Is Jesus of New T LORD/Jehovah of the Old T?

Is Jesus of New T LORD/Jehovah of the Old T?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Apr 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
I am still having a hard time getting what you are trying to say.
Where then does it explain the difference between the LORD and
David's Lord?
Nothing at all my friend. It is Jehovah as David only called Jehovah LORD as he did not know Jesus as a Lord. Jesus was not ever called Lord before it was given to him by his Father Jehovah if you read verse 36 in Acts 2.
If you have a Bible that does use the capital LORD in it's pages and go back to David's words anywhere in Psalms the word LORD will always be capitalized. For example this scripture in two different Bible's:

Psalm 94:1 (Darby Translation)

Psalm 94
1 O God of vengeances, Jehovah, God of vengeances, shine forth;

Now,

Psalm 94:1 (Today’s New International Version, ©2005)

Psalm 94
1 The LORD is a God who avenges.
O God who avenges, shine forth.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Apr 11

Originally posted by Doward
I read it, the word Jehovah does not appear anywhere in the ancient text, only the tetragrammaton YHWH. Your cut and paste means nothing because it lies about what is replaced
Ok..whatever. It's in the post from Wiki and others I just posted but I guess your not going to read it.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Apr 11

Originally posted by galveston75
Nothing at all my friend. It is Jehovah as David only called Jehovah LORD as he did not know Jesus as a Lord. Jesus was not ever called Lord before it was given to him by his Father Jehovah if you read verse 36 in Acts 2.
If you have a Bible that does use the capital LORD in it's pages and go back to David's words anywhere in Psalms the word LORD will ...[text shortened]... n, ©2005)

Psalm 94
1 The LORD is a God who avenges.
O God who avenges, shine forth.
That is why I don't understand you. Since David did not know Jesus,
why would you say the "my Lord" is Jesus? You do understand that it
was David that said this don't you?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Apr 11

That is why I don't understand you. Since David did not know Jesus,
why would you say the "my Lord" is Jesus? You do understand that it
was David that said this don't you?
I don't believe David was the one speaking in that scripture...

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Apr 11

I don't believe David was the one speaking in that scripture...
Let me quote the same verse you quoted again from a the New American
Standard Bible and maybe you will see it this time.

For it was not David who ascended into heaven, but he himself says:

"THE LORD SAID TO MY LORD, SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND, UNTIL I MAKE
THINE ENEMIES A FOOTSTOOL FOR THY FEET."

Acts 2:34 NASB

This quote in Acts is from Psalm 110 which is recognized by all Biblical
scholars as A Psalm of David and even the writer in Acts says it was
David that said this.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
26 Apr 11
1 edit

Let me quote the same verse you quoted again from a the New American
Standard Bible and maybe you will see it this time.

For it was not David who ascended into heaven, but he himself says:

"THE LORD SAID TO MY LORD, SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND, UNTIL I MAKE
THINE ENEMIES A FOOTSTOOL FOR THY FEET."

Acts 2:34 NASB

This quote in Acts is from Psalm 110 wh ...[text shortened]... l
scholars as A Psalm of David and even the writer in Acts says it was
David that said this.
29"Brethren, I may confidently say to you regarding the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.

30"And so, because he was a prophet and knew that GOD HAD SWORN TO HIM WITH AN OATH TO SEAT one OF HIS DESCENDANTS ON HIS THRONE,

31he looked ahead and spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that HE WAS NEITHER ABANDONED TO HADES, NOR DID His flesh SUFFER DECAY.

32"This Jesus God raised up again, to which we are all witnesses.

33"Therefore having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He has poured forth this which you both see and hear.

34"For it was not David who ascended into heaven, but he himself says:

'THE LORD SAID TO MY LORD,
"SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND,
35UNTIL I MAKE YOUR ENEMIES A FOOTSTOOL FOR YOUR FEET."'

Acts 2:29-35 NASB from www.biblegateway.com

These are power verses that Peter is using. Who's throne is this descendant inheriting ? God's throne it appears from these scriptures.

Manny

Moves
26 Apr 11
1 edit

Romans 10:9
That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

So if we accept Galveston's explanation that LORD = Jehovah, and Lord = Jesus, how would the above scripture read?

Moves
26 Apr 11

Originally posted by divegeester
That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

So if we accept Galveston's explanation that LORD = Jehovah, and Lord = Jesus, how would the above scripture read?
It is to be read as it reads, regardless of anyone's explanation.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Apr 11

Originally posted by menace71
29"Brethren, I may confidently say to you regarding the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.

30"And so, because he was a prophet and knew that GOD HAD SWORN TO HIM WITH AN OATH TO SEAT one OF HIS DESCENDANTS ON HIS THRONE,

31he looked ahead and spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that HE WAS NEI ...[text shortened]... this descendant inheriting ? God's throne it appears from these scriptures.

Manny
It says to "sit at my right hand" not the throne or seat of God himself but at his "right hand".
Again the "LORD" is Jehoavh and the one to sit at the right hand of God is Jesus who the title "Lord" was given to by his Father.
You do understand the word lord is just a title that many can have? It's not just a word reserved to Jehovah or Jesus?

LORD
The Greek and Hebrew words rendered “lord” (or such related terms as “sir,” “owner,” “master&rdquo😉 are used with reference to Jehovah God (Eze 3:11), Jesus Christ (Mt 7:21), one of the elders seen by John in vision (Re 7:13, 14), angels (Ge 19:1, 2; Da 12:8), men (1Sa 25:24; Ac 16:16, 19, 30), and false deities (1Co 8:5). Often the designation “lord” denotes one who has ownership or authority and power over persons or things. (Ge 24:9; 42:30; 45:8, 9; 1Ki 16:24; Lu 19:33; Ac 25:26; Eph 6:5) This title was applied by Sarah to her husband (Ge 18:12), by children to their fathers (Ge 31:35; Mt 21:28, 29), and by a younger brother to his older brother (Ge 32:5, 6). It appears as a title of respect addressed to prominent persons, public officials, prophets, and kings. (Ge 23:6; 42:10; Nu 11:28; 2Sa 1:10; 2Ki 8:10-12; Mt 27:63) When used in addressing strangers, “lord,” or “sir,” served as a title of courtesy.—Joh 12:21; 20:15; Ac 16:30.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Apr 11

Originally posted by divegeester

Uh...exactly what it says.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Apr 11

I didn't say you did and your wrong. The name Jehovah was taken out over 7000 times in the Bible including the 237 times it was taken out of the NT.

From Wikipedia:

In Judaism, the Tetragrammaton is conventionally substituted by Adonai ("my Lord" ) when reading the text of the Bible. Based on this practice, the traditional translation of the Tetra ...[text shortened]... rg/e/na/article_06.htm

http://removinggodsname.xanga.com/329800252/item/
Since you respect Wikipedia articles, here arelinks to two more you
should be interest in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah%27s_Witnesses

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Apr 11

It says to "sit at my right hand" not the throne or seat of God himself but at his "right hand".
Again the "LORD" is Jehoavh and the one to sit at the right hand of God is Jesus who the title "Lord" was given to by his Father.
You do understand the word lord is just a title that many can have? It's not just a word reserved to Jehovah or Jesus?

...[text shortened]... strangers, “lord,” or “sir,” served as a title of courtesy.—Joh 12:21; 20:15; Ac 16:30.
This is from the article "Jehovah's Witnesses" in Wikipedia:

God's kingdomWitness publications teach that God's kingdom is a literal government in heaven, ruled by Jesus Christ and 144,000 Christians drawn from the earth.[175] The kingdom is viewed as the means by which God will accomplish his original purpose for the earth,[176][177] transforming earth into a paradise without sickness or death.[178] It is said to have been the focal point of Jesus' ministry on earth[179] and established in heaven in 1914.[180] They believe 1914 marks the restoration of God's rule over earth after being halted for 2520 years since 607 BC, the date they uniquely assign to the destruction of Jerusalem by the Babylonians.[181]

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Apr 11

This is from the article "Jehovah's Witnesses" in Wikipedia:

God's kingdomWitness publications teach that God's kingdom is a literal government in heaven, ruled by Jesus Christ and 144,000 Christians drawn from the earth.[175] The kingdom is viewed as the means by which God will accomplish his original purpose for the earth,[176][177] transforming earth i ...[text shortened]... C, the date they uniquely assign to the destruction of Jerusalem by the Babylonians.[181]
Correct..so what's your point here?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Apr 11

Since you respect Wikipedia articles, here arelinks to two more you
should be interest in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah%27s_Witnesses
Ok..What's your point here?

D

St. Peter's

Moves
26 Apr 11
1 edit

Ok..whatever. It's in the post from Wiki and others I just posted but I guess your not going to read it.
I READ it. Jews did not write out the full name of God. So therefore it is dishonest to say that the name Jehovah was removed from the text. Only the four letter tetragrammaton called YHWH was replaced with the english word of same meaning ...LORD. No one knows for sure if the "true" name of God is Jehovah because the vowals were never included. Robbie admitted as much in a previous debate on this issue.

Now....admit that Jehovah may not actually be the name of God and that the watchtower is being purposefully dishonest or forever lose any credibility you may or may not have had