1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 03:301 edit
    In a different thread, a few people have decided to designate August as a hate-free, disrespect-free, and rude-free month for the spirituality forum. You can see more here:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=164799&page=1#post_3431470

In preparation for this, anyone willing to state (here or on this thread) that they will, no matter what, be nothing less than civil and courteous for the entire month of August, I will personally say something genuine nice (no sarcasm) about you and compliment you.

Keep in mind that I may have to look up past posts for some of you, since I may not be that familiar with some of your personalities here; but I will do it, no matter how much we may have clashed in the past.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 03:31
    Kelly Jay, since you started that thread, I'll begin with you.

From what I've seen, you have a level head about you, and I've never once seen you be anything less than dignified. Kudos to you, sir.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 05:07
    Originally posted by vivify
    Kelly Jay, since you started that thread, I'll begin with you.

From what I've seen, you have a level head about you, and I've never once seen you be anything less than dignified. Kudos to you, sir.
    Thank you for your kind words....I acknowledge I do from time to time go off as well, but
    on my word August will not see that from me in any post at any time.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 05:12
    In a different thread, a few people have decided to designate August as a hate-free, disrespect-free, and rude-free month for the spirituality forum. You can see more here:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=164799&page=1#post_3431470

In preparation for this, anyone willing to state (here or on this thread) that they will, no matte ...[text shortened]... f your personalities here; but I will do it, no matter how much we may have clashed in the past.
    Kudos for picking this up and running with it too, well done!
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 05:51

In preparation for this, anyone willing to state (here or on this thread) that they will, no matte ...[text shortened]... f your personalities here; but I will do it, no matter how much we may have clashed in the past.
    Unlike KellyJay, I do not have a level head and will make no such promise, because I am a terrible sinner in need of forgiveness and grace from God.

I doubt if i can keep such a promise, if one of those atheists or whoever rubs me the wrong way. But I wish you folks good luck with your experiment.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 05:53
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Thank you for your kind words....I acknowledge I do from time to time go off as well, but
    on my word August will not see that from me in any post at any time.
    Will this periodic magnanimity extend to those posters you strategically ignore, or just those you like to engage with regularly?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 05:561 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Will this periodic magnanimity extend to those posters you strategically ignore, or just those you like to engage with regularly?
    Quenching hellfire is a good nickname for you. How is that for saying something nice? 😏
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 06:08
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Quenching hellfire is a good nickname for you. How is that for saying something nice? 😏
    I think you are probably right in your decision to stay out the "experiment". 😛
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 08:59
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I think you are probably right in your decision to stay out the "experiment". 😛
    Perhaps we are getting off on the right foot, since we can finally agree on at least one thing. 😏

The Near Genius
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 09:142 edits

To guarantee that for all posts made in August by poster P, no one considers what was said is rude or disrespectful either to them or to their god, it would seem that P would have to be sickeningly and/or disingenuously polite ...

theist: Well the Bible says that all atheists are going to burn in hell for eternity
    atheist : Well golly goshReveal Hidden Content
    no swearing allowed remember, someone might think it is rude
    ... that seems ever so frightening! Reveal Hidden Content
    Can't challenge said Bible passage, someone might take it as disrespectful to their infallible God

theist: Perhaps you should turn to Christ ?
    atheist: By jove good sir ... I'll have to give that some thought Reveal Hidden Content
    A lie since debate is off the cards

theist: Wonderful! Now what should we talk about next?
    atheist: ...

No thanks ... not from me!
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 12:57
    Originally posted by Agerg
    To guarantee that [b]for all posts made in August by poster P, no one considers what was said is rude or disrespectful either to them or to their god, it would seem that P would have to be sickeningly and/or disingenuously polite ...

theist: Well the Bible says that all atheists are going to burn in hell for eternity
    atheist : Well golly gosh[hi ...[text shortened]... st: Wonderful! Now what should we talk about next?

No thanks ... not from me![/b]
    This is pretty much my problem with this idea.

It's pretty much exactly the same reason Suzianne got really mad at me.

Asking respect for the people, ok I get that, not everyone seems to me to deserve it, but ok.

However asking respect for the beliefs themselves...

As Agerg says, there is almost nothing we atheists can honestly say without 'disrespecting' peoples
    religious beliefs. Because people take the very fact that we don't believe as being disrespectful.
    People take the fact that we believe in secular morality and thus think we can judge their religion
    and the supposed actions of their gods by that morality as disrespectful. etc etc.

And as Agerg says, some/many theists believe that we atheists will burn in hell, or simply be murdered
    by their gods, simply for not believing in them. And they tell us this on a regular basis.

It's then rather galling to be told to be respectful to these people and their beliefs.

If a load of you guys are going to go for a month long love in then I'm certainly not going to try to disrupt
    that any.

Just don't expect me to sign up to it.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 13:141 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    To guarantee that [b]for all posts made in August by poster P, no one considers what was said is rude or disrespectful either to them or to their god, it would seem that P would have to be sickeningly and/or disingenuously polite ...

atheist : Well golly gosh[hi ...[text shortened]... st: Wonderful! Now what should we talk about next?

No thanks ... not from me![/b]
    I take you're apposed to the idea of extending a general rule of positivism and respect for fellow posters on the basis of having a different belief system?!

No one is saying you can't disagree with their beliefs. The main point is to not make personal attacks with rude and derogatory remarks about the person with whom you are debating.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 13:22
    The idea here and in the thread started by Kelly Jay is to bring about a coalition of posters that are weary of the negative effects of ad hominem attacks in this forum, by any and all, and to substitute a more thoughtfully respectful and positive objectivity to these boards.

Attack the idea or thought with all the objective vehemence you can muster, but keep you hands off the poster!

Can it be that difficult?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 13:35
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Unlike KellyJay, I do not have a level head and will make no such promise, because I am a terrible sinner in need of forgiveness and grace from God.

I doubt if i can keep such a promise, if one of those atheists or whoever rubs me the wrong way. But I wish you folks good luck with your experiment.
    You are in far more need of forgiveness of mankind not some alleged god. This god will never forgive you since it never communicates, all you have are feelings. I THINK it forgave me, because I have that nice warm glow now. That is just a feeling, not a communications from a deity.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 14:03
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You are in far more need of forgiveness of mankind not some alleged god. This god will never forgive you since it never communicates, all you have are feelings. I THINK it forgave me, because I have that nice warm glow now. That is just a feeling, not a communications from a deity.
    One doesn't know they're forgiven on the basis of feelings as you presuppose.

Knowing one is forgiven is based on fact, not feelings. Facts like knowing that the sin that separates man from God was delt with by Jesus Christ on the cross.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree