1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    30 May '12 13:011 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Sorry the question was 'why you have no empirical data for your assertion', you have
    stated and I quote, 'the process does not exist'. How do you know that it does not
    exist? You have NOT stated that it is incorrect, you have stated that 'it does not exist',
    without a smidgen of evidence. Either my geologist friend and his book are imaginary ...[text shortened]... at high temperatures
    resulting in a purification process. In fact, i must be a genius!
    sorry the question was why you have no empirical data for your assertion, you have
    stated and I quote, the process does not exist. How do you know that it does not
    exist?

I have just given the reason why: “That reason comes from my own knowledge about geology:
    Oceanic vents do “filter” out anything! They EXPEL out hot gasses and water.
    Just try Googling “"Oceanic vents filter" and you get just “ No results found for "Oceanic vents filter". “! “(my quote)
    You have not stated that it is incorrect, you have stated that it does not exist,

your statement about the mechanism is incorrect BECAUSE it doesn't exist! -Don't you see!?

to be vitrified

you originally said “filtered” and you didn't mention “vitrified” before; The two do not equate.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '12 13:03
    Originally posted by humy
    sorry the question was why you have no empirical data for your assertion, you have
    stated and I quote, the process does not exist. How do you know that it does not
    exist?

I have just given the reason why: “That reason comes from my own knowledge about geology:
    Oceanic vents do “filter” out anything! They just EXPEL out hot gasses and wa ...[text shortened]... ginally said “filtered” and you didn't mention “vitrified” before; The two do not equate.
    I have not asked you for reasons, i have asked you for empirical scientific data for
    your assertion, you have produced nothing. What do you think will happen to chemical
    elements in water when it is subjected to high temperatures, flip sake, are you sure
    you went to science lectures and not basket weaving courses?
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    30 May '12 13:194 edits
    I have not asked you for reasons, i have asked you for empirical scientific data for
    your assertion, you have produced nothing. What do you think will happen to chemical
    elements in water when it is subjected to high temperatures, flip sake, are you sure
    you went to science lectures and not basket weaving courses?
    your assertion, you have produced nothing.

I just gave you some reasons! Reminder:

Oceanic vents do “filter” out anything! They EXPEL out hot gasses and water.
    Just try Googling “"Oceanic vents filter" and you get just “ No results found for "Oceanic vents filter". “! “(my quote)

What do you think will happen to chemical
    elements in water when it is subjected to high temperatures

NOTHING!
    One chemical element cannot be converted into another unless it does so via nuclear reactions and the ocean vents are not nearly hot enough to do that! Heat would have to be immense heat such as in the sun in order to do that!

Therefore, the answer to your question “ What do you think will happen to chemical elements in water when it is subjected to high temperatures” where the “high temperatures” are those of the oceanic vents, the answer is still “NOTHING” just as I said.

So what has that got to do with the claim that the ocean vents filter-out pollutant particulate matter that originated in the Earth's atmosphere?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '12 13:373 edits
    your assertion, you have produced nothing.

I just gave you some reasons! Reminder:

[quote] I have just given the reason why: “That reason comes from my own knowledge about geology:
    Oceanic vents do “filter” out anything! They EXPEL out hot gasses and w an vents filter-out pollutant particulate matter that originated in the Earth's atmosphere?
    so lets get this, if I take water, force it under pressure upon molten lava, nothing will
    happen to any of the trace elements in the water or the water itself, that is your
    assertion, thank you, can i order a a straw hat? clearly you must be better at weaving
    straw hats than providing empirical scientific data. Btw , there is no need to repeat
    everything i say, unless of course your taking up mimicry as a second profession to
    basket weaving, i was aware of the content of my post when i typed it.
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    30 May '12 13:421 edit
    so lets get this, if I take water, force it under pressure upon molten lava, nothing will
    happen to any of the trace elements in the water or the water itself, that is your
    assertion, thank you, can i order a a straw hat? clearly you must be better at weaving
    straw hats than providing empirical scientific data.
    so lets get this, if I take water, pour it upon molten lava, nothing will happen to any of
    the trace elements or the water, that is your assertion,

In the sense that they will stay the SAME trace elements, yes. This just comes from common knowledge in physics.
    http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryglossary/a/elementdef.htm
    “...A chemical element is a substance that cannot be broken down by chemical means. Elements are defined by the number of protons they possess. ...”
    are you claiming now that the chemical elements CAN change their number of protons via heat of the oceanic vents!?

The hot vents would add some trace elements because they vent gas but they will not “filter” them out if that is what you are implying?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '12 13:454 edits
    so lets get this, if I take water, pour it upon molten lava, nothing will happen to any of
    the trace elements or the water, that is your assertion,

In the sense that they will stay the SAME trace elements, yes. This is just common knowledge in physics.

The hot vents would add some trace elements because they vent gas but they will not “filter” them out if that is what you are implying?
    we are not asking whether those trace elements will change, are you capable of
    rational thought? we asked and i repeat for you failed to comprehend it the first, 'what
    will happen to those trace elements in the water', you stated, nothing. so lets go back
    to primary physics, shall we , when i heat water it becomes a gas, yeah! what happens
    to any trace elements in the water when i heat it up? yes, they are left behind, yeah
    and the water, now a gas, is what, yes that is correct, purified of its trace elements.
    shall we take this model and apply it to hydrothermal vents, shall we?
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    30 May '12 13:534 edits
    we are not asking whether those trace elements will change, are you capable of
    rational thought? we asked and i repeat for you failed to comprehend it the first, 'what
    will happen to those trace elements in the water', you stated, nothing. so lets go back
    to primary physics, shall we , when i heat water it becomes a gas, yeah! what happens
    t ...[text shortened]... its trace elements.
    shall we take this model and apply it to hydrothermal vents, shall we?
    so lets go back
    to primary physics, shall we , when i heat water it becomes a gas, yeah!

Oh dear, you obviously don't know about the basic physics of liquids:

When water is under the immense high pressure such as at the bottom of the ocean floor, its boiling point is greatly increased.
    The oceanic vents don't make it hot enough to boil at those immense depths so the water isn't changed into steam at those depths.

http://www.fathom.com/course/10701050/session6.html

“...The temperature of the water coming out of the vents ranges from a modest 10-30° Celsius to a staggering 350-400°C. Because of the very high pressure, this superheated water does NOT boil and turn to steam as it would in air. ...” (my emphasis)

the rest of your post is flawed because of this.
    Sorry! nothing happens to the chemical elements that are drawn in the oceanic vents!

-so please don't lecture me about “primary physics” in that insulting condescending manner; I obviously know a lot more about physics than you do.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 May '12 14:05
    so lets go back

When water is under the immense high pressure such as at the bottom of the ocean floor, its boiling point is greatly increased.
    The oceanic vents don't make it hot enough to boi ...[text shortened]... that insulting condescending manner; I obviously know a lot more about physics than you do.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17229454

http://www.ceoe.udel.edu/deepsea/level-2/geology/vents.html

http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pbio.1001234

Don't forget about all those ocean sea creatures that live near those ocean vents also fliter out pollutants.

Give up. Eat those shorts!
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    30 May '12 14:16
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17229454

http://www.ceoe.udel.edu/deepsea/level-2/geology/vents.html

http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pbio.1001234

Don't forget about all those ocean sea creatures that live near those ocean vents also fliter out pollutants.

Give up. Eat those shorts!
    None of those links say anything about the claim here that the vents filter out pollution so your links are totally irrelevant.

the claim here made by Rob was NOT that the sea creatures that live near those ocean vents filter out pollutants but the vents do this. Also, the “pollution” that those sea creatures filter out nearly totally all comes from the “natural pollution” from the vents themselves and certainly NOT from particulate matter that originated in the atmosphere as he claimed.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '12 14:374 edits
    so lets go back

The oceanic vents don't make it hot enough to boi that insulting condescending manner; I obviously know a lot more about physics than you do.
    ok, I've had enough of your nonsense,

In contrast to the approximately 2 °C ambient water temperature at these depths,
    water emerges from these vents at temperatures ranging from 60 °C up to as
    high as 464 °C.
    [2][3] Due to the high hydrostatic pressure at these depths,
    water may exist in either its liquid form or as a supercritical fluid at such
    temperatures.
    At a pressure of 218 atmospheres, the critical point of (pure) water is
    375 °C. At a depth of 3,000 meters, the hydrostatic pressure of sea water is more
    than 300 atmospheres (as salt water is denser than fresh water). At this depth and
    pressure, seawater becomes supercritical at a temperature of 407 °C (see image).
    However the increase in salinity at this depth pushes the water closer to its critical
    point. Thus, water emerging from the hottest parts of some hydrothermal vents
    can be a supercritical fluid, possessing physical properties between those of a gas
    and those of a liquid.
    [2][3] Besides being superheated, the water is also
    extremely acidic, often having a pH value as low as 2.8 — approximately that of
    vinegar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrothermal_vent

look, next time you make an assertion, make sure its backed up by empirical
    scientific evidence, otherwise, your going to be eating shorts for a very long time.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '12 14:461 edit
    Hydrothermal vents,

Submarine volcanoes are common features on the ocean floor. Some are active and, in
    shallow water, disclose their presence by blasting steam and rocky debris high above
    the surface of the sea
    . Many others lie at such great depths that the tremendous
    pressure from the weight of the water above them prevents the explosive release of
    steam and gases. This causes the water to be heated to over 375 degrees C, turning
    the water in the hottest parts of the vents into a supercritical fluid since the pressure at
    this depth of over 3 km is over 300 atmospheres, well above the 218 atmospheres
    required.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercritical_fluid
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 May '12 14:46
    ok, I've had enough of your nonsense,

In contrast to the approximately 2 °C ambient water temperature at these depths,
    water emerges from these vents at [b]temperatures ranging from 60 °C up to as
    high as 464 °C.
    [2][3] Due to the high hydrostatic pressure at these depths,
    water may exist in either its liquid form or as a supercritica ...[text shortened]... mpirical
    scientific evidence, otherwise, your going to be eating shorts for a very long time.
    It might be a supercritical fluid at some point but what has that got to do with pollution? Also, it would not stay supercritical very long because it would quickly mix with that 2 degree C water and soon be down to normal temperatures there.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '12 15:032 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It might be a supercritical fluid at some point but what has that got to do with pollution? Also, it would not stay supercritical very long because it would quickly mix with that 2 degree C water and soon be down to normal temperatures there.
    dear oh dear, why are we pathetic theists now instructing you materialists?

my assertion is that a process of vitrification, filtration and osmosis takes place,

1. hydrothermal vents, especially formation of the mineral chlorite within the cracks
    and fissures of the vents, which removes Mg2+ (magnesium ion).

2.You must keep in mind that the laws of osmosis, diffusion and filtration are all at work
    here. In all cases, the osmotic forces attract water towards areas of stronger
    concentration. Solutes and particles (nutrients etc.) migrate towards the intracellular
    areas of lesser concentration.

http://oceanplasma.org/documents/chemistry.html#Other_substances
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 May '12 15:11
    dear oh dear, why are we pathetic theists now instructing you materialists?

my assertion is that a process of vitrification, filtration and osmosis takes place,

1. hydrothermal vents, especially formation of the mineral chlorite within the cracks
    and fissures of the vents, which removes Mg2+ (magnesium ion).

2.You must keep in mind that ...[text shortened]... eas of lesser concentration.

http://oceanplasma.org/documents/chemistry.html#Other_substances
    Your assertion was with reagrds to airborne pollutants.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 May '12 15:11
    What has been forgoten in this whole disussion (but that humy did point out) is that it is totally irrelevant whether or not ocean vents take anything out of or put anything into the sea water that goes through them. After all, the initial issue was whether or not anything comes out of the atmosphere. Once it is in the ocean, as humy pointed out, most of it will end up in sediments at the bottom and become part of the rock.
    This is where most carbon ends up. Either in the form of oil/gas or rocks high in carbon like limestone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree