1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 13:44
    “The Vedanta recognizes no sin it only recognizes error.
    And the greatest error, says the Vedanta is to say that you are weak,
    that you are a sinner, a miserable creature,
    and that you have no power and you cannot do this and that.”

Swami Vivekananda
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 14:19
    “Condemn none: if you can stretch out a helping hand, do so. If you cannot, fold your hands, bless your brothers, and let them go their own way.”

Swami Vivekananda quotes (Indian Spiritual leader of the Hindu religion (Vedanta). Disciple of the famous 19th century mystic-saint Sri Ramakrishna of Calcutta. Founder of the Ramakrishna Order of Monks. 1863-1902)
  3. Wat?
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 14:40
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    “Condemn none: if you can stretch out a helping hand, do so. If you cannot, fold your hands, bless your brothers, and let them go their own way.”

Swami Vivekananda quotes (Indian Spiritual leader of the Hindu religion (Vedanta). Disciple of the famous 19th century mystic-saint Sri Ramakrishna of Calcutta. Founder of the Ramakrishna Order of Monks. 1863-1902)
    Wow! He's ancient. 😉 (almost eternal) - what years again? 😕
  4. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 14:47
    Originally posted by divegeester

Swami Vivekananda
    India is a blessed Nation for such incarnations of God like Vivekananda or his Guru Ramakrishna Paramhans to have been born there. Swami Vivekananda(pronounced without any emphasis on the last a) was an extraordinary visionary,a remarkable Yogi, a Guru who not only developed many disciples but taught the Teaching of Hinduism--basically the Vedanta( again pronounced without any emphasis on the last a) Philosophy. He was a true modern day saint but still steeped in the ancient Indian spiritual tradition. He was a prolific speaker and his speeches captivated his audiences everywhere and revealed to them in simple language the highest principles.
    More to the point of the OP, he wanted everyone but specially the Indians to have confidence in themselves and their destiny. He asked them to be and know that they are and have been always strong. But space and time constraints make it difficult for me to relate his thoughts or even describe the extraordinary events in his life.
  5. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 14:56
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Wow! He's ancient. 😉 (almost eternal) - what years again? 😕
    The years 1863-1902 are right. Start with a reading of " The life of Vivekananda" by Romain Rolland translated from French by E.F. Malcolm Smith and the 20th reprint of which was published by Advaita Ashram Kolkata. Website of the publisher is www.advaitaonline.com
  6. Wat?
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 15:38
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    India is a blessed Nation for such incarnations of God like Vivekananda or his Guru Ramakrishna Paramhans to have been born there. Swami Vivekananda(pronounced without any emphasis on the last a) was an extraordinary visionary,a remarkable Yogi, a Guru who not only developed many disciples but taught the Teaching of Hinduism--basically the Vedanta( again ...[text shortened]... t difficult for me to relate his thoughts or even describe the extraordinary events in his life.
    Interesting that you and Dasa contradict each other. He swears blind he is not 'Hindu'!!!!!!!!!!!

-m.
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 15:41
    Interesting that you and Dasa contradict each other. He swears blind he is not 'Hindu'!!!!!!!!!!!

-m.
    I think Dasa's faith is Hare Krishna. Although members of that sect that I have met in the past have always espoused the value of humility too, so maybe not.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 15:41
    Even when you reject something,
    it is not backed up by giving
    some higher proposal....
    you just say I reject ...
    and that's it....
    a 7 yr old child with
    cerebral palsy can reject,
    its not difficult.

- Vishvahetu / Dasa -
  9. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 16:20

-m.
    Everyone talks for himself/herself on these fora,is it not ? As for me,I am lucky to have been born a Hindu,I respect my ancient religion and its principles. I am luckier in that I received a very strong Engineering education in one of the top engineering colleges in India where we had one year course in Logic and one year course in Ethics,apart from one year course in Modern physics and a six months course in thermodynamics before we went into our specialty in Civil Engineering for three years. I have always been interested in the teachings of our Sages whose teachings were always available to me- written in Sanskrit but translated and explained in my mother tongue Marathi,although I had done my Sanskrit also up to my first year in the college.I had a a nice Career,been to UK for some time and a good life, now at the age of 64 and half am ready to play chess and discuss with you people. Wrote all this just to give some idea of India and its people.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 17:081 edit

Swami Vivekananda
    Does the title of this thread reflect what you read into your quote of Vivekananda? If so, please explain in detail how you got there. If not, what is the meaning of the title?

He didn't say or even imply any of those things.

Perhaps a case of trying too hard to find something disparaging to say?
  11. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 19:54

Swami Vivekananda
    Swami Vivekananda has misunderstood Vedanta and has given the wrong conclusion.

His conclusion is....that we are all God, and Vedanta doesn not present this....its bogus.

Vivekananda is a fraud.

When you google for your info on Vedanta , you have to know where the authorized commentaries are, or you will be given incorrect information.

Most Vedic info on-line is incorrect.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 20:11
    Originally posted by Dasa

His conclusion is....that we are all God, and Vedanta doesn not present this....its bogus.

Vivekananda is a fraud.

When you google for your info on Vedanta , you have to know where the authorized commentaries are, or you will be given incorrect information.

Who gets to authorize the commentaries?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 20:341 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Does the title of this thread reflect what you read into your quote of Vivekananda? If so, please explain in detail how you got there. If not, what is the meaning of the title?

He didn't say or even imply any of those things.

Perhaps a case of trying too hard to find something disparaging to say?
    Obviously it does.
    No I won't.
    Yes he did.
    Your interpretation.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 20:361 edit

Vivekananda is a fraud.

Interesting you should say so; perhaps you and ThinkOfOne should get together for discussion on the value of plebeian interpretation of the Gurus and deep thinkers.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Feb '11 20:49

Vivekananda is a fraud.

Oh yeah, that's right, you are ALWAYS correct.

Everyone and everything else is bogus. Right.

After all, how can we forget this? You tell us every day.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree