the hijab, that is for Muslim women. 😏
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 02:35
    She also said she does not wear the hijab and she obviously knew I was just joking about the moo moo dress. 😀
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 07:37
    I (Robbie Carrobie) assume nothing Duchess64
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 07:39
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Christian women do not wear the hijab, that is for Muslim women. 😏
    That is simply not true. I have seen many Christian women in Pakistan wearing hijab when going to and fro to their work or anywhere outside their home. This as has been pointed out by Duchess64 is for cultural reasons.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 07:431 edit
    You miss the point. The portly images of 'the Buddha' are not intended to represent the Buddha at all. (Unlike images of Christ). They are either a comical Buddhist monk or an image of Hotei (The so called Laughing Buddha) -A deity of contentment and abundance.

'Siddhattha Gotama (The original Buddha) was the prince who left the city to go live in the wilderness for six years. While he was out there, he lived the life of an ascetic, refusing food and nearly starving to death. Afterwards, he turned to the Middle Path, avoiding all extremes, such as eating too much or too little. After recovering from his time as a starving ascetic, the real Buddha was almost certainly a normal-sized man.'

*Edit. - Sorry FMF. Just read your post. I think yours was a better riposte to Robbie's ignorance on this subject.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 08:251 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    *Edit. - Sorry FMF. Just read your post. I think yours was a better riposte to Robbie's ignorance on this subject.
    robbie's ignorance is not as interesting to me as how he just cannot bring himself to admit an error ~ even when pompously brazening it out instead only serves to make him look furtive and deceitful. 🙂
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 09:082 edits
    That is simply not true. I have seen many Christian women in Pakistan wearing hijab when going to and fro to their work or anywhere outside their home. This as has been pointed out by Duchess64 is for cultural reasons.
    What business do you have in Pakistan? I am pretty sure Pakistan is a Muslim country. I have never seen any Christians in American wear a hijab. It is not cultural for Christian women to wear the hijab. Thank God for that. 😏
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 09:123 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    What business do you have in Pakistan? I am pretty sure Pakistan is a Muslim country. I have never seen any Christians in American wear a hijab.
    Pakistan may be predominately Muslim country but there are also many Christians. What business did I have there,? I was procuring and transporting arms for the IRA. Why would any Christian Americans wear a hijab, its not part of the culture.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree