If anyone is contemplating suicide.

If anyone is contemplating suicide.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Oct 18

@divegeester

If you get tired of me then stop chasing me around to urge me to "Talk about it with me again! Talk about it with me again!"

Or stop lying.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
14 Oct 18

@sonship said
@divegeester
If you get tired of me then stop chasing me around to urge me to "Talk about it with me again! Talk about it with me again!"

Or stop lying.
You’re calling me a liar..!

What is this some desperate attempt to avoid being hoisted by your own petard?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Oct 18

@divegeester said
You’re calling me a liar..!

What is this some desperate attempt to avoid being hoisted by your own petard?
You’re getting belligerent, tiger.

Bedtime, pal.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Oct 18

@divegeester said
I don’t believe you chuckled, you are far too vain.

Tell me again, before Christ, that you chuckled and I will believe you.

Willing???
“But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:

Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.

Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.

But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.“

(Matthew 5:34-37)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Oct 18

@divegeester said
No reply as expected.
“But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:

Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.

Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.

But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.“

(Matthew 5:34-37)

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
14 Oct 18
1 edit

Thumbs either way don’t usually mean too much but it is somewhat reassuring to see members of this forum (Christians and non-Christians) registering their disapproval of the flippant attitude to suicide by by the thread owners by thumbing down the OP and several of the succeeding posts by the author.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Oct 18

@divegeester said
Thumbs either way don’t usually mean too much but it is somewhat reassuring to see members of this forum (Christians and non-Christians) registering their disapproval of the flippant attitude to suicide by by the thread owners by thumbing down the OP and several of the succeeding posts by the author.
I don’t think the OP was flippant at all. He was saying, rather than off yourself, give your life to Christ. That’s a remarkably positive way of approaching the serious problem of suicide and all the heartache associated with it - not just for the person contemplating it, but for his or her loved ones.

Try not to be so shallow and knee-jerk negative in your thinking, tiger.

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
14 Oct 18

@divegeester said
Agreed.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Oct 18

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Agreed.
There’s a shock lol

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Oct 18
2 edits

@divegeester

Saying that trusting in Jesus Christ is better than killing yourself is not a "flippant attitude to suicide."

How is recommending to someone wanting to terminate their life that in Christ His death has a terminating power to set them above their woes by His grace, having -

"a flippant attitude to suicide" ?

Saying that Christ has made suicide obsolete is just having a MORE serious attitude towards the effectiveness of the Son of God in His work in the hearts of people.

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
14 Oct 18

@sonship said
@divegeester

Saying that trusting in Jesus Christ is ...[text shortened]... RE serious attitude towards the effectiveness of the Son of God in His work in the hearts of people.
That's not what you said sonship. You said Jesus had made suicide obsolete.

Had you said, ' trusting in Jesus Christ is better than killing yourself' you would have had fewer objections.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Oct 18
3 edits

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

That's not what you said sonship. You said Jesus had made suicide obsolete.

Had you said, ' trusting in Jesus Christ is better than killing yourself' you would have had fewer objections.

I did say that Jesus made suicide obsolete. And I explained WHAT I meant. Now if YOU got stuck so that you could see nothing else beside the offending sentence, that is not my fault.

Another thing. Whether I called a THREAD Jesus Made Suicide Obsolete, I can't recall. Maybe I did. Maybe I wrote that inside of a thread of a different name. I don't recall.

However, the LAST time I took up this thought was with a thread HERE entitled - If anyone is contemplating suicide.

And one more thing. The promises of God may be considered as trivial and meaningless to YOU, Ghost. But to many down through the centuries they have been precious, powerful, and a means for us to partake of the salvation.

Taking them in renews the mind. And the renewing of the mind leads to transformation of the soul.

"And do not be fashioned according to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and well pleasing and perfect." (Rom. 12:2)

Some very depressed individuals, along with availing themselves of professional help, I would not hesitate to recommend that they speak out and pray over the promises of God. God is faithful.

God honors our stepping out in trust of His word.

You exclude God from your reasoning process.
My reasoning process includes God, His power, His faithfulness, His trustworthiness.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
14 Oct 18

@sonship said
@divegeester

Saying that trusting in Jesus Christ is ...[text shortened]... RE serious attitude towards the effectiveness of the Son of God in His work in the hearts of people.
If a Christian commits suicide will they be sent to hell and, in your words, “glorify him in their endless woe”?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Oct 18
1 edit

@divegeester

I told you before that I did not have a belief that suicide is a mortal sin leading to eternal punishment necessarily.

If I told you before, why are you re-asking ? And if you are SO very tired of me why are you following me to converse ?

Where did you answer me about John 3:36 ?

Are all non-existent people abiding under the wrath of God ?
Where?
Where?
Where?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Oct 18
2 edits

I recall the story of a philsopher who was so very depressed that he attempted to drown himself in the ocean. I do not remember who is was, or if it was specified. But I believe the account.

After being saddened and depressed in his contemplations about life for YEARS ... he finally sought to walk out into the ocean and drown himself. But it did not work.

And crawling up on the shore in tears, weeping at his plight, suddenly a memory CAME to him. A remembrance from childhood came to him.

He recalled sitting with his mother - a Christian. He was a toddler. And she was asking him -

"Tell me now son, Who is Jesus Christ?"

And he was answering "He is my Savior."

The man came home to the Savior his mother had taught him about years earlier before he wandered away from the faith.

The living and faithful Jesus Christ was the answer to his saddened life that he wanted to end.