1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 18:15
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Time having a beginning is not an assumption that is used in any scientific theory that I know of. Do you know of one? please share!
    Matter can be converted to energy as I am sure you know. The matter no longer exists. It has therefore been destroyed. It is [b]not
    simply broken down.[/b]
    The Beginning of Time

In this lecture, I would like to discuss whether time itself has a beginning, and whether it will have an end. All the evidence seems to indicate, that the universe...

http://www.hawking.org.uk/lectures/bot.html
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 18:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    Science can peer back as far as the Big Bang and no further so in that respect that is our beginning as far as they are know or will ever know.
    That's the best explanation I've seen anyone put forth on this forum for what "the beginning of time" means.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 18:20
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Not so. Science can not peer as far back as the Big Bang and there is no good reason to assume that we cannot know anything before that or whether or not there was a 'before that'. You sound very similar to someone who claims that you cannot travel beyond the edge of the earth (as you may fall off or get eaten by sea monsters).

ps There are a number of ...[text shortened]... it should be possible to test whether or not they are correct ie detect the non-visible parts.
    Since events before the Big Bang have no observational consequences, one may as well cut them out of the theory, and say that time began at the Big Bang.

http://www.hawking.org.uk/lectures/bot.html
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 18:25
    YouTube&feature=related

i just wanted to post a video where a theist uses science because it seems theists are stereotypically challenged in this area and i dont believe that is always the case.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 18:55
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    or the sources i am using are from theists who do not understand science. or you just do not understand religion.
    You can't have your cake and eat it too, EcstremeVenom. You can't have faith and try to provide a scientific backing for it. You need faith because there is absolutely no scientific backing for your position. If you could demonstrate your position scientifically there would be absolutely no room for faith. Pick one or the other, and ne'er the twain shall meet.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 19:38
    Originally posted by rwingett
    You can't have your cake and eat it too, EcstremeVenom. You can't have faith and try to provide a scientific backing for it. You need faith because there is absolutely no scientific backing for your position. If you could demonstrate your position scientifically there would be absolutely no room for faith. Pick one or the other, and ne'er the twain shall meet.
    Really? Just because one provides evidences for what they believe in no way proves what they believe. In fact, to believe without any evidences whatsoever would be absurd. As I have repeatidly said, believing in God is not akin to beleiving in Santa Clause. Why is this so hard to get across?
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 20:13
    As I have repeatidly said, believing in God is not akin to beleiving in Santa Clause. Why is this so hard to get across?
    Yes it is akin to believing in Santa Claus, it's just that for you the belief is stronger. Maybe that's why it's so hard to get across.
  8. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 20:52
    i have never said i have faith.
  9. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 20:53
    Really? Just because one provides evidences for what they believe in no way proves what they believe. In fact, to believe without any evidences whatsoever would be absurd. As I have repeatidly said, believing in God is not akin to beleiving in Santa Clause. Why is this so hard to get across?
    how is believing in evolution or the big bang theory any different from believing in santa clause? they both require faith.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 21:38
    how is believing in evolution or the big bang theory any different from believing in santa clause? they both require faith.
    Once again you reveal your complete ignorance. There is overwhelming physical evidence to support evolution.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 22:22
    now i am stuck in a position where i believe in god(s) but idk who he/she/them/it is.
    Don't worry about it. If you really want to know God he will reveal Himself to you. Have no doubt about it.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 22:58
    Originally posted by josephw
    Don't worry about it. If you really want to know God he will reveal Himself to you. Have no doubt about it.
    Why won't god reveal himself to those who don't want to know him?
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 23:09
    Why won't god reveal himself to those who don't want to know him?
    Because he's not rude?

If someone doesn't want to know you do you force yourself on them?

Like the girl or woman you would like to get to know but she shows no interest in getting to know you. You know she would like you if she would just give you a chance, but she acts as if you don't exist.
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 23:14
    Because he's not rude?

Like the girl or woman you would like to get to know but she shows no interest in getting to know you. You know she would like you if she would just give you a chance, but she acts as if you don't exist.
    I think he wants a God who will "put out." Who doesn't?
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 23:15
    Because he's not rude?

That is the lamest analogy I have ever heard.

So god is like a teenager with a crush? The cute girl wouldn't give him the time of day. Maybe that's why he drowned almost everyone in the great flood.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree