1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '18 22:54
    If you want to change the world, go home and love your family. [Mother Teresa]

Where does this sit along the Right-Wrong continuum?
  2. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    24 May '18 23:39
    Originally posted by @fmf

It underscores the importance of the love and support of the family unit and is in direct opposition to today's pop culture feminist™ progressive™ movement.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 May '18 23:55

Follow Christ and the Apostles, I would say ... Matt 25 and

And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, (Acts 2:45-46 KJV)
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    24 May '18 23:55

It is right in the sense that your whole world will change, and the world of your family can change, through this single action. It also has within it this idea that if only everyone simply did their best to execute this one, simple idea we would get the desired result...

But yeah, I mean, sure, this is total fluff that you expect as like the empty platitude your seventh grade English teacher points to as her personal motto.

I am now a bit older and do not like to dwell on eviscerating feel good, empty quotes that just don't quite make total sense, but I totally understand why people are frustrated with this stuff in the Buzzfeed age.

Everywhere I look there is someone trying to enlighten me with these quips.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 May '18 23:57
    If you want to change the world you will need a lot of diapers.
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    25 May '18 00:242 edits

In the middle of touchy-feely advice with no teeth. It is already normal to love your family.

Reveal Hidden Content
    Teresa was hateful, abusive and intolerant, btw.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 May '18 00:33
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    It is right in the sense that your whole world will change, and the world of your family can change, through this single action. It also has within it this idea that if only everyone simply did their best to execute this one, simple idea we would get the desired result...

But yeah, I mean, sure, this is total fluff that you expect as like the e ...[text shortened]... he Buzzfeed age.

Everywhere I look there is someone trying to enlighten me with these quips.
    I am now a bit older and do not like to dwell on eviscerating feel good, empty quotes that just don't quite make total sense...

You used to dwell on eviscerating quotes you didn't like when you were younger?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 May '18 00:401 edit
    Originally posted by @apathist
    In the middle of touchy-feely advice with no teeth. It is already normal to love your family.

Teresa was hateful, abusive and intolerant, btw.
    Rather than just being 'feel good' or 'empty' or 'fluff', I wonder whether Mother Teresa's quote actually carries a quite cynical political message.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 May '18 01:03

Matthew 22
    39“The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’

Luke 6
    35“But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.

Luke 8
    19And His mother and brothers came to Him, and they were unable to get to Him because of the crowd. 20And it was reported to Him, “Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, wishing to see You.” 21But He answered and said to them, “My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it.

Luke 14
    , 26“If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple. 27“Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.

John 14
    23Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. 24“He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father’s who sent Me.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 May '18 01:04

Probably more right than wrong.

When God wanted to change the world, He started with a single person (Abraham.)

But better advice than Mother Teresa’s for changing the world would be earnest, sincere and committed prayer. God can change the world far better than humans.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 May '18 10:06
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    It underscores the importance of the love and support of the family unit and is in direct opposition to today's pop culture feminist™ progressive™ movement.
    WHAT?!?

Oh, you did NOT just say that...
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 May '18 10:08
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Matthew 22
    39“The second is like it, ‘[b]YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’

Luke 6
    35“But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.

Luke 8
    19And His mother and brothers came t ...[text shortened]... es not keep My words[/b]; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father’s who sent Me.[/b]
    What exactly do you have to gain from trotting out your one-trick-pony show yet again?

There is so much more about Christianity that you ignore.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 May '18 10:12
    Rather than just being 'feel good' or 'empty' or 'fluff', I wonder whether Mother Teresa's quote actually carries a quite cynical political message.
    Perhaps the cynical message here could be encapsulated as "Might as well go home and care for those who appreciate you, because no one else is going to listen to you anyways."

That kind of cynical message?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 May '18 10:22
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Perhaps the cynical message here could be encapsulated as "Might as well go home and care for those who appreciate you, because no one else is going to listen to you anyways."

That kind of cynical message?
    No. A cynical political message. Like I said.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 May '18 10:27
    No. A cynical political message. Like I said.
    You mean the world can’t be changed from the top down because the top is too corrupt, and so must be changed from the bottom up?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree