1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91531
    24 Nov '11 05:431 edit
    (Sorry about my spelling, there seems to have been a glitch when I attempted to fix it).
    Some metal music makes direct references to satan, some allude to it while others dont even mention it at all, however some christian groups (usually the more fundie types) like to brand all heavy metal music as "satanic".
    It is clear that that some of these bands are just taking the piss and feeding off those christian groups, no doubt having a good laugh, and possibly doing it for attention -any publicity is good publicity.

    Thoughts?
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Joined
    21 Aug '06
    Moves
    11458
    24 Nov '11 08:222 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    (Sorry about my spelling, there seems to have been a glitch when I attempted to fix it).
    Some metal music makes direct references to satan, some allude to it while others dont even mention it at all, however some christian groups (usually the more fundie types) like to brand all heavy metal music as "satanic".
    It is clear that that some of these bands ...[text shortened]... good laugh, and possibly doing it for attention -any publicity is good publicity.

    Thoughts?
    I'm confident that the notion of Satan referenced by such music is one of the following two things:

    1) a wholly different entity than the one described by fundies - indeed the mantra of Satanism, as I've picked up through conversations with a couple of satanists seems to be: live your life like the animal you are; don't be a dick, but don't stand for it if someone else is a dick and it affects you. Here, "satan" describes nought more than a way of acting - a way to get on with the one and only life you have and will ever have without unfairly harming others.

    2) a channel through which ridicule may be rightfully directed at those silly theists who genuinely believe this comic book style villain actually exists. (It is a source of astonishment for me that we have more adults terrified of this fictional creature than we have children scared of the bogey-man
  3. Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    2158
    24 Nov '11 08:27
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    (Sorry about my spelling, there seems to have been a glitch when I attempted to fix it).
    Some metal music makes direct references to satan, some allude to it while others dont even mention it at all, however some christian groups (usually the more fundie types) like to brand all heavy metal music as "satanic".
    It is clear that that some of these bands ...[text shortened]... good laugh, and possibly doing it for attention -any publicity is good publicity.

    Thoughts?
    Karoly - Any particular songs or artists that you have in mind?
  4. Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    2158
    24 Nov '11 08:43
    Originally posted by Agerg
    [SHORTENED.... rightfully directed at those silly theists who genuinely believe this comic book style villain actually exists. (It is a source of astonishment for me that we have more adults terrified of this fictional creature than we have children scared of the bogey-man[/b]
    "Silly", "comic book style villain" Have you read the Bible?
    From cover to cover?
    In Christianity, there are a wide spectrum of schools of thought. Some believe that an evil being such as satan exists, while others do not.
    Just looking at the issue, apart from the Bible, the principle of duality would allow for an opposite or evil force.
  5. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    24 Nov '11 10:101 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    (Sorry about my spelling, there seems to have been a glitch when I attempted to fix it).
    Some metal music makes direct references to satan, some allude to it while others dont even mention it at all, however some christian groups (usually the more fundie types) like to brand all heavy metal music as "satanic".
    It is clear that that some of these bands ...[text shortened]... good laugh, and possibly doing it for attention -any publicity is good publicity.

    Thoughts?
    also which genre of heavy metal are you referring to, black metal, death metal, etc
    etc i always gotta laugh at these guys, especially the baby faced Norwegians, the
    church burners, they look so innocent and yet when they are interviewed have like
    candles and skulls in the background, i often think that if they found themselves lost in
    one of the Glasgow housing schemes they would be lucky to get out with their training
    shoes still on and here they are trying to invoke the powers of darkness and project an
    image of Satanic worship! The more sincere they are, the funnier they become. The
    genre itself is dead boring and full of cliche, the music monotonous and the
    practitioners complete doofers, Satanic? they wish! dudes that look like chicks playing
    their guitars in pine forests, hilarious!
  6. England
    Joined
    15 Nov '03
    Moves
    33497
    24 Nov '11 10:151 edit
    in my youth i went to see .. beefheart, mott the hoople, cream, black sabbath, led zep and many more. ive never went with the thinking it made you go down anti christian ways, the music to me was better than the pop being churned out by osmonds, bay city rollers etc. its not what goes in that corrupts its what comes out of you, even back then never took any so called banned stuff.
    and i looked like a john lennon reject
  7. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    24 Nov '11 10:25
    Originally posted by stoker
    in my youth i went to see .. beefheart, mott the hoople, cream, black sabbath, led zep and many more. ive never went with the thinking it made you go down anti christian ways, the music to me was better than the pop being churned out by osmonds, bay city rollers etc. its not what goes in that corrupts its what comes out of you, even back then never took any so called banned stuff
    if one takes the inside of Led Zepplin four, the picture with the hermit upon the top of
    the mountain and puts it against a mirror there are clearly occult signs in the rock
    structure. Page himself was clearly influenced by Crowley, whether of course it makes
    one want to leave the Christian faith, i dunno, would listening to Queen make you
    become gay? The problem with latter metal is that it simply became a kind of
    expression or rage, listen to it, the people simply sound angry and the influence it then
    promotes is similar and this is really the point, what does the genre promote. I loved
    the original Iron Maiden, sadly there are very few tracks that i can listen to in good
    conscience now.
  8. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    51426
    24 Nov '11 10:29
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    also which genre of heavy metal are you referring to, black metal, death metal, etc
    etc i always gotta laugh at these guys, especially the baby faced Norwegians, the
    church burners, they look so innocent and yet when they are interviewed have like
    candles and skulls in the background, i often think that if they found themselves lost in
    one o ...[text shortened]... ic? they wish! dudes that look like chicks playing
    their guitars in pine forests, hilarious!
    I don't think church burnings, murders, terrorist plots and links to neo-nazi organisations can be called 'hilarious'?!
  9. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    24 Nov '11 10:323 edits
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I don't think church burnings, murders, terrorist plots and links to neo-nazi organisations can be called 'hilarious'?!
    i was not calling their actions hilarious, their portrayals of themselves as being satanic
    and like all dark and dangerous to me are hilarious. Anyone can burn a church,
    anyone can murder and anyone can join a neo nazi group, it dont make them like
    other worldly scary. I used to jam with a skin head band they were rather upset that I
    didn't find them as intimidating as i was meant to, being a hippy and all.
  10. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    51426
    24 Nov '11 10:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i was not calling their actions hilarious, their portrayals of themselves as being satanic
    and like all dark and dangerous to me are hilarious. Anyone can burn a church,
    anyone can murder and anyone can join a neo nazi group, it dont make them like
    other worldly scary. I used to jam with a skin head band they were rather upset that I
    didn't find them as intimidating as i was meant to, being a hippy and all.
    I have on the stereo now Mayhems Deathcrusher EP from 1987. The recording that sparked the whole Black Metal genre.

    I love Spotify!!!!!
  11. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    24 Nov '11 10:441 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I have on the stereo now Mayhems Deathcrusher EP from 1987. The recording that sparked the whole Black Metal genre.

    I love Spotify!!!!!
    yeah its awesome. i just think the whole thing of eating afterbirth, parading pigs heads
    on spikes at gigs, sleeping in a grave or burying your jeans and digging them up so
    that it looks that you have emerged from a grave a little jaded, dont you think? its
    artificial to me.
  12. England
    Joined
    15 Nov '03
    Moves
    33497
    24 Nov '11 19:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    if one takes the inside of Led Zepplin four, the picture with the hermit upon the top of
    the mountain and puts it against a mirror there are clearly occult signs in the rock
    structure. Page himself was clearly influenced by Crowley, whether of course it makes
    one want to leave the Christian faith, i dunno, would listening to Queen make you
    b ...[text shortened]... inal Iron Maiden, sadly there are very few tracks that i can listen to in good
    conscience now.
    ive never done that with the zep 4 album nor would i even think of doing it. i remember some play records backwards to hear other sayings?? i do not lisn these days as i turn it down and thats age.
    why would you stop lisning to tracks? if you enjoy them it does not and can not make you do anything against what you truly belive. if you get put under hypnosis they may make you act the fool but can not make you kill anyone .
    as lisning to elton or others you would not go down that way of life.
  13. England
    Joined
    15 Nov '03
    Moves
    33497
    24 Nov '11 19:16
    adolf lisned to wagner but dont blame wagner for what happened next
  14. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    24 Nov '11 19:17
    Originally posted by stoker
    ive never done that with the zep 4 album nor would i even think of doing it. i remember some play records backwards to hear other sayings?? i do not lisn these days as i turn it down and thats age.
    why would you stop lisning to tracks? if you enjoy them it does not and can not make you do anything against what you truly belive. if you get put under hypnosis ...[text shortened]... t make you kill anyone .
    as lisning to elton or others you would not go down that way of life.
    i remember some play records backwards to hear other sayings,

    thats a myth i reckon, you can make practically anything sound morbid by playing it backwards.
  15. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    24 Nov '11 19:18
    Originally posted by stoker
    adolf lisned to wagner but dont blame wagner for what happened next
    are you saying that music cannot influence some to the point of action?
Back to Top