1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:28
    Originally posted by amannion
    Great.
    Thanks for that.
    And you have some evidence for this - other than the lunatic interpretations of an old book?
    Well, he did say he was coming back.
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:30
    Originally posted by josephw
    Well, he did say he was coming back.
    Which is exactly what I meant by lunatic interpretations.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:32
    There's a nice analogy to this one.

The Chronology Protection Conjecture (CPC) is an argument against the possibility of time travel to the past.
    It works like this:
    . assume time travel to the past is possible
    . at some point in the future, humans build a time machine and use it to travel back to the past
    . we should see signs of such backwards time ...[text shortened]... .

I imagine someone claiming to be God might meet the same fate in our present world ...
    There are alot of poor souls in asylums who think they are God, and other people they're not.

That CPC stuff sounds interesting.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:34
    Which is exactly what I meant by lunatic interpretations.
    It's in plain english. He said he was coming the first time, and did. Why not again?
  5. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:34
    You're not as autonomous as you think you are. Everything you express is a paroting of views already in the world before you were born. You're a product of your environment. A robot. A puppet. An automaton. In the end your just a slave to your own physiological passions, with no hope of remedy.

But don't worry. We're all the same. The only difference betw ...[text shortened]... CONFORMED to this world: but be ye TRANSFORMED by the renewing of you mind,.." Romans 12:2
    Autonomous doesn't mean "self-created", it means "self-governed". In other words, it is no threat to autonomy that the reasons I act on are reasons that others have acted on. What matters is that I do not take my reasons to have normative force simply because others have claimed that they do. This is why Christian ethics is childish; you determine what your reasons are on the basis of the proclamations of some putative authority, just like children do with their parents. Moral development requires that you find out why the reasons your parents give you are good ones, but this is impossilble for Christians without denying the very basis of Christian ethics: namely that God determines what is right and wrong.
  6. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:38
    It's in plain english. He said he was coming the first time, and did. Why not again?
    I've got a book I read to my kids that says Santa Claus is coming again and again.
    It's in plain English too.
    But only an idiot would actually believe it.
    I'm not calling you an idiot, but I am saying that sometimes things we read aren't meant to be literally interpreted.
  7. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:39
    There are alot of poor souls in asylums who think they are God, and other people they're not.

That CPC stuff sounds interesting.
    It is, and of course, students love to talk about this stuff.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:46
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Right, so if God decided that on Tuesdays he would torture redheads, that would be perfectly fine? He made the world, after all, so he can do whatever he pleases! Jesus, you're a dimwit.
    You gotta be on some kind of hallucinogen to reason the way you do!

But you did get one thing right when you said, "He made the world, after all, so he can do whatever he pleases." But even that's not rational if you look at it another way. That is, God can do as he pleases reguardless.

Besides, you don't even believe in God. You just believe in you and in insulting those who believe in God. That's dimwitted.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jun '07 23:58
    I've got a book I read to my kids that says Santa Claus is coming again and again.
    It's in plain English too.
    But only an idiot would actually believe it.
    I'm not calling you an idiot, but I am saying that sometimes things we read aren't meant to be literally interpreted.
    I understand your point, but Jesus isn't a fairytail. For some the difference between fiction and reality is hard to define. But that isn't the case here. I think you and I can tell the difference. Believing that Jesus walked on the water is really a matter of faith. One isn't necessarily "crazy" just because he believes one way or the other.

I know some christians that are idiots. They believe things wrongly. They confuse and misinterpret the bible all the time. Even I am guilty of doing that.

I'm starting to ramble.......
  10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves

But you did get one thing right when you said, "He made the world, after all, so he can do whatever he pleases." But even that's not rational if you look at it another way. That is, God can do as he pleases reguardless.

Besides, you don't even believe in God. You just believe in you and in insulting those who believe in God. That's dimwitted.
    Yes, I know it's hard to stomach the implications of your own absurd views. Here, I'll take it slowly so you can keep up.

You believe that God created everything.

So, you believe that it is morally permissible for God do with everything anything that he wants. This is the implication of your claim above.

So, it would be morally permissible for God to torture redheads every Tuesday.

But, it is clearly wrong to torture redheads every Tuesday.

Hence, at least one of your beliefs is false. Either you must reject that God created everything, or that it is permissible for God to whatever he wants with everything. Alternatively, of course, you could just believe contradictory claims, this seems par for the course with your ilk.
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves

He never insults me. Well, I'll take that back. He really humiliated me in a game.
  12. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    06 Jun '07 00:02
    I understand your point, but Jesus isn't a fairytail. For some the difference between fiction and reality is hard to define. But that isn't the case here. I think you and I can tell the difference. Believing that Jesus walked on the water is really a matter of faith. One isn't necessarily "crazy" just because he believes one way or the other.

I know some ...[text shortened]... the bible all the time. Even I am guilty of doing that.

I'm starting to ramble.......
    No, I completely agree.
    It would be idiotic for me to call all religious people idiots - some do that here, but I find it unhelpful. (Although just between you and me, there truly are some idiots that post here.)

I don't seriously think Jesus's story is a fairytale, but I do differ in my interpretation of that story. And yes, you're right, either perspective is really a matter of faith.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Jun '07 00:03
    It is, and of course, students love to talk about this stuff.
    I wish some in this forum would have a better attitude, and try having some fun just bandying ideas around instead of thinking that just because someone has a faith that somehow they deserve to be considered as less than subhuman.
  14. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    06 Jun '07 00:03
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    He never insults me. Well, I'll take that back. He really humiliated me in a game.
    No, but you are more Kierkegaard than Falwell. Well, Kierkegaard tempered with Chappelle.
  15. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    06 Jun '07 00:04
    I wish some in this forum would have a better attitude, and try having some fun just bandying ideas around instead of thinking that just because someone has a faith that somehow they deserve to be considered as less than subhuman.
    Do you think Bbarr has a faith?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree