1. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 03:32
    im not sure how this proves evolution, there are many species that are similar with each other but they are in the same family; does that mean they all evolved from the same species, or does that mean they are just similar? because if it doesnt mean they came from the same thing, then how does the similarities between human and apes prove evolution? i think it just means we're in the same family
  2. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 03:56
    From what I understand, if we have (closely) related structures, then there is a very strong chance that we evolved from common ancestors.

Does this answer your question; I didn't understand your wording completely...
  3. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 04:00
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    From what I understand, if we have (closely) related structures, then there is a very strong chance that we evolved from common ancestors.

Does this answer your question; I didn't understand your wording completely...
    but it does not prove anything, it just says we are similar.
  4. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 04:031 edit
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    but it does not prove anything, it just says we are similar.
    You're right...you can't be certain, but you can be 99% sure...there is "evidence (far) beyond a reasonable doubt"...

Let me ask you this, how do you explain the origin and existence of species if not through evolution...
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 04:04
    You're right...you can't be certain, but you can be 99% sure...

Let me ask you this, how do you explain the origin and existence of species if not through evolution...
    so; you believe evolution not because you can prove it, but because its better than the other theories?
  6. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 04:132 edits
    No, I believe in evolution because there is overwhelming evidence that it explains the evolution of life...

Think of it like a court case...you can't prove the occurence of the crime unless you have a video of it, but you do have evidence of its occurrence, including hundreds of eye witnesses and the lack of an alibi...
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 04:17
    No, I believe in evolution because there is overwhelming evidence that it explains the existence of life...

Think of it like a court case...you can't prove the occurence of the crime unless you have a video of it, but you do have evidence of its occurrence, including hundreds of eye witnesses and the lack of an alibi...
    it doesn't explain the existence of life, it explains the evolution of life.
  8. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 04:21
    it doesn't explain the existence of life, it explains the evolution of life.
    mistype, sorry
  9. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 04:24
    what makes it more credible than creationism if you can not even prove it? there is evidence of creationism also, such as the prophecies that have been fulfilled.
  10. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 04:30
    im not sure how this proves evolution, there are many species that are similar with each other but they are in the same family; does that mean they all evolved from the same species, or does that mean they are just similar? because if it doesnt mean they came from the same thing, then how does the similarities between human and apes prove evolution? i think it just means we're in the same family
    There's two issues here EV.
    Certainly there are some obvious similarities that suggest common ancestry. If we look at all vertebrate animals for example - they show the signs of having evolved from a common ancestor with 4 limbs. We all have this feature - although some now use two or four of those limbs in other ways than walking.
    There is also the issue of convergence in evolution. In simple terms this is when useful and similar features evolve more than once. A nice example is wings. Birds evolved wings. So too did some mammals - bats, flying foxes, for example. These features don't mean bats and birds share a common ancestor - they do, but so do we, and we don't have wings. It means that wings - a useful feature for these species in ceratin environments - have evolved more than once.
    There are many examples of convergence in evolution - you could see it as nature sort of choosing the best solution for a particular problem more than once.
  11. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 04:37
    Originally posted by amannion
    There's two issues here EV.
    Certainly there are some obvious similarities that suggest common ancestry. If we look at all vertebrate animals for example - they show the signs of having evolved from a common ancestor with 4 limbs. We all have this feature - although some now use two or four of those limbs in other ways than walking.
    There is also the issue ...[text shortened]... see it as nature sort of choosing the best solution for a particular problem more than once.
    why cant we see changes happening now?
  12. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 04:42
    Well you can if you look at the right species.
    Changes in any species rely on many generations to become noticeable. HUman generations are too long for us to notice much of anything happening - and don't forget, in a way, humans have circumvented evolution. Evolution works to enable adaptation to changing environments. We don't let a changing environment affect us much - we modify our environments constantly to suit ourselves. Heating, cooling, shelter, clothes, all modifications we've introduced.

But back to species change - if we watch species with much shorter generation timespans - bacteria, insects, rodents - we can see changes occuring over time.
  13. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 05:11
    As amannion posted, evolution doesn't take place within individuals' lifetimes; it takes place in a particular species over time. Genetic mutations, which affect a particular characteristic in an organism, drive natural selection and thus evolution. Some mutations prove to be more adapted to their environment, and those species are more likely to survive.
  14. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 05:14
    Check out this website...it's the online version of our highschool biology textbook, and it was a fairly easy read/outline/explanation of evolution:

http://wps.prenhall.com/esm_audesirk_bloe_7/0,8753,1140912-,00.html
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 07:40
    what makes it more credible than creationism if you can not even prove it? there is evidence of creationism also, such as the prophecies that have been fulfilled.
    Yes... fulfilling prophecies is good evidence...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree