1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 13:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I might answer: "Who says? Mohammed himself?", and by this my answer stands as before.
    What would you do if God -- or Yoda -- spoke to you, in the absence of witnesses?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 13:52
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    What would you do if God -- or Yoda -- spoke to you, in the absence of witnesses?
    Go and seek help. Perhaps get some Mallorol. Seems to hep against voices inside the head. Never happened yet.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 13:56
    My points stands clear.

Many have heard voices from someone they call god, and start a new religion, a new movement, or a new cult. If the voice of god speaks so differently from ear to ear, then who will ever now which voice from god is the real one?

If people want to challenge detals of my posting, then I'm not deviating.

A friend of mine hear ...[text shortened]... challenge my opinion in the matter - feel free to do so, but, for gods sake, stay within topic!
    if i claim here that 1+1=2 it would be equally an equally clear point but off topic.

read my first topic. i asked 3 questions. now see if what you posted has any relevance.
    real relevance not a minor one.

this is how the rhp forum threads die. someone proposes a topic and by the third or fourth page nobody remembers what the topic was and discuss about something entirely different. i mostly don't even bother entering topics that i haven't watched from the beginning and/or are more than 30-ish posts long. i didn't expect however this thread to be killed so soon though.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 13:57
    thank you, this is maybe the first on topic post in this thread. and one that actually leads to a debate.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 14:03
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    if i claim here that 1+1=2 it would be equally an equally clear point but off topic.

read my first topic. i asked 3 questions. now see if what you posted has any relevance.
    real relevance not a minor one.

this is how the rhp forum threads die. someone proposes a topic and by the third or fourth page nobody remembers what the topic was and discuss ...[text shortened]... more than 30-ish posts long. i didn't expect however this thread to be killed so soon though.
    As you can see, I've asked your three questions. I didn't gave you the answer you wanted to have, but I gave you my view of the matter.

This is a debate. Adebate is not everyone giving the answers the original poster wanted to have, then it wouldn't be a debate. But if you wanted some specific answers, jut tell what answers you want, and I give them to you right away. I can quote with no effort.

But if you want a living debate, then you should let people answer with their opinions, wanted or not, correct or not. And you have the opportunity to give replies as anyone else. Then we have a debate.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 14:04
    Go and seek help. Perhaps get some Mallorol. Seems to hep against voices inside the head. Never happened yet.
    yes, now suppose yoda (it's cooler with yoda) is telling you in a dream that the next day you will win the lottery and you do. suppose that after 3 nights, yoda comes to you in a dream and tells you that your mother(suppose she is 80 years old) will get the urge in exactly one year to try snowboarding and win the world championship. Fearing for your mother doing snowboarding, you don't mention this. in exactly one year, your mother is world champion.

having acknowledged (at his request) yoda as your god, what would you now do? if yoda tells you one night that kittens are sacred animals and the next night he tells you that you must kill 100 kitties, will you do it or assume Darth Vader has assumed yoda's dreamform and is trying to tempt you from the path.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 14:09
    So you'd assume you were insane.

Socrates spoke about his 'daimon', the inner voice that guided him. A case of insanity?
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 14:14
    yes, now suppose yoda (it's cooler with yoda) is telling you in a dream that the next day you will win the lottery and you do. suppose that after 3 nights, yoda comes to you in a dream and tells you that your mother(suppose she is 80 years old) will get the urge in exactly one year to try snowboarding and win the world championship. Fearing for your mother ...[text shortened]... or assume Darth Vader has assumed yoda's dreamform and is trying to tempt you from the path.
    A hypothetical question, is it not? Then I can answer as hypothetically too.
    I would apply to be an astronaut and go to the moon. If Yda is helping me to that, I'll be happy and read the StarWar trilogy to the end of my life.

The questions you pose are fantasies, will never happen, my grandmother is dead already. I say your question is far off topic.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 14:15
    So you'd assume you were insane.

Socrates spoke about his 'daimon', the inner voice that guided him. A case of insanity?
    I don't know about Socrates to that extent I can consider him insane or not. What do you believe?

I have heard about a scitzophreniac (spelling?) who told the interviewer of his deamons inside his head. Is he insane? Or was it the voice of god? Who knows?
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 14:222 edits
    A hypothetical question, is it not? Then I can answer as hypothetically too.
    I would apply to be an astronaut and go to the moon. If Yda is helping me to that, I'll be happy and read the StarWar trilogy to the end of my life.

The questions you pose are fantasies, will never happen, my grandmother is dead already. I say your question is far off topic.

you do understand that we are setting here a situation with predefined conditions and debate from there, right?that the "from there on" is important? that if we are to debate every one of the preconditions we would reach the 30th century?
    that is regarding your "off topic" claim

regarding your astronaut application: you would presume to question god? yoda in this case. he already gave you a miracle: your 80 year old mother winning the snowboarding championship in exactly one year from when dream yoda said it would happen. now dream yoda is claiming to be a god. and asking you to break the rules he set himself.

your mother winning the championship is just a justification for a precondition to our argument: that you HAVE accepted yoda as your god.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 14:241 edit
    I don't know about Socrates to that extent I can consider him insane or not. What do you believe?

I have heard about a scitzophreniac (spelling?) who told the interviewer of his deamons inside his head. Is he insane? Or was it the voice of god? Who knows?
    again you are missing the point of this conversation. we are not talking about outside persons judging the true/false value of person X's religious phantasies or revelations.

we are talking about someone having a religious experience, internal, and how he/she should act on it. like abe did. EDIT: and if i may add, someone not doubting that it indeed the religious experience was real and not indigestion or mental illness talking
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 14:35
    [b]The questions you pose are fantasies, will never happen, my grandmother is dead already. I say your question is far off topic.

you do understand that we are setting here a situation with predefined conditions and debate from there, right?that the "from there on" is important? that if we are to debate every one of the preconditions we would reach t ...[text shortened]... a justification for a precondition to our argument: that you HAVE accepted yoda as your god.[/b]
    Sometimes I get a question like this one: ""Fab, suppose we could fly in the speed of light, would we then see in front of us..." and I have to interrupt him by "Wait, you cannot fly in the speed of light!" "Yes, I know, but if..." "But it's a law of physics that cannot be violated!" "Yes, I know, but if..." and the conversation becomes meaningless.

You start with a hypothesis that, in my opinion, is a violation of my religious beliefs. How do you think I can answer the question? By lying? By pretending something that cannot be true? As true as flying in the speed of light?

You brought up the 'off topic' thing, not me. Now you get out of topic yourself. How do you like me to continue? Stay off topic or avoid any more off topic-ness?

Did Yoda tell Abe to slaughter his son?
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 14:39
    again you are missing the point of this conversation. we are not talking about outside persons judging the true/false value of person X's religious phantasies or revelations.

we are talking about someone having a religious experience, internal, and how he/she should act on it. like abe did. EDIT: and if i may add, someone not doubting that it indeed the religious experience was real and not indigestion or mental illness talking
    Anyone can have any religious beliefs he wishes, I don't mind. But at the very instant he cannot differ Truth with religious opinion, then I must object if it's within topic of the thread.

If you read my first posting in this thread, on topic, then you realize that - If someone hear voices tht says something like "I'm your god, and now listen, I want you to...", do we really have to belive that this is true? Then scizophrenia is not a psycological decease, it is a religious phenomena.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 14:47
    Sometimes I get a question like this one: ""Fab, suppose we could fly in the speed of light, would we then see in front of us..." and I have to interrupt him by "Wait, you cannot fly in the speed of light!" "Yes, I know, but if..." "But it's a law of physics that cannot be violated!" "Yes, I know, but if..." and the conversation becomes meaningless.

Y ...[text shortened]... topic or avoid any more off topic-ness?

Did Yoda tell Abe to slaughter his son?
    what are you doing in this forum?

and what law does the existance of god violate? or the existance of the flying spaghetti monster? and what would it matter in a debate?

i issued you the preconditions of this debate. i asked you a question. a question that violates nothing. answer it or please stop being a carrobie.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '09 14:53
    Anyone can have any religious beliefs he wishes, I don't mind. But at the very instant he cannot differ Truth with religious opinion, then I must object if it's within topic of the thread.

If you read my first posting in this thread, on topic, then you realize that - If someone hear voices tht says something like "I'm your god, and now listen, I want y ...[text shortened]... this is true? Then scizophrenia is not a psycological decease, it is a religious phenomena.
    i already said yoda will make your 80 year old mother snowboard world champion. and i already told you you accept yoda as your god. and i already told you this is the precondition to this debate, we are not arguing that.

geez you are like the kid that joins 10 other kids in playing footbal and then ask if you could touch the ball with your hands and body check other players rugby style.

and why the heck am i still arguing with you about the rules of this debate? why must i argue about the rules of this debate? and topic. this discussion is over. if you want to argue my first topic fine, and i will respond. if you want to continue arguing that you cannot conceive of a discussion where god is assumed to be existent (for the sake of argument) then you are free to be a carrobie. there is no law against that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree