1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 12:26
    every time a quote from the bible pops up on here there seem to be several different interpretations of what it means. this has always caused me problems, surly a being intelligent enough to create the universe would also be able to spread its message in a clear way that can not be corrupted or misinterpreted.
    do christians think that much of the bibles meanings are ambiguous on purpose? for example "thou shalt not kill" and "thou shalt not murder" two translations neither which have clarity in their meaning. has god made them vague so they can be flexible to fit many societies and their attitude towards killing.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 14:35
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    every time a quote from the bible pops up on here there seem to be several different interpretations of what it means. this has always caused me problems, surly a being intelligent enough to create the universe would also be able to spread its message in a clear way that can not be corrupted or misinterpreted.
    do christians think that much of the bible ...[text shortened]... them vague so they can be flexible to fit many societies and their attitude towards killing.
    It is mistranslated and misinterpreted due to man's lack of knowledge and not
    due to any shortcomings of God. It is clear from reading the whole of scripture
    that the verse you refer to does not prohibit all types of killings. So we know
    that it can not be "thou shall not kill" but must be "thou shall not murder".
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 14:55
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    "thou shall not murder" is also extremely vague. it does not clarify what god classifies as 'murder'. humans struggle to decide what constitutes as murder, juries have to be gathered to go over and over cases to decide if its 'murder' an more often than not can not all agree.
    so how does a christian know what is a murder in gods eyes? do christians believe that the ambiguity is there on purpose?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 14:59
    "thou shall not murder" is also extremely vague. it does not clarify what god classifies as 'murder'. humans struggle to decide what constitutes as murder, juries have to be gathered to go over and over cases to decide if its 'murder' an more often than not can not all agree.
    so how does a christian know what is a murder in gods eyes? do christians believe that the ambiguity is there on purpose?
    If you go by the Golden Rule, which Christ says all the laws are based, then things become a little more clearer.

So don't kill if you don't want to be killed. However, if you do kill don't be surprised if someone tries to kill you.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 15:06
    Originally posted by whodey
    If you go by the Golden Rule, which Christ says all the laws are based, then things become a little more clearer.

So don't kill if you don't want to be killed. However, if you do kill don't be surprised if someone tries to kill you.
    I don't want a bomb dropped on me.

Therefore I should not fly a plane over a foreign country and drop a bomb on others.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 15:24

'the golden rule' a good example of more vague rules in the bible. it offers no clarity, i would say its worse then the 'thou shall not murder' rule. it opens up all kinds of questions on how we can behave towards other people.
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 15:48

So suicide bombers are adhering to the 'Golden Rule' then? What about abortion and assisting in voluntary Euthanasia these are not classed as murder in some legal systems but many Christians are adamant that they are just that. Any help from the bible on this.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 17:29
    I think we must use common sense to determine murder from self-defense and
    accidents. God should not have to spell it all out in detail. By reason we should
    know that killing an innocent person on purpose is murder. Therefore, the act
    of abortion is murder.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 18:43
    I think we must use common sense to determine murder from self-defense and
    accidents. God should not have to spell it all out in detail. By reason we should
    of abortion is murder.
    you could pick 10 people at random and they would all give you different answers to what 'common sense' determines murder from self defense. the world is much more complex there are situations when it will be unclear where the line is.

if a soldier kills a civilian during a war is it murder?
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 18:46
    By reason we should
    of abortion is murder.[/b]
    if an innocent man is sentenced to death and given a lethal injection has he been murdered?
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 18:48
    you could pick 10 people at random and they would all give you different answers to what 'common sense' determines murder from self defense. the world is much more complex there are situations when it will be unclear where the line is.

if a soldier kills a civilian during a war is it murder?
    No.
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 18:51
    No.
    if the soldier was al qaeda and it was on american soil would it be murder?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 18:52
    if an innocent man is sentenced to death and given a lethal injection has he been murdered?
    Only those that are found guilty by a judge and jury are sentenced to death in
    the USA. Those found innocent are let go.
  14. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 18:55
    I think the op point is that its obvious that some scripture has been misinterpreted and mistranslated. Couldn't God have been more clear? I'm sure some of these errors are made innocently.... an all mighty God could have communicated a bit better.

Although I guess this is another one of those things that go under his thoughts are not our thoughts.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 18:56
    Only those that are found guilty by a judge and jury are sentenced to death in
    the USA. Those found innocent are let go.
    ha, did you manage to type that with a straight face?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree