1. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 22:47
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    i didnt say you couldnt break the rules every now and then, but i would rather have god tell me what to do, whether or not i followed his rules
    And this is why Christian ethics is essentially childish; it represents an adversion to autonomy, an escape from freedom.
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 22:50
    would we kill him? if he started performing miracles and saying he was god, i bet he would die like jesus on the cross. i think that is the reason he doesnt show himself and forces us to believe in faith, what would really happen if somebody performed miracles and claimed to be god?
    There's a nice analogy to this one.

The Chronology Protection Conjecture (CPC) is an argument against the possibility of time travel to the past.
    It works like this:
    . assume time travel to the past is possible
    . at some point in the future, humans build a time machine and use it to travel back to the past
    . we should see signs of such backwards time travel, but we don't
    . therefore, it's not possible
    I discuss this with my science students because it's analogous to the search for extraterrestrial civilisations.
    One counter to the CPC they often come up with resembles the fate of the Bruce Willis character in the Terry Gilliam film, 12 Monkeys. He travels into the past and is locked up in a mental asylum because everyone thinks he's crazy.

I imagine someone claiming to be God might meet the same fate in our present world ...
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 22:531 edit
    Originally posted by bbarr
    And this is why Christian ethics is essentially childish; it represents an adversion to autonomy, an escape from freedom.
    Ha ha ha ...... you really believe your own nonsense, do you ?

You have no understanding whatsoever of the Christian faith .... ànd of what freedom is all about.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 22:54
    Christ is coming back to the earth soon. And this time no one will kill Him, nor spit on Him, no say anything foolish against Him. He is returning as Lord of Lords and King of Kings! And all of you and myself will bow before Him. This time around will be far different than His first coming!
  5. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 22:58
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Christ is coming back to the earth soon. And this time no one will kill Him, nor spit on Him, no say anything foolish against Him. He is returning as Lord of Lords and King of Kings! And all of you and myself will bow before Him. This time around will be far different than His first coming!
    Great.
    Thanks for that.
    And you have some evidence for this - other than the lunatic interpretations of an old book?
  6. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 22:58
    Put down the LaHaye and take a deep breath.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:00
    I wouldn't string Him up as long as He stayed out of politics. Just because You're God doesn't mean You can justifiably dictate how we are to live.
    "Just because you're God doesn't mean you can justifiably dictate how we are to live".

I don't suppose you can see how assinine that is?

If you create something it's yours to do with as you please. It's a no brainer! 🙄

I wish you would be more rational. Now don't go taking this personal. 😉
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:02
    would we kill him? if he started performing miracles and saying he was god, i bet he would die like jesus on the cross. i think that is the reason he doesnt show himself and forces us to believe in faith, what would really happen if somebody performed miracles and claimed to be god?
    The next time somebody performs miracles and claims to be God it will be the antichrist.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:06
    I would rather do what I had good reason to believe was right, rather than simply follow rules set down by others. If God could convince me with good arguments that His way was the best, then I would adhere to the conclusions of those arguments. But the mere fact that some jackass performs some miracles carries no moral weight.
    What if you were to witness a man raise someone from the dead and told you he was God? Would you give moral weight to him then?
  10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:09
    Originally posted by josephw
    "Just because you're God doesn't mean you can justifiably dictate how we are to live".

I don't suppose you can see how assinine that is?

If you create something it's yours to do with as you please. It's a no brainer! 🙄

I wish you would be more rational. Now don't go taking this personal. 😉
    Right, so if God decided that on Tuesdays he would torture redheads, that would be perfectly fine? He made the world, after all, so he can do whatever he pleases! Jesus, you're a dimwit.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:09
    Originally posted by amannion
    Great.
    Thanks for that.
    And you have some evidence for this - other than the lunatic interpretations of an old book?
    Yes I do. My life. I am a completely changed person from what I used to be. The way I see it, if anyone does not search for God with his whole heart, mind and soul, then life is futile. Christ will be to you as I stated above. Some will bow out of adoration, and many will bow for fear.
  12. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:11
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Ha ha ha ...... you really believe your own nonsense, do you ?

You have no understanding whatsoever of the Christian faith .... ànd of what freedom is all about.
    Poor little Ivanhoe. Deep down you know I'm right, but you're too terrified of your own humanity to admit it. Cast off the albatross of your misguided faith!
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:22
    Yes I do. My life. I am a completely changed person from what I used to be. The way I see it, if anyone does not search for God with his whole heart, mind and soul, then life is futile. Christ will be to you as I stated above. Some will bow out of adoration, and many will bow for fear.
    Ah yes, but this is your own interpretation of events that have occurred in your life. I would interpret them in a completely different way.
    Your response would be I guess, that God has saved you.
    I would say that you have saved yourself.

I'm bothered by the notion that many of you born again Christian types have that life is futile without God. I have no God in my life and find it completely meaningful and fulfilling. There are no empty spots, no places where I'm missing something.
    Yet your have your own fixation on, and requirement for, some sort of external validation for your life.
    Quite bizarre from my perspective.
  14. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:27
    Originally posted by josephw
    What if you were to witness a man raise someone from the dead and told you he was God? Would you give moral weight to him then?
    I'd be very skeptical myself.
    I'd need to see proof of death before the event occurred - and pretty clear proof too.
    There are a number of processes and substances that can mimic the appearance of death. Someone could easily exploit this for their own ends.

But to be honest, in the end, my belief in the nonexistence of Gods, would likely bias my interpretation of any such event. I would probably reject it out of hand.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:27
    You're not as autonomous as you think you are. Everything you express is a paroting of views already in the world before you were born. You're a product of your environment. A robot. A puppet. An automaton. In the end your just a slave to your own physiological passions, with no hope of remedy.

But don't worry. We're all the same. The only difference between you and me is that I know it, and have trusted Christ.

"And be not CONFORMED to this world: but be ye TRANSFORMED by the renewing of you mind,.." Romans 12:2

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree