1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 May '15 09:58
    "If Person A..."

If Person A believes that God exists and Person B believes in the person and work of Jesus Christ
    for his or her salvation and eternal life, why are some members of the population from Person C to Person Z
    threatened to the point of covert or overt hostility by the beliefs of Person A and/or Person B?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '15 10:041 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"If Person A..."

If Person A believes that God exists and Person B believes in the person and work of Jesus Christ
    for his or her salvation and eternal life, why are some members of the population from Person C to Person Z
    threatened to the point of covert or overt hostility by the beliefs of Person A and/or Person B?[/b]
    Are you talking about people out in the 'real world' in areas where there is religious disagreement, discrimination and even conflict ~ perhaps intertwined with political, ethnic or historical factors ~ or are you talking about people expressing different points of view on an online message board created specifically to be an arena for debate and discussion ?
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 May '15 10:14
    [b]"If Person A..."

threatened to the point of covert or overt hostility by the beliefs of Person A and/or Person B?[/b]
    Are Persons A and B trying to impose their beliefs on Persons C through Z?

Because that frequently happens, and is a pretty decent reason for Persons
    C through Z to be hostile.

As FMF says, this is a forum for discussing and debating religious [and philosophical]
    beliefs. Naturally this means people criticising beliefs they disagree with.

Out in the big wide world, you find many examples of people of all kinds of beliefs imposing
    those beliefs [or the consequences of them] on others who believe differently and this leads
    inevitably to conflict.

However this is simply a reworking of your old many times repeated and multiply answered
    question [I paraphrase] "If you don't believe god exists, why would you care that I believe
    in god?".

Because beliefs inform decisions, and decisions dictate actions. And your actions can effect
    everyone's wellbeing.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '15 10:39
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    As FMF says, this is a forum for discussing and debating religious [and philosophical]
    beliefs. Naturally this means people criticising beliefs they disagree with.
    I think Grampy Bobby here, by attributing the disagreement and dissent of unnamed others to a supposed feeling of being "threatened" (and it leading to "overt" and "covert" actions), is just another one of his countless OPs started and designed to take passive aggressive swipes at those unimpressed by his ideology and his carefully manufactured air of self-anointment.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    11 May '15 10:55
    "If Person A..."
    Because religion is amazingly dumb and an insult to our brain and intelligence.

You insult our human intelligence every time you speak of this non-existent beard man that you believe in.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 May '15 11:17
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Because religion is amazingly dumb and an insult to our brain and intelligence.

You insult our human intelligence every time you speak of this non-existent beard man that you believe in.
    Religions [and other faith based beliefs] are also generally harmful to the people holding those beliefs.

And for anyone with empathy for others, it's painful to see others harming themselves with their irrational
    and untrue religious beliefs.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 May '15 11:22
    [b]"If Person A..."

The very first time I came to this forum was because I posted something in debates regarding the teaching of creationism in US schools under the guise of science. I was told to bring it here. I don't think I have felt strongly threatened by anyone's beliefs here.
    So, when do I feel threatened by other peoples beliefs?
    When their beliefs appear to be a threat to me, my friends/loved ones, my society, and yes, in some cases I do feel that threat although not from people in this forum.
    I may still criticize beliefs for other reasons even when I do not feel threatened by them.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 May '15 12:50
    Given your adamant and somewhat stubborn insistence not to discuss poster here at RHP, are you able to provide some frame of reference, perspective or examples which give your OP veracity and make it worthwhile considering as a topic of discussion?
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 May '15 13:042 edits
    "If Person A..."

threatened to the point of covert or overt hostility by the beliefs of Person A and/or Person B?
    OP Footnotes:

1) The "population" in focus literally encompasses both "real world" and "online message board" communities of equal peers;
    2) It observes ground rules of civility with a spectrum ranging from 'live and let live' tolerance to polite discourse to lively discussion;
    3) All members of this population respect the volitional free will of all others irrespective of their honestly held beliefs or lack thereof;
    4) None seeks to willfully impose their beliefs on or to harm others, though are willing to articulate their own personal convictions;
    5) The relevant line quoted by googlefudge is attributed to FreakyKBH as noted verbatim in the text of my site profile.
    Thanks to each of you for your topic interest and thoughtful replies. Kind regards, Bob
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '15 13:32
    OP Footnotes:

1) The "population" in focus literally encompasses both "real world" and "online message board" communities of equal peers;
    2) It observes ground rules of civility with a spectrum ranging from 'live and let live' tolerance to polite discourse to lively discussion;
    3) All members of this population respect the volitional free will ...[text shortened]... rofile.
    Thanks to each of you for your topic interest and thoughtful replies. Kind regards, Bob
    What on earth makes you think that anyone is "threatened" by your religious beliefs?
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 May '15 14:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    What on earth makes you think that anyone is "threatened" by your religious beliefs?
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    "If Person A..."

for his or her salvation and eternal life, why are some members
    of the population from Person C to Person Z
    threatened to the point of covert or overt hostility by the beliefs of Person A and/or Person B?"
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 May '15 14:02
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    [b]"If Person A..."

for his or her salvation and eternal life, why are some members
    of the population from Person C to Person Z
    threatened to the point of covert or overt hostility by the beliefs of Person A and/or Person B?"[/b]
    Because Christ is the Alpha and the Omega?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 May '15 14:36
    OP Footnotes:

3) All members of this population respect the volitional free will ...[text shortened]... rofile.
    I don't understand your footnotes.
    Are you saying that you are only asking about people who are threatened and match your 'footnotes' criteria? If so, why restrict it so? Surely the most likely to feel threatened do not match all those criteria or are threatened by A and B's that do not match those criteria.
    Or are you only interested in replys from those that match those criteria while recognising those who don't match but wish to ignore them? Again, I am not certain why you would wish to restrict it so.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 May '15 09:11
    OP Footnotes:

If this (allegedly) hypothetical scenario you have constructed, consists of people (in real life and on message boards) who hold a live and let live tolerant attitude, are respectful of each other's free will and none are imposing their will on others...then why would anyone feel threatened by another person's beliefs?

I wonder if this scenario you have configured exists only in your imagination, or as FMF suggests, perhaps it is just another attempt to take a little jab at a few people here who you don't want to name.
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    12 May '15 09:14
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32701001

I don't think the imposition of belief and hostility is going in the direction the OP suggests on the whole.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree