If it's proven there's no god

If it's proven there's no god

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
19 Apr 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
No one has said its unhealthy what I am disputing is your assumption that its due to overeating. Are you seriously telling us that its due to overeating and there are no other factors?
This is what you said earlier in the thread -

wilfully engaging in a practice you know to be unhealthy is morally reprehensible.

Obesity is unhealthy so therefore it is morally reprehensible according to your logic. The deaths from the result of obesity related diseases are astronomical compared to those who die from HIV.

rc

Moves
19 Apr 15

Originally posted by Proper Knob
This is what you said earlier in the thread -

wilfully engaging in a practice you know to be unhealthy is morally reprehensible.

Obesity is unhealthy so therefore it is morally reprehensible according to your logic. The deaths from the result of obesity related diseases are astronomical compared to those who die from HIV.
I have explained to you three times, you may have a superficially deductively sound argument but its logically fallacious for reasons also already stated. You are using a false analogy.

rc

Moves
19 Apr 15

How else is someone going become obese if not through overeating? (Granted there are very, very few people who due to medical reasons are obese. But I'm discussing the other 99.99% of obese people)
by lack of exercise, by eating the wrong kinds of foods, by comfort eating because of depression or lack of self esteem, I am sure there are many reasons.

F

Moves
19 Apr 15

I have explained to you three times, you may have a superficially deductively sound argument but its logically fallacious for reasons also already stated. You are using a false analogy.
But it is you who is arguing that something is immoral if it has inherent risks. The analogies reveal the nonsense of your stance. If you want to declare homosexual sex a "sin" then go ahead and do so, but your argument as to what is moral and not moral on this issue is simply not convincing. You ought to be more guarded as you may wish to be taken seriously in future discussions about morality and all your disingenuous squirming on this thread will undoubtedly come to mind.

F

Moves
19 Apr 15

by lack of exercise, by eating the wrong kinds of foods, by comfort eating because of depression or lack of self esteem, I am sure there are many reasons.
Given the risks inherent in permutations of these 'reasons', do they combine to be morally reprehensible behaviour?

rc

Moves
19 Apr 15

Originally posted by FMF
Given the risks inherent in permutations of these 'reasons', do they combine to be morally reprehensible behaviour?
they may or they may not, its difficult to say at present.

rc

Moves
19 Apr 15

Originally posted by FMF
But it is you who is arguing that something is immoral if it has inherent risks. The analogies reveal the nonsense of your stance. If you want to declare homosexual sex a "sin" then go ahead and do so, but your argument as to what is moral and not moral on this issue is simply not convincing. You ought to be more guarded as you may wish to be taken seriously in ...[text shortened]... about morality and all your disingenuous squirming on this thread will undoubtedly come to mind.
no the do not, the analogies are logically fallacious. Infcat they are so remote as to be ludicrous, that is what makes them fallacious. They may appear to be deductively sound but they are not and all one needs to do is demonstrate that the extent of their remoteness is such that they bear no relation to the comparison and are infcat irreverent. One cannot infact get HIV by driving a car, to state that a comparison can be made with the deaths on the roads to the deaths of those who have engaged in homosexual behaviour is logically fallacious. I have provided a link stating just why they are fallacious analogies, you may make reference to that. Your opinions that they demonstrate the weakness of my argument is naught bit the projection of your ignorance on the matter.

F

Moves
19 Apr 15

they may or they may not, its difficult to say at present.
Is homosexual sex morally sound for the 95% or so of homosexual men who do not have HIV and those who are careful and responsible enough not to contract it?

rc

Moves
19 Apr 15
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Is homosexual sex morally sound for the 95% or so of homosexual men who do not have HIV and those who are careful and responsible enough not to contract it?
No its still inherently dangerous because its opposed to the natural physiology of the human body. They may have other ailments and suffer psychologically as well. Its better for those who have homosexual tendencies to remain chaste.

F

Moves
19 Apr 15

No its still inherently dangerous because its opposed to the natural physiology of the human body. They may have other ailments and suffer psychologically as well. Its better for those who have homosexual tendencies to remain chaste.
Suggesting that they remain chaste is one thing, but you thinking they should do what you suggest, and calling their actions morally unsound are surely quite different things.

rc

Moves
19 Apr 15

Originally posted by FMF
Suggesting that they remain chaste is one thing, but you thinking they should do what you suggest, and calling their actions morally unsound are surely quite different things.
Perhaps, but i need to go shopping, ill think about this.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
19 Apr 15

I get the feeling my analogy to you is only 'logically fallacious' for the simple reason that it renders your argument mute, and thus you'd have to except you were 'morally reprehensible' for eating yourself into obesity. Which of course, for someone with your ego and vanity, is too much to take.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
19 Apr 15

People become obese by eating too much food. It's a simple as that. Any claims to the contrary are nonsense.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Apr 15

People become obese by eating too much food. It's a simple as that. Any claims to the contrary are nonsense.
Do you think anyone is without some fault on some level you are going on
about here?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
19 Apr 15

Originally posted by KellyJay
Do you think anyone is without some fault on some level you are going on
about here?
We all have our faults.