I wonder

I wonder

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 Jul 15
1 edit

We seem to spend more time talking about each other than we do the
topics themselves. I wonder what the percentages are from where we
stay on topic to where we attack or run down each other?

w

Moves
13 Jul 15

There are more interesting things to talk about other than me? 😲

rain

Moves
13 Jul 15

I think we should dedicate the entire month of August to bring negativity free. For just one month, no matter how badly anyone wants to, there shouldn't be one derogatory word spoken to another on this forum.

I think we can do it. We can have a contest to see who (if anyone) breaks first: the nonreligious our the religious?

Obviously, this would also mean that no side can goad the other (like saying Christians or atheists are stupid, or outright disrespectful mocking of God or scientists).

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Jul 15

Originally posted by vivify
I think we should dedicate the entire month of August to bring negativity free. For just one month, no matter how badly anyone wants to, there shouldn't be one derogatory word spoken to another on this forum.

I think we can do it. We can have a contest to see who (if anyone) breaks first: the nonreligious our the religious?

Obviously, this would ...[text shortened]... ying Christians or atheists are stupid, or outright disrespectful mocking of God or scientists).
I'm in...

rain

Moves
13 Jul 15
1 edit

Originally posted by checkbaiter
I'm in...
Awesome. We can't let this thread die. This could possibly be a historic month on RHP. Nothing but positivity.

Anyone else in?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
14 Jul 15

Awesome. We can't let this thread die. This could possibly be a historic month on RHP. Nothing but positivity.

Anyone else in?
I'm all for it! Truth is, in real life 😉, I'm a very positive and respectful person towards others. Maybe not perfectly, but I try my best to be the kind of person I truly believe everyone posting in this forum really is, in real life 😉.

I'm quite certain we can make this thread anything we want it to be! 🙂

Rude free.

rain

Moves
14 Jul 15
1 edit

Originally posted by josephw
I'm all for it! Truth is, in real life 😉, I'm a very positive and respectful person towards others. Maybe not perfectly, but I try my best to be the kind of person I truly believe everyone posting in this forum really is, in real life 😉.

I'm quite certain we can make this thread anything we want it to be! 🙂

Rude free.
Not just this thread, but the entire spirituality forum should aim for this goal.

The first 4 posts on this thread have a thumbs up with no thumbs down (yet). So this may be a good start.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
14 Jul 15

Not just this thread, but the entire spirituality forum should aim for this goal.

The first 4 posts on this thread have a thumbs up with no thumbs down (yet). So this may be a good start.
I can do that. Let's start today. I'm going to be as nice as I can. I could use the change. No overt negativity. A little sarcasm maybe, and objectivity.

Just people talking to people about things that interest them.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Jul 15

I agree, we should start now...

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
14 Jul 15

Well, wait a minute. There's a guy I need to say something to that keeps saying mean things to me! 😉

Oh wait! It's too late! 😲 I've lost my salvation! 😕

rain

Moves
14 Jul 15

Definitely, let's start now. I'm just saying, when August gets here, we should have solidarity on this goal, at least for a month.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
14 Jul 15

I'm in

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
14 Jul 15

The Ghost would struggle...

Cape Town

Moves
14 Jul 15

The problem is that is really isn't just about derogatory words. What typically happens is that one of the posters avoids answering a question - then their opposition starts to press or to bait them to try and get them to give a straight answer. This may come in the form of derogatory words, or it may be in the form of repeatedly asking the same question, or it may be in the form of speculating about why the poster doesn't want to answer.
Both the evasion and the response are the main causes of threads failing.
Although Kelly says he is 'in', the truth is that he is a master at vagueness - and that will not change and he has refused to talk to some posters - and that will not change. He is not known for being derogatory, so there will be no change there. So essentially he wants everyone else to change while he does nothing.
And yes, I am well aware that I am talking about a personality in a thread about getting away from just that. But when personalities destroy conversation, what can you do but talk about those personalities? Robbie is famous for calling any question he doesn't want to answer 'personal', and then announcing that he doesn't discuss personal things.
This thread seem to me an attempt to get licence to behave badly without consequence.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Jul 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
The problem is that is really isn't just about derogatory words. What typically happens is that one of the posters avoids answering a question - then their opposition starts to press or to bait them to try and get them to give a straight answer. This may come in the form of derogatory words, or it may be in the form of repeatedly asking the same question, ...[text shortened]... l things.
This thread seem to me an attempt to get licence to behave badly without consequence.
I think we all feel the licence to bad mouth in forums, saying things that never would be said in say, a round table discussion or even over beer and pizza with a group. I'll try my best not to be snotty.