1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 17:01
    @sonship said
    Let me briefly mention some people I have known who showed the overcoming side of Christ's salvation. All of these are true accounts.

1.) I knew a man who attempted to commit suicide by jumping from a high place. He broke his leg bones and became a cripple but he did not die.

He turned to Jesus Christ and became a fervent witness to Jesus in spite of this.

2.) I ...[text shortened]... at he is in pain. But he is. He survives on the empowering of the Spirit of the resurrected Christ.
    Are there any anecdotes out there about people with depression or mental illness turning to other religions or are the only anecdotes you know connected to your religion?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 17:102 edits
    Here is a website of testimonies of people overcoming suicide with the help of Jesus Christ.

Christian Testimonials Of People Overcoming Suicide

http://www.precious-testimonies.com/TestimonyCategories/Suicide/SuicideIndex.htm

PS.
    Anyone overwhelmed with the temptation to end your life, please seek professional help. You may always pray to God on the way.

Don't try to "macho" it out for the sake of any temptation to be super spiritual.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 17:18
    @sonship said
    Here is a website of testimonies of people overcoming suicide with the help of Jesus Christ.
    Are you aware of any testimonies from other religions or is your interest here merely plugging a kind of partisan religion angle as opposed to genuine concern for people with depression and mental illness?
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 17:29
    @sonship said
    I don't know that it was not treatable
    I don't know that there was no dignity left and I don't know that there was no hope. I know it was a very unfortunate event.
    I'm asking you directly how suicide is made obsolete by Jesus for people who 'do' have an untreatable condition, with no hope, and where the future only offers suffering and loss of dignity. Do you deny such conditions exist?!
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 18:011 edit
    I'm asking you directly how suicide is made obsolete by Jesus for people who 'do' have an untreatable condition, with no hope, and where the future only offers suffering and loss of dignity. Do you deny such conditions exist?!

Really, REALLY tough cases exist which would be over my head to offer some help, apart from my prayers.

What is this suppose to prove? Does it prove that I should not write "Jesus makes Suicide Obsolete" ? You want a formal apology from me for writing that ? Are you considering a law suit?

Hey, I could look over the last 1,000 thread titles too and demand some of them be rephrased.

If your general objection is that I don't know how bad it can get with some people, I don't argue with you about that.

We could meet somewhere in the middle. I could be more careful not to write something too wreckless and you could stop knee jerk sneering at all things Christ conveying here.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 18:052 edits
    I am reading some of the testimonies here.
    Thanks to everyone who shared their story.

This is not a wholesale endorsement about everything at this website. My focus is what Jesus Christ did in some desperate people's lives to rescue them.

Christian Testimonials Of People Overcoming Suicide

http://www.precious-testimonies.com/TestimonyCategories/Suicide/SuicideIndex.htm
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 18:234 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    And I am asking you to consider how outlandish the self acknowledged arrogance of your boast in strutting around announcing:

My arrogance sir is firmly based on my certainty of His non-existence. I am just as arrogantly certain that there is absolutely no celery in my fridge. (Long story).
    - Ghost

Their suffering may be over my head.
    But I sure wouldn't send anyone contemplating killing themselves to you.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 18:44
    @sonship said

What is this suppose to prove? Does it prove that I should not write "Jesus makes Suicide Obsolete" ? You want a formal apology from me for writing that ? Are you considering a law suit?
    It proves that your open claim that 'Jesus makes Suicide Obsolete' is erroneous. There are many people, of no faith and strong faith, who have taken their own lives when faced with an existence of perpetual suffering and loss of dignity.

Why would I be looking for an apology. I am openly challenging your assertion that Jesus makes Suicide Obsolete. This is a forum, not your personal pulpit.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 18:47
    @sonship said
    And I am asking you to consider how outlandish the self acknowledged arrogance of your boast in strutting around announcing:

My arrogance sir is firmly based on my certainty of His non-existence. I am just as arrogantly certain that there is absolutely no celery in my fridge. (Long story).
    - Ghost

Their suffering may be over my head.
    But I sure wouldn't send anyone contemplating killing themselves to you.
    Resorting to personal insult is disappointing and an indicator that you are floundering in a discussion you never should have started.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 18:552 edits
    Resorting to personal insult is disappointing and an indicator that you are floundering in a discussion you never should have started.

Where's the insult? I wouldn't send anyone to get help with suicidal issues to someone who claims he knows that God does not exist like he knows there's no celery in his fridge.

Do you count anything said of you not up to your level of self flattery to be an insult?

Pulpit and preaching? That's just handy talk for discribing anything you don't want to hear.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 19:02
    @sonship said

Where's the insult? I wouldn't send anyone to get help with suicidal issues to someone who claims he knows that God does not exist like he knows there's no celery in his fridge.

Do you count anything said o ...[text shortened]... ult?

Pulpit and preaching? That's just handy talk for discribing anything you don't want to hear.
    Should someone (of faith) contemplating suicide come to me, with decades of experience working with such vulnerable individuals and with the ability to refer to trained counselors and professionals, or to you, declaring joyfully, 'Jesus has made suicide obsolete?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 19:05
    This is a forum, not your personal pulpit.

I like to stand on level ground on the same level as everyone else. I don't like any kind of raised platform.

Now this thread was called "If anyone is contemplating suicide."

When the NT says that Jesus died for us it means that in more than one sense. He died a redemptive death to save us from the wrath of God against sin.

But He also died a death which terminates and nullifies the effect of that sinning nature that clings to us.

Many people reach a situation of hopelessness.
    Part of the Gospel is the realization that God knew you were hopeless a long, long time again.

And He went ahead of us to provide remedy to that problem.

I this way of dying FOR us to furnish us with the terminating power in the Holy Spirit, God has done better than the despair of suicide can do. He's made it obsolete , though admittedly that is a peculiar way to phrase it.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 19:11
    Should someone (of faith) contemplating suicide come to me, with decades of experience working with such vulnerable individuals and with the ability to refer to trained counselors and professionals, or to you, declaring joyfully, 'Jesus has made suicide obsolete?

It would be preferable to joyfully blurting out:

"I realize that you KNOW God does not exist, sir, like you know you have no celery in your fridge."

This forum is not my personal pulpit??
    Oh, is that because its too occupied being your personal couch?
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 19:151 edit
    @sonship said
    He's made it obsolete , though admittedly that is a peculiar way to phrase it.
    Not peculiar, 'profoundly naive.'

Every day, somewhere, a person of faith takes their own life. In what way has suicide been made obsolete?!
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 19:182 edits
    Not peculiar, 'profoundly naive.'

Here's some folks who might not agree with you on that.

Cut and pasted from table of contents at

DO I REALLY WANT TO COMMIT SUICIDE?

God's Liquid Love Engulfed Me - My Baptism In The Spirit Experience

FROM SPIRITUAL DEATH TO SPIRITUAL LIFE!

BEING LABELED A MURDERER CAUSED ME TO HATE EVERYONE An Incredibly Insightful Video About Suffering In The Life Of A Christian The Larger My Smile The Harder I Cried In My Heart

"THEN RUN!" SAID GOD

A NEW PERSPECTIVE ON HEALING
    HEALED OF GOD OF HIV/AIDS
    PLEASING MY HEAVENLY FATHER

IT CAME DOWN TO EITHER SUICIDE - OR GOD

GOD IS MY SHIELD

IS GOD REAL OR JUST MAKE-BELIEVE?
    STOP THE PAIN!

DEMONIC DELIVERANCE FROM SUICIDE, FEAR & LIES
    JESUS SAVED MY LIFE

OUT OF LIVING DEATH
    TRUE FREEDOM

GOOD HAS BEEN GOOD TO ME

SAVED FROM SUICIDE
    PLEASE MAKE THE PAIN GO AWAY
    THE CHILD OF DESTINY

NO MATTER HOW DEEP THE PIT, GOD IS EVEN DEEPER!

CHANGE - OR YOU HAVE SIX MONTHS TO LIVE!

FROM RAGS TO RICHES
    FROM A POTHEAD TO A PREACHER'S WIFE

THE MORNING GOD BECAME REAL!

40 Days - 40 Nights - 40 Years ... In a Barren Spiritual Wilderness

SUICIDE IS NOT THE WAY OUT!
    DELIVERED FROM YEARS OF SEVERE DEPRESSION, SUICIDAL THOUGHTS, HOPELESSNESS, AND THE SCARS OF SIN

BEHIND THE BADGE

DIVINE INTERVENTION FROM SUICIDE
    WAS I BORN TO BE ABUSED? NO! AND YOU WEREN'T EITHER!
    GOD'S STORY - MY CHAPTER

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree