is buddism evil...???

is buddism evil...???

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
17 Sep 08

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Yes, I feel Swedish today. I'll change my nationality after lunch.

Shoko Asahara -- Aum Shinrikyo was the name of the movement -- formed a new religion, composed of bits of this and that.

Apparently he feels that he is Christ. How do you feel about that?
If you feel Swedish today, and not tomorrow - isn't that your problem, it's certainly not mine.

Did Aum start a new religion? Well, he based very much of it on Buddhism, anyway. But still - can I, as a non Buddhism, has anything to say about it, other than others opinion in the matter? Must I have some well defined opinion, based on knowledge that I don't have? Certainly not. I go for Wikipedia, as long I don't find any errors. If I find it interesting enough, I google further to get a wider look at it. But I'm satisfied as it is, for now anyway.

Now, if you say that Aum is not Buddhist, then it doesn't change my opinion that
"Fundamentalists are always evil - or fools.
Religion doesn't matter, there are fundamentalists of every religion."

And, as a Swede to another, I wish you very welcome to us here in högan nord some day! 🙂

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
17 Sep 08

Originally posted by Palynka
It was a honest question, more than an accusation. I remember vaguely the conflict between the Tamils (mostly Hindus) and the Sinhala (mostly Buddhists) there.

Edit - Found this:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Buddhist-Fundamentalism-and-Minority-Identities-in-Sri-Lanka/Tessa-J-Bartholomeusz/e/9780791438336
It's been a war, and then a settlement. Methinks them specific Buddhists succumbed to a cultural trap and that this is not Buddhism anymore. I am appalled at these people;

ZellulÀrer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
17 Sep 08

Originally posted by black beetle
It's been a war, and then a settlement. Methinks them specific Buddhists succumbed to a cultural trap and that this is not Buddhism anymore. I am appalled at these people;
That's what I mean by fundamentalist distortion. It's a strange process.

ZellulÀrer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
17 Sep 08
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
But still - can I, as a non Buddhism, has anything to say about it, other than others opinion in the matter?

And, as a Swede to another, I wish you very welcome to us here in högan nord some day! 🙂
You can read up about the fundamentals ( đŸ˜” )at least. I think they're on Wikipedia.

You're far too polite.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
17 Sep 08

That's what I mean by fundamentalist distortion. It's a strange process.
In addition, them gyus in that island are incapable of choosing a government through referendum -for years these bloodthirsty bloodsuckers Tamil and Sinhala activists they use to "restore the order" with bloodshed. So Palynka has a point over here -far more complicated than just black or white;

ZellulÀrer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
17 Sep 08

In addition, them gyus in that island are incapable of choosing a government through referendum -for years these bloodthirsty bloodsuckers Tamil and Sinhala activists they use to "restore the order" with bloodshed. So Palynka has a point over here -far more complicated than just black or white;
Indeed ... a phenomenon that seems to have applied to many religions (communism included) through time.

I think the fundamentalist moment is when a flexible system like Buddhism hardens into ideology.

F

Moves
17 Sep 08

Originally posted by Bosse de Swede
You can read up about the fundamentals ( đŸ˜” )at least. I think they're on Wikipedia.

You're far too polite.
Then we have the same source...
I can live without deeper insights of Buddhism.

They say that the summer climate of south Sweden is quite like your climate, is this true?

ZellulÀrer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
17 Sep 08

Then we have the same source...
I can live without deeper insights of Buddhism.

They say that the summer climate of south Sweden is quite like your climate, is this true?
That's a very Buddhist thing to say.

I have no idea. It's very hot and dry here in summer.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
17 Sep 08

Indeed ... a phenomenon that seems to have applied to many religions (communism included) through time.

I think the fundamentalist moment is when a flexible system like Buddhism hardens into ideology.
Of course; but then "flexibility" goes down the drain. A Buddhist understands the principle of the eventual innacuracy: you may be right and I may be wrong or we may both be wrong. Also he understands the values of a fruitfull debate: we have to express the reasons of our opinion as much detached from them as possible (we do not become a part of the debate itself). And he understands that he must constantly seek the truth no matter if he likes or dislikes it .

So actually you become a fondamentalist, and then you use "Buddhism" or whatever in order to cover your real plan. It's the same ole pathetic story;

F

Moves
17 Sep 08

"That's a very Buddhist thing to say." 😀 Perhaps I was a Buddhist in my former life?

I can imagine, but in your, eh, off summer season?
We, in Sweden, have a warm nice summers (if you don't count in the rains). That's one thing I like with our country, Bosse, is that our seasons vary so much. Snowy winters and sunny summers.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
17 Sep 08

Here, where?

ZellulÀrer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
17 Sep 08

"That's a very Buddhist thing to say." 😀 Perhaps I was a Buddhist in my former life?

I can imagine, but in your, eh, off summer season?
We, in Sweden, have a warm nice summers (if you don't count in the rains). That's one thing I like with our country, Bosse, is that our seasons vary so much. Snowy winters and sunny summers.
You don't have to be a Buddhist to be a Buddhist.

I guess it depends on the temperature -- maybe spring is like your summer. I think the climate is more like Greece. Technically, it's a 'Mediterranean climate' (winter rainfall).

ZellulÀrer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
17 Sep 08
1 edit

Here, where?
Cape Town.

How would a Buddhist fundamentalist interpret "If you meet Buddha on the road, shoot him"?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
17 Sep 08

Cape Town.

How would a Buddhist fundamentalist interpret "If you meet Buddha on the road, shoot him"?
If he was too advanced he would shoot his head; if he was not too advanced he would shoot his guru; if he was apprentice he would ask for further clarification;

Cape Town

Moves
17 Sep 08

If he was too advanced he would shoot his head; if he was not too advanced he would shoot his guru; if he was apprentice he would ask for further clarification;
If he had any sense, he would not go around shooting people just because he read "If you meet Buddha on the road, shoot him" somewhere.