1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 11:072 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think we all feel the licence to bad mouth in forums, saying things that never would be said in say, a round table discussion or even over beer and pizza with a group. I'll try my best not to be snotty.
    I think each participant in this experiment needs to stay positive and should feel personally responsible for holding up his or her end of the bargain. Each should refrain from using language and phraseology that will undoubtably be seen as inflammatory and derogatory.

But also, each should assume that the other is really just doing their best to express their ideas and thoughts, and may be getting "worked up" about it in the heat of the discussion if and when they swerve over into the proverbial ditch of negativism.

Part of being positive is giving the other the benefit of the doubt.

I'm having déjà vu. I swear I've said this stuff before in this forum.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 11:25
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    The Ghost would struggle...
    Can't say that I've heard the Ghost making personal derogatory remarks either. Fallibility though effects us all! Or is that affect?

Keeping to the ideal of positivism is the personal responsibility of each poster, imo, regardless of what another may say to provoke hostilities whether intended or not.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 11:332 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think we all feel the licence to bad mouth in forums, saying things that never would be said in say, a round table discussion or even over beer and pizza with a group. I'll try my best not to be snotty.
    My point of view as well. Nobody fakes good manners, common courtesy and civility online or face to face indefinitely. Politeness and social decorum result from an acceptance of authority and maturity; sooner or later the actual person is revealed. imo
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 11:35
    Originally posted by josephw
    Can't say that I've heard the Ghost making personal derogatory remarks either. Fallibility though effects us all! Or is that affect?

Keeping to the ideal of positivism is the personal responsibility of each poster, imo, regardless of what another may say to provoke hostilities whether intended or not.
    Bingo!
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 12:19
    I think it must also be noted that rudeness comes in many forms. It is well known that Kelly practices shunning, which is a form of rudeness and is actually used as a form of punishment in some societies. Grampy is well known for his extreme rudeness whilst using polite words. A 'thank you for your thoughts' comment in the wrong place can be the height of rudeness and in Grampies case usually means 'I am ignoring you and don't care what you have to say'.
    If anything a bit of colourful language can come across as honesty in the right context and extreme politeness can come across as snobbery or worse.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 13:00
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think it must also be noted that rudeness comes in many forms. It is well known that Kelly practices shunning, which is a form of rudeness and is actually used as a form of punishment in some societies. Grampy is well known for his extreme rudeness whilst using polite words. A 'thank you for your thoughts' comment in the wrong place can be the height of ...[text shortened]... oss as honesty in the right context and extreme politeness can come across as snobbery or worse.
    I think you're point is valid, that we should take care to be as forthcoming as possible when replying to questions posed. But we should be careful as well not to assume rudeness where none was meant.

Nobody wants to be played for a fool, but there are some here that haven't the slightest bit of respect for others. There are weeds in every garden.

I think we've all grown weary of the negativity of the debates in this forum. In all it's forms. I think KJ is trying to bring a fresh start to the table.

I for one am in. It's time for objectivity, positivity and respect.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 13:16
    I think KJ is trying to bring a fresh start to the table.
    Except that despite being asked point blank by divegester whether or not he would discontinue his shunning, he has not responded. Is he even reading the posts of those he shuns? Is that polite in your book? It doesn't look like a fresh start to me.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 13:37
    Except that despite being asked point blank by divegester whether or not he would discontinue his shunning, he has not responded. Is he even reading the posts of those he shuns? Is that polite in your book? It doesn't look like a fresh start to me.
    I see your point, but a fresh start doesn't include bringing up the past.

If the geester wants to press Kelly about past performance then I will let that rest between those two, but I don't think that debate lends itself to moving forward.

Sometimes we need to be satisfied with the answer we get out of respect for the one being questioned. It is not for me to decide that the one questioned should answer as I might expect. I may not like the way the poster answers or asks questions, but I don't need to make it personal with derogatory remarks about the one with who I'm debating. Which is the point of this "fresh start" idea.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 14:41
    I think it must also be noted that rudeness comes in many forms. It is well known that Kelly practices shunning, which is a form of rudeness and is actually used as a form of punishment in some societies. Grampy is well known for his extreme rudeness whilst using polite words. A 'thank you for your thoughts' comment in the wrong place can be the height of ru ...[text shortened]... across as honesty in the right context and extreme politeness can come across as snobbery or worse.
    "I think it must also be noted that rudeness comes in many forms. It is well known that Kelly practices shunning, which is a form of rudeness and is actually used as a form of punishment in some societies. Grampy is well known for his extreme rudeness whilst using polite words. A 'thank you for your thoughts' comment in the wrong place can be the height of rudeness and in Grampies case usually means 'I am ignoring you and don't care what you have to say'.
    If anything a bit of colourful language can come across as honesty in the right context and extreme politeness can come across as snobbery or worse."

Au contraire, my almost friend. I care about both the opinions and the eternal residence of every mother's son and daughter contributing to this online spirituality forum. I also respect the privilege of others to hold points of view contrary to my own and always will.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 15:03
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"I think
    it must also be noted that rudeness comes in many forms. It is well known that Kelly practices shunning, which is a form of rudeness and is actually used as a form of punishment in some societies. Grampy is well known for his extreme rudeness whilst using polite words. A 'thank you for your thou ...[text shortened]... also respect the privilege of others to hold points of view contrary to my own and always will.
    And that's the trick of it. To respect the other's right to believe as they choose!
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 15:11
    And that's the trick of it. To respect the other's right to believe as they choose!
    Damn right!

lol
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 15:29
    If the geester wants to press Kelly about past performance then I will let that rest between those two, but I don't think that debate lends itself to moving forward.
    But it is not about past performance. It is entirely about what will happen moving forward. I appears that Kelly has no intentions whatsoever of a 'fresh start' and plans to continue shunning those that displease him speaking ever so politely to the rest of you whilst his halo hovers above his head.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 15:32
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Au contraire, my almost friend. I care about both the opinions and the eternal residence of every mother's son and daughter contributing to this online spirituality forum. I also respect the privilege of others to hold points of view contrary to my own and always will.
    So you say, but your actions speak otherwise. That is my point. Rudeness is not just about foul language.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 15:36
    I respect peoples right to believe as they choose, but I do not respect those beliefs, nor do I respect people who believe certain things. I will not enact laws with regards to belief, nor will I try to change someone's beliefs forcefully. However, I will not respect, or show respect for, people who have offensive beliefs, (homophobia for example), or outright dangerous beliefs (promotion of genocide, restrictions on education, freedom etc).
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 15:41
    I understand your point, but aside from certain individuals we must remember that people have jobs and other interests. Sometimes I don't look at the forum for a week, unless I asked a question or have a particular interest.
    I try to browse quickly on a daily basis, but sometimes it is 2 days or more, depending on the circumstances in my life, which we all have.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree