Is Atheism Dead ?

Is Atheism Dead ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
15 Oct 21

@sonship said
@avalanchethecat
Seriously? Oh how tedious.

How about when you said:
...Life permitting conditions did not have to be the case. Why do you insist that they had to be?

Okay, in the sequence of exchanges it is entirely possible that some position you held did not become as clear to me as latter in our exchanges.

I take no pleasure in misrepresenting ...[text shortened]... te about places in which we would not be alive to witness. Would you want to correct his view here?
You and Mr Mackie are both perfectly free to be surprised that the universe in which they exist permits them to do so. Me, I'm just not. The fact that I'm here and able to think strongly suggests to me that the nuts and bolts of the universe are such that I am able to exist and think. I don't see much value in speculating about the nature of other universes, should such things be possible.

Latvian Trickster

Krell lab

Moves
15 Oct 21

@divegeester said
Sonship believes there are extraterrestrials on other worlds.

He has famously claimed in this forum that these extraterrestrials can observe the eternal suffering of non-Christians as a sort of warning to them.
No!?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Oct 21

@Velns

Take with a ample portion of salt, any time you hear Divegeester say I was "famously" known to have said this or that.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Oct 21
1 edit

@avalanchethecat

First of all you do not have to be surprised as science more and more uncovers how special the factors are permitting life.

You are making the unwarranted assumption that other, 'life-prohibiting' universes are possible.

Hold on now.
When you say -

I totally agree and have done throughout this discussion, life permitting conditions did not have to be the case.

Aren't you making an assumption that life prohibiting universe/s could have been the case ?

If it could have been the case do you have any feeling about the ratio of what IS to what COULD have been ? I didn't ask about a precise calculation. I just asked if you think it would be a large or small ratio.

I think the ratio would be small based on the nature of the seemingly unrelated yet often exquisitely precise calibration of, let's say, several twelve factors below.

IE. 1.) the mass of a proton
2.) the strength of the weak nuclear force
3.) the strength of the strong nuclear force
4.) the balance of matter to anti-matter
5.) the rate of earth's rotation
6.) the earth's position in the Milky Way galaxy
7.) the size and kind of the Milky Way galaxy
8.) the rate of the expansion of the universe
9.) the properties of carbon
10.) the appropriate temperature range for earth
11.) the factors necessary to maintain that temperature range
12.) the properties of H2O

Can't you even surmise the general largeness or smallness of the ratio of life permitting universes to life prohibiting ones ?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
15 Oct 21

@sonship said

Aren't you making an assumption that life prohibiting universe/s could have been the case ?

If it could have been the case do you have any feeling about the ratio of what IS to what COULD have been ? I didn't ask about a precise calculation. I just asked if you think it would be a large or small ratio.

I think the ratio would be small based on the nat ...[text shortened]... ral[/b] largeness or smallness of the ratio of life permitting universes to life prohibiting ones ?
No. I'm saying that I don't know that they couldn't.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Oct 21

@avalanchethecat said
No. I'm saying that I don't know that they couldn't.
I am thinking about what you said.
In the meantime -

Do you think "The Brute Given" would be a good name for a rock group?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
15 Oct 21

@sonship said
I am thinking about what you said.
In the meantime -

Do you think "The Brute Given" would be a good name for a rock group?
Well I've definitely heard worse. Currently I'm wondering why Rainbow Kitten Surprise have such an awful name.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Oct 21

@avalanchethecat
That's a great one lol.

We use to hang around stoned and think up goofy names for rock groups.
I played lead guitar all through highschool. 66 - 69

Now have you ever bitten into a juicy plump peach ??

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
15 Oct 21

@sonship said
@avalanchethecat
That's a great one lol.

We use to hang around stoned and think up goofy names for rock groups.
I played lead guitar all through highschool. 66 - 69

Now have you ever bitten into a juicy plump peach ??
What's the purpose of these questions? Obviously i've eaten peaches.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Oct 21

@avalanchethecat

You sunk your teeth into a succulent plump and juicy peach and . . .
And you don't believe in God ?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
15 Oct 21

@sonship said
@avalanchethecat

You sunk your teeth into a succulent plump and juicy peach and . . .
And you don't believe in God ?
That's all it took to convince you? A piece of fruit?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Oct 21
1 edit

@avalanchethecat

No, that was not all.

But have you ever eaten a group of sweet grapes, I mean really nice and sweet?

And you had no thought that it was a treat there provided by Someone who cared for you and provided that enjoyment ?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
15 Oct 21

@sonship said
@avalanchethecat

No, that was not all.

But have you ever eaten a group of sweet grapes, I mean really nice and sweet?

And you had no thought that it was a treat there provided by Someone who cared for you and provided that enjoyment ?
I've eaten all sorts of things, delicious and otherwise. I don't think eating ever made me suspect the existence of a god though. Better arguments can be made concerning music, beauty and love, if you want my opinion.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
16 Oct 21
1 edit

@sonship said
@avalanchethecat

First of all you do not have to be surprised as science more and more uncovers how special the factors are permitting life.

You are making the unwarranted assumption that other, 'life-prohibiting' universes are possible.

Hold on now.
When you say -

[quote] I totally agree and have done throughout this discussion, l ...[text shortened]... ral[/b] largeness or smallness of the ratio of life permitting universes to life prohibiting ones ?
Are you still deluding yourself that the universe has been calibrated to suit life rather than life emerged and calibrated itself according to the rules dictated by an unconscious universe.
Have you ever wondered why we can only exist within a very narrow temperature range and why we can only exist in an atmosphere with a very narrow range of oxygen levels. It’s almost as if we’ve evolved to inhabit a very small niche aspect of a universe that for the most part is desolate and void of all life.
What do think the designer was thinking of when it created the vast majority of its creation?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Oct 21

@kevcvs57 said
Are you still deluding yourself that the universe has been calibrated to suit life rather than life emerged and calibrated itself according to the rules dictated by an unconscious universe.
Have you ever wondered why we can only exist within a very narrow temperature range and why we can only exist in an atmosphere with a very narrow range of oxygen levels. It’s almost as i ...[text shortened]... life.
What do think the designer was thinking of when it created the vast majority of its creation?
I'd say to make it more difficult to get off this planet and go pollute the rest of the universe.