1. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 07:01
    i once had some sort of respect here but those days are now gone.i see now that it isn't really about helping people at all but a justification of god's own wrongs through other people.kind of look forward to the day when god realises what the actual problem stems from.it stems from you god because you have a need to justify your own perfection every which way possible.you don't mean much to me and don't do much good so don't try to give the impression you are all high and mighty.go your pit where you belong.
  2. Colorado
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 07:23
    Originally posted by windmill
    i once had some sort of respect here but those days are now gone.i see now that it isn't really about helping people at all but a justification of god's own wrongs through other people.kind of look forward to the day when god realises what the actual problem stems from.it stems from you god because you have a need to justify your own perfection every which ...[text shortened]... don't try to give the impression you are all high and mighty.go your pit where you belong.
    You’re a good person Windmill. Even if you’ve lost your faith I still have faith in you. 🙂
  3. Standard membercheezwhiz
    Good with crackers!
    lexington
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 07:59
    It is people that feel the need to justify His perfection, because their belief system would come crashing down without it. It is people who seek to justify their wrongs through Him, or be revealed as the despicable individuals they are.
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 08:59
    Originally posted by cheezwhiz
    It is people that feel the need to justify His perfection, because their belief system would come crashing down without it. It is people who seek to justify their wrongs through Him, or be revealed as the despicable individuals they are.
    It is people who seek to justify their wrongs through Him, or be revealed as the despicable individuals they are.

This part smacks of some truth.
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 09:10
    i once had some sort of respect here but those days are now gone.i see now that it isn't really about helping people at all but a justification of god's own wrongs through other people.kind of look forward to the day when god realises what the actual problem stems from.it stems from you god because you have a need to justify your own perfection every which ...[text shortened]... don't try to give the impression you are all high and mighty.go your pit where you belong.
    Unfortunately it's like taking on an approaching freight train with a club - good luck.
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 11:18
    Originally posted by cheezwhiz
    (1) Both of these attitudes, I think, “smack of some truth,” to steal Halitose’s phrase.

(2) Neither of these attitudes are universal among religionists, theistic or otherwise, on these forums or elsewhere. (And I didn’t take that as your assertion.)

(3) Both have, I think, at least a quasi-idolatrous aspect to them—“I don’t dare see my ‘graven image’ of God crumble, so I’ll cling to it come hell or highwater.”

(4) All of us probably ought to keep self-vigilance and beware of clinging to our beliefs as some kind of security blanket, refusing to challenge them (or permit them to be challenged) for fear of insecurity. [Alan Watts once wrote a book called The Wisdom of Insecurity; that’s all I remember of it offhand, but the title probably says it all.]

(5) People who use their religion (or any other ideology) as either a security blanket or a justification (or cover) for bad behavior are doing just that—using their religion. To draw an analogy that I’ve been playing with in my head: Abraham’s true act of faith was when he put down the knife.
  7. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 11:231 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    (1) Both of these attitudes, I think, “smack of some truth,” to steal Halitose’s phrase.

(2) Neither of these attitudes are universal among religionists, theistic or otherwise, on these forums or elsewhere. (And I didn’t take that as your assertion.)

(3) Both have, I think, at least a quasi-idolatrous aspect to them—“I don’t dare see my ‘gr ...[text shortened]... een playing with in my head: Abraham’s true act of faith was when he put down the knife.
    Succinct and true. Rec'd.
  8. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 11:371 edit
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Succinct and true. Rec'd.
    Thank you, Hal—although we both know that I am not always (many would say “not often” ) succinct; and as for “true”...well, maybe sometimes. 😉

BTW, I’m glad you didn’t stay away from here too long. I’ve exiled myself from the forums a couple of times: once for my own bad behavior, and the last time for, as you put it, introspection (once I lasted about three weeks; the last time a few days). I’ll probably do it again when I feel that I’m spending too much time on here, and losing my balance.

EDIT: Aha! I just saw that you wisely removed the "as always!" 🙂
  9. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 17:42
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Thank you, Hal—although we both know that I am not always (many would say “not often” ) succinct; and as for “true”...well, maybe sometimes. 😉

BTW, I’m glad you didn’t stay away from here too long. I’ve exiled myself from the forums a couple of times: once for my own bad behavior, and the last time for, as you put it, introspection (once I lasted abou ...[text shortened]... and losing my balance.

EDIT: Aha! I just saw that you wisely removed the "as always!" 🙂
    Indeed, a little introspection can never hurt. I'm happy to say, mine yealded its necissary results... and I'm back (for now).
  10. Cosmos
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 00:27
    When you realise that God does not exist, only then can you truly learn to appreciate life and live it to the full.
  11. Colorado
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 01:15
    Originally posted by howardgee
    When you realise that God does not exist, only then can you truly learn to appreciate life and live it to the full.
    So living life to the fullest means attacking theists on internet forums. Typical atheist…🙄
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 05:06
    What caused you to loose your faith may I ask?
  13. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 05:51
    Well, since everyone here plays chess better than I do, it only stands to reason that they're all much more intelligent than I am and they understand your second sentence. I don't. WHAT is a justification of God's wrongs through other people, and WHAT are those wrongs, and WHO are those other people? You can only claim that God is responsible for the wrong things people do if you believe that there is no free will and absolutely everything that happens is God's will. I can't even get my Sims to do what I want, and they're really just binary code. But if humans do awful things it's the fault of a God who you don't believe exists but yet controls the actions of every living being throughout history and including now? Or are you trying to say something else? Or are you just lonely and bored tonight?
  14. Colorado
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 07:47
    Originally posted by reader1107
    Well, since everyone here plays chess better than I do, it only stands to reason that they're all much more intelligent than I am and they understand your second sentence. I don't. WHAT is a justification of God's wrongs through other people, and WHAT are those wrongs, and WHO are those other people? You can only claim that God is responsible for the w ...[text shortened]... ow? Or are you trying to say something else? Or are you just lonely and bored tonight?
    I think he’s referring to my posts in the “God, the schizophrenic” thread. I basically attempt to theorize about how there could be a good God when there is such evil in the world. Free will of coarse is the easiest answer but some of the atheists on this sight who tend to outsmart themselves with their lofty powers of intellect won’t accept it.

As TheSkipper will attest to I have the monopoly on being bored and lonely.
  15. Cosmos
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 15:08
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    So living life to the fullest means attacking theists on internet forums. Typical atheist…🙄
    I am simply helping others to see the truth and sort out their archaic, spoon fed beliefs.

You accuse me of atacking theists and then attack me.
    Hypocrite.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree