1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 May '15 09:231 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"If Person A..."

If Person A believes that God exists and Person B believes in the person and work of Jesus Christ
    for his or her salvation and eternal life, why are some members of the population from Person C to Person Z
    threatened to the point of covert or overt hostility by the beliefs of Person A and/or Person B?[/b]
    It is not the beliefs of A or B, but the attempt to proselytize, which C to Z find off-putting. If it just stayed at "I'm saved" C to Z would not take umbrage, but "I'm saved" all too often comes across as "You gotta get saved too or you're going to hell".
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 May '15 10:00
    Originally posted by sonship
    Because Christ is the Alpha and the Omega?
    And Microsoft was the Chi and the Rho.

So what?
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 May '15 10:02
    [b]"If Person A..."

If Person A believes that God exists and Person B believes in the person and work of Jesus Christ
    for his or her salvation and eternal life, why are some members of the population from Person C to Person Z
    threatened to the point of covert or overt hostility by the beliefs of Person A and/or Person B?[/b]
    They must be stupid to feel threatened by the absurd beliefs of A and B.

however if A and B try to impose their fairytale values on them ....
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 May '15 12:51
    OP Footnotes:

1) The "population" in focus literally encompasses both "real world" and "online message board" communities of equal peers;
    2) It observes ground rules of civility with a spectrum ranging from 'live and let live' tolerance to polite discourse to lively discussion;
    3) All members of this population respect the volitional free will ...[text shortened]... rofile.
    Thanks to each of you for your topic interest and thoughtful replies. Kind regards, Bob
    In reply to item 4 on your list: I have never in my life been accosted "in the real world" by people peddling pamphlets and announcing "There is no God." I have been accosted countless times by the other sort. Yes, I know, they have a constitutional right to freedom of speech; but I have a constitutional right not to have anyone else's dogma foisted off on me, or on my children in the public schools (e.g. Creationism taught as science). If I wanted my children to think like RJH (I use the word "think" hyperbolically here), I'd send them to parochial schools.

This form of covert proselytism not a threat to me personally, but I find it annoying and pervasive enough to deserve a response. I hope this answers your question. No personal acrimony intended.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 May '15 14:38
    Originally posted by moonbus
    In reply to item 4 on your list: I have never in my life been accosted "in the real world" by people peddling pamphlets and announcing "There is no God." I have been accosted countless times by the other sort. Yes, I know, they have a constitutional right to freedom of speech; but I have a constitutional right not to have anyone else's dogma foisted off on m ...[text shortened]... enough to deserve a response. I hope this answers your question. No personal acrimony intended.
    I do agree that a school setting is no place for religion. Yes, there should be a "separation of church and state". You want to know about religion, go to church. You want to be educated, go to school. There should be zero overlap.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    12 May '15 14:42
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I do agree that a school setting is no place for religion. Yes, there should be a "separation of church and state". You want to know about religion, go to church. You want to be educated, go to school. There should be zero overlap.
    Certainly schools should teach about the various religions that are a part of this world? As part of the cultural upbringing of children?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 May '15 15:002 edits
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Certainly schools should teach about the various religions that are a part of this world? As part of the cultural upbringing of children?
    Well, sure, that's part of what used to be called "Social Studies" or "Humanities" when I was in school. Learning "about" them in school is fine, as long as no "preference" is shown. Just as learning about races and cultures is fine, as long as there is no "this is the right race" or "this is the right culture". Of course children should learn about the world they live in. This is part of the function of education. But proselytizing is not.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    12 May '15 15:06
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    [b]"If Person A..."

for his or her salvation and eternal life, why are some members
    of the population from Person C to Person Z
    threatened to the point of covert or overt hostility by the beliefs of Person A and/or Person B?"[/b]
    Have you personally experienced covert or overt hostility towards yourself because of your beliefs?
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 May '15 20:07
    Well, sure, that's part of what used to be called "Social Studies" or "Humanities" when I was in school. Learning "about" them in school is fine, as long as no "preference" is shown. Just as learning about races and cultures is fine, as long as there is no "this is the right race" or "this is the right culture". Of course children should learn about the world they live in. This is part of the function of education. But proselytizing is not.
    I just gave Suzi a thumbs up !!!!!!! πŸ˜€
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 May '15 02:091 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I just gave Suzi a thumbs up !!!!!!! πŸ˜€
    And i gave her a thumbs down ! 😏

I also gave her a thumbs up for a later post ! 😏
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 May '15 02:162 edits
    I agree with no proselytizing in school, but I also believe that schools should teach the controveries with evolution and the age of the earth. Please give me a thumbs up for that sweet Suzy, pretty please. πŸ˜‰
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 May '15 02:27

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 May '15 03:033 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Suzianne clarified what she meant a few posts later. She meant no religious proselytizing in schools. 😏

HalleluYaHshua ! Praise the LORD!

What you say about American school children being required to recite the Pledge of Allegiance is not exactly the truth. If the parents object, then they are not required to recite it with the rest of the class.

It is ridiculous for the courts to be expected to restrict freedom of speech in schools by declaring a cultural norm of the use of one word as violation of a law that doesn't exist.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    13 May '15 05:33
    Agreed.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    13 May '15 06:09
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    There should also be only secular holidays in America (Presidents' Day, Labor Day, Armistice Day etc.). America doesn't officially celebrate Easter, but does Christmas. So America is hypocritical. What's new?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree