Is god just a logical fallacy?

Is god just a logical fallacy?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
22 Dec 05

Another popular logical fallacy:
The Bible says: "all scripture is true"
The Bible is scripture.
Therefore the Bible is true.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Why isn't an analogy possible between the Universe and the watch? A watch consists of intricate parts that need to be fitted perfectly to allow it to function. The Universe displays a similar level of intricacy in its physical laws and universal constants that permit life to exist.
Two words;

Anthropic principle.

If the universe were any other way he wouldn't be here to debate it. All that proves is that the universe exists the way it does. It does not prove that anyone or anything created it.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by checkbaiter
I believe in God because of the bible.The Bible is the only known religious document with historically verifiable prophecies that have consistently been fulfilled. This point cannot be overstated. That the Bible has dozens of prophecies that can be verified by historians as having been accurately fulfilled is very strong proof that God is its Author. The ...[text shortened]... next few days or weeks. Only God could be the source of the accurate prophecies in the Bible.🙂
examples? And of course proofs that they weren't faked.....

What about the points on which the bible has been shown to be wrong?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by widget
Coming in late... but to get back to the topic proposed regarding the possibility that "god is just a logical fallacy". Some ruminative notions ~ Cows R Us!

I have tried, without much success, it would seem, to inject a book by Julian Jaynes called "The Origin Of Consciousness In The Breakdown Of The Bicameral Mind" into a number of threads that deal ...[text shortened]... ty so many people die in god's name.... It explains why we are pre-disposed towards obedience.
Indeed, I agree. We developed from primates that lived in tribes. These tribes had leaders that would call their charges to arms, and punish them when they were bad. As the tribes grew so to did the bosses - they had to have omniscience to prevent people thinking they could get away with crime etc. They had to become all powerfull so that the mob could be made to think that they could not get away with dissention - even in numbers....

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
Man is made of matter,
Baboons are made of matter,
Therefore man = baboon
Baboons evolved from a rock
Therefore man evolved from a rock
But rocks have no brains
Therefore man has no brains
Therefore man invents evolution
One problem though. Baboons didn't evolve from rock. Also evolution implies change - conciousness where there was none before. Try reading a book.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
[b]No matter how the theist squirms and tries to pass the buck, he cannot reconcile the presence of evil with an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent god.

So man messes up and then it's God's fault? If I gave you free-will and clearly instructed you on what not to do, would it be my fault if you got yourself into a mess by doing exactly what I told you not to do?[/b]
But if god knew what you were going to do before you do it, which he's have to with omniscience, then free will goes out the window if he creates every soul individually.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
22 Dec 05

Originally posted by Coletti
We would prefer a god that owes us, not owns us. We prefer a god that gives us some R-E-S-P-E-C-T because we deserve it! A god that will look up to us and see how we deserve a little love because we a generally good people.

But that's not the case with the God of the Bible. That's getting the perspective completely backwards. God appears to be a "meg ...[text shortened]... you, to give you a glance or a thought, then it is not just "cool", it is profoundly humbling.
If god has omniscience, he 'thinks' about everyone and everything all the time. Man, he really takes his work home....