I saw the Da Vinci Code!

I saw the Da Vinci Code!

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
23 May 06

Originally posted by royalchicken
Based on your review, I'd assume the code is real. I think that the Bible, when read properly, gives each reader the key they need to decipher the code in the film. Sincethe code in the reading depends on the individual reader and will be unnoticed by those who know Scripture through some intermediary, it's only natural that the Catholic church would be opposed to the film.
All I got to say about the code is : ... - - - ...

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
23 May 06

Originally posted by RBHILL
Well I know that you call yourself a so called Christian.
What is your take on it?
I will reserve comment (unlike some others) until I have seen it.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
23 May 06

Originally posted by kirksey957
I will reserve comment (unlike some others) until I have seen it.
.. - ... - - - -. .-.. -.-- .- ..-. ..- -.-. -.- .. -. --. -... --- --- -.-

C
Ego-Trip in Progress

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
23 May 06

Originally posted by frogstomp
.. - ... - - - -. .-.. -.-- .- ..-. ..- -.-. -.- .. -. --. -... --- --- -.-
It may only be a book, but so is the Bible, and look where that has gotten us.

-JC

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
23 May 06

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
This has to be one of the most entertaining documentaries I've ever seen. I learned many new facts about history, and found out that much of what I thought I knew was wrong.

For example, did you know that Jesus was married and had children? I didn't, but it was a recurring theme in the movie. Every time a relevant scene was on, the subtitle "TH ...[text shortened]... n the latest historical discoveries. I give it one big Buddy Jesus thumbs up.

Dr. S
Hilarity aside, whats the big deal if JC was married anyway? Or had 20 kids? If he was offed at the age of 33, he could have had ten kids at least if he was married at the age of 20 or so. Where in the bible does it say the fate of the world depends on him being a virgin?

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
23 May 06

Originally posted by sonhouse
Hilarity aside, whats the big deal if JC was married anyway? Or had 20 kids? If he was offed at the age of 33, he could have had ten kids at least if he was married at the age of 20 or so. Where in the bible does it say the fate of the world depends on him being a virgin?
Good question.

I think the offence is supposed to be in suggesting the truth was suppressed, rather than in there being something inherently wrong with him having been married. Although during much of its history the church has had such enormous hangups about sex that the idea that purity = no sex has a pretty strong hold.

There's also the implication, I suppose, that if he had a family he should have been looking after it instead of wandering around the countryside with a bunch of disciples.

The two notions are tied in a way. Somewhere in one of St Paul's letters (can't be bothered finding the exact reference just now) it talks about it being better to 'control yourself' and stay single and be able to be dedicated to doing God's work. I think Paul was really just focusing on the practicalities - that single people can do things that aren't possible for families - but I've no doubt at least some minds have taken this to mean it's better to be 'more like Jesus'.

l

London

Moves
23 May 06
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
Quite simply, Christ was not free to marry any woman on earth because He was already married in heaven - to the Church.

EDIT: There's orfeo's point about familial responsibilities as well.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 May 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Quite simply, Christ was not free to marry any woman on earth because He was already married in heaven - to the Church.
When did he say that?

l

London

Moves
23 May 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
When did he say that?
It's mentioned several times in the NT. A good list of references is at the bottom of the following webpage:

http://www.gotquestions.org/bride-of-Christ.html

There's also Christ's explicit use of matrimonial imagery in Mt chs 22 and 25.

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
23 May 06

Another point I didn't think of before.

Usually, the idea that Jesus settled down with Mary M and had a family implies that he didn't die. That is, it's supposed to have happened after the time described in the canonical gospels.

So there was no crucifixion (or if there was, it wasn't fatal), and no death and resurrection.

Needless to say, the suggestion that the crucifixion and resurrection didn't happen is a pretty fundamental red flag to mainstream Christianity.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 May 06

It's mentioned several times in the NT. A good list of references is at the bottom of the following webpage:

http://www.gotquestions.org/bride-of-Christ.html

There's also Christ's explicit use of matrimonial imagery in Mt chs 22 and 25.
You could just have said, no, he never said he was going to marry the Church in heaven, because he didn't. Metaphors aside.

l

London

Moves
23 May 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
You could just have said, no, he never said he was going to marry the Church in heaven, because he didn't. Metaphors aside.
Metaphors are not beside the point here - I'm sure vistesd could help you a bit more with how Jewish people use them.

The fact that the marriage metaphor is used so many times in books by different authors from different traditions suggest strongly that this is part of a common oral tradition going back at least to the Apostles, if not Jesus himself.

Besides, whether Jesus himself said the words "I'm going to marry the Church in heaven" isn't the point here - his celibacy has an eschatological significance in Christian doctrine.

C
Ego-Trip in Progress

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
23 May 06

- his celibacy has an eschatological significance in Christian doctrine.
Not to mention a farcical significance in Christian doctrine.

-JC

l

London

Moves
23 May 06

Originally posted by Churlant
Not to mention a farcical significance in Christian doctrine.

-JC
Don't have a dictionary readily available? Try www.dictionary.com .

C
Ego-Trip in Progress

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
23 May 06

Don't have a dictionary readily available? Try www.dictionary.com .
Half-hearted stabs at another person's vocabulary aren't exactly known as the better edge of valor pertaining to debate.

I have no trouble with such fanciful words as "eschatological". My response still stands, imagining you can pay for my own $5 with the change from your $10 attempt.

-JC