1. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 10:08
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Buddhism is a religion, allright.
    However, they have no god in standard Buddhism, as Buddha is not a god.
    It is not a religion! You can be a Buddhist and be an atheist or to have not a specific religion, no matter if that religion is monotheistic or polytheistic. There are Buddists that are good Christians etc, there are Buddhists that they follow religions related with supernatural axioms, there are Buddhists that their approach is dualistic or non dualistic.
    There is not such a thing as "standard Buddhism"!
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 10:28
    Sorry for my mistake at my abv mentioned post;

I wanted to say that "...you can be a Buddhist and be an atheist or to have a specific religion, no matter if that religion is monotheistic or polytheistic."
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 10:28
    Originally posted by black beetle
    It is not a religion! You can be a Buddhist and be an atheist or to have not a specific religion, no matter if that religion is monotheistic or polytheistic. There are Buddists that are good Christians etc, there are Buddhists that they follow religions related with supernatural axioms, there are Buddhists that their approach is dualistic or non dualistic.
    Be a Buddhist or 'do Buddhism'?
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 10:43
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Be a Buddhist or 'do Buddhism'?
    Neither, BdN dude; just walk the Walk
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 11:48
    This is a quote from Wikipedia:
    # Religion Number of Adherents
    1 Christianity 1.9 billion
    2 Islam 1.1 billion
    3 Hinduism 781 million
    4 Buddhism 324 million
    5 Sikhism 19 million
    6 Judaism 14 million
    7 Bahá'í Faith 6.1 million
    8 Confucianism 5.3 million
    9 Jainism 4.9 million
    10 Shinto 2.8 million

Saying that Buddhism is the fourth largest religionn in the world. Religion.

By "Standard Buddhism" I mean core Buddhism. The part of Buddhism that all Buddhists share.

Buddhism is an atheistic religion.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 12:011 edit

Saying that Buddhism is the fourth largest religionn in the world.
    By some definitions, neither Buddhism nor Confucianism are religions. (There are also many Christians who claim that Christianity is not a religion.)

What definition do you use?
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 12:09
    By some definitions, neither Buddhism nor Confucianism are religions.

What definition do you use?
    Well, I have my own definition of a religion. Using this definition theism, Buddhism (I don't know much about Confucianism) and other standard religions but also astrology and defaitism together with other things fall within.
    Other things that is usually part of religion fall outside.
    Tha main part of the definition is about believing in supranatural phenomenon, but a bit more complicated than that.
    Nirvana and reincarnation are important phenomena in Buddhism, they are supernatural, therefore Buddhism is a religion.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 12:141 edit

Nirvana and reincarnation are important phenomena in Buddhism, they are supernatural, therefore Buddhism is a religion.
    It would seem that not all Buddhists agree on that.

"What Reincarnation is Not

Reincarnation is not a simple physical birth of a person; for instance, John being reborn as a cat in the next life. In this case John possesses an immortal soul which transforms to the form of a cat after his death. This cycle is repeated over and over again. Or if he is lucky, he will be reborn as a human being. This notion of the transmigration of the soul definitely does not exist in Buddhism."

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/reincarnation.htm

Speaking of what all Buddhists presumably have in common, "Although Buddhism has a vast number of scriptures and practices, the fundamental core of Buddhism, the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path, are distinguished in the world of religion for not having any mention of God(s) or any notion of worship of any deity. They are purely ethical and meditative guidelines based on the truths of psychological suffering due to impermanence" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nontheism#Buddhism).

So it seems that according to your definition, Buddhism might or might not be a religion, depending on the individual practitioner.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 12:39
    So it seems that according to your definition, Buddhism might or might not be a religion, depending on the individual practitioner.
    If they use another definition than mine, that's fine by me.
    If they find it important that Buddhism is a religion, or not a religion, that's also fine with me.
    I find Buddhism as a religion, an atheistic religion, and that's fine with me.

On the other hand, what is the ultimate Truth in this question? Who can tell...
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 12:53
    If they use another definition than mine, that's fine by me.
    If they find it important that Buddhism is a religion, or not a religion, that's also fine with me.
    I find Buddhism as a religion, an atheistic religion, and that's fine with me.
    Well, that's very laid-back.

Do Buddhist ethics & yours overlap much?
  11. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 12:54
    Well, I have my own definition of a religion. Using this definition theism, Buddhism (I don't know much about Confucianism) and other standard religions but also astrology and defaitism together with other things fall within.
    Other things that is usually part of religion fall outside.
    Tha main part of the definition is about believing in supranatural ph ...[text shortened]... n are important phenomena in Buddhism, they are supernatural, therefore Buddhism is a religion.
    It is not a religion because a Buddhist does not have to worship nothing at all. But many followers of Buddhist systems believe in supernatural axioms, and they believe in supernatural existences which they worship them due to the fact that they permit to the social and religious tendencies of their environment to mix with the philosophical ascpects of the Buddhism. Nevertheless a Buddhist can be a theist and have a religion (Islam, Christianity, Hinduism etc. and therefore to worship his "god" or "gods"😉, or to be a non theist;
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 13:06

Laid-backtracking, you mean?
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 13:09
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Laid-backtracking, you mean?
    We can all define things to suit ourselves, and that's fine with me.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 13:17

Don't really know too much about that.
    It's actually not important for me to find out either.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 13:19
    It is not a religion because a Buddhist does not have to worship nothing at all. But many followers of Buddhist systems believe in supernatural axioms, and they believe in supernatural existences which they worship them due to the fact that they permit to the social and religious tendencies of their environment to mix with the philosophical ascpects of ...[text shortened]... tianity, Hinduism etc. and therefore to worship his "god" or "gods"😉, or to be a non theist;
    If religion is 'to worship something', then Buddhism is not a religion. I and Wikipedia is of another meaning.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree