1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    30 Aug '14 19:103 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    That's a naive assumption.
    Some of the greatest minds/seekers in the scientific world have been/are theists--- not a single one of whom resort to magic, all of whom are very comfortable with the known unknowns... and with the knowledge that even if their striving never produces the solution, the One who created it will.
    I think it is more accurate to say that your interpretation of what I said is more than a little bit off target. Indeed such great minds you speak of like Newton, Euler, Riemann, Gauss, and so on ... Reveal Hidden Content
    yeah my examples were all mathematicians ... feel free to substitute physicist, philosophers, and so on on ...
    are the ones who, in spite of their belief that there exists a god (the popular notion of Christian "G"od no less), they still made marvellous contributions to the fields of mathematics and physics which enabled us as a collective to ask questions that were further reaching than their predecessors. As such these of whom you speak would fall into the category of greater intellect that I mentioned in my initial entry into this thread. I say this in spite of the fact that they are theists (though it is debatable as to whether they would have the same theistic views had they instead lived in the times that we do now).

On the other hand, the lesser minds that I spoke of are those who are ill-equipped to conduct any type of serious inquiry; those who at the merest hint of intellectual difficulty cede victory to the thought smothering haze that has enveloped their brains; those who resign themselves to a comforting, yet demonstrably wrong, notion that it must all hang together by magic - somehow.

These lesser minds, often with a predilection towards bigotry and violence,Reveal Hidden Content
    and peering beyond their velvet sophistries one sees there are examples of such on these boards
    are happy to "know" that they know everything. Furthermore, that they know everything prevents any appreciation for the questions of others - "they blaspheme!", "they are spreading lies", "they are evil!!" Reveal Hidden Content
    yes I'm aiming at the fundamentalists here
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    30 Aug '14 19:562 edits
    Originally posted by josephw
    What is that stuff there? If I make an edit can you see what was edited? What if I typed out a post, then didn't post it, but didn't erase it either, and moved to a different screen, can you do some sort of hack thing and see it?

Just curious.
    What is that stuff there?
    A log of the sequential, albeit somewhat deliberate, edits I made in the last post.

If I make an edit can you see what was edited?
    Only if one keeps a handle on the stale data (by not refreshing one tab whilst refreshing another)

What if I typed out a post, then didn't post it, but didn't erase it either, and moved to a different screen, can you do some sort of hack thing and see it?
    No ... ask yourself what doesn't happen if you do not actually make the post - ask yourself what is there for another reader to fetch from the rhp server(s) given that you haven't submitted the data you haven't erased on your own computer.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 08:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    "The more unintelligent a man is, the less mysterious existence seems to him." -- Schopenhauer
    It seems to be a mystery to our evolution scientists at least.
  4. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 10:26
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It seems to be a mystery to our evolution scientists at least.
    Even though it admittedly means little coming from you, I'm sure evolution scientists everywhere knows to appreciate the compliment.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 15:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    The assertion that the Bible, the Torah and the Koran, for example, are "divinely inspired" by a supernatural God figure are claims that magic has occurred.
    I think you need to make the distinction between magic and miracle.

According to Marriam-Webster a miracle is: an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs.

Magic is: the use of means (as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces.

If the Bible actually contains the Word of God, it would necessarily mean that it exists as a manifestation of divine intervention. Your assertion that it is a claim of magic is without reason. You know magic is an illusion, so why state that it is claimed that the scriptures are "divinely inspired" through magic?

It's either true or false. The scriptures are divinely inspired, or not. Magic has nothing to do with anything supernatural. Why make assertions you are unable to substantiate? Your assertion that "magic has occurred", as it relates to a claim of divine inspiration, is only your opinion. One based on false reasoning and irrational logic.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 15:53
    Originally posted by Agerg
    [b]What is that stuff there?
    A log of the sequential, albeit somewhat deliberate, edits I made in the last post.

If I make an edit can you see what was edited?
    Only if one keeps a handle on the stale data (by not refreshing one tab whilst refreshing another)

What if I typed out a post, then didn't post it, but didn't erase it either, and ...[text shortened]... rhp server(s) given that you haven't submitted the data you haven't erased on your own computer.
    I never claimed to be computer savvy. 😉

Appreciate the clarification.
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 17:071 edit

According to Marriam-Webster a miracle is: an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs.

Magic is: the use of means (as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces.

If the Bible actually contains the Word of God, it would nece ...[text shortened]... of divine inspiration, is only your opinion. One based on false reasoning and irrational logic.
    Eh!?? you say:

and then follow up with

It's either true or false. The scriptures are divinely inspired, or not. Magic has nothing to do with anything supernatural.

I.e. something believed to have supernatural power over natural forces that simultaneously has nothing to do with the supernatural ... what exactly are you smoking these days josephw!?? 😕

Magic, miracles ... same thing. With just a faint sprinkling of twinkle dust, one can hurl fireballs around, raise people from the dead, or rend the sea in two with just a command.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 19:54
    Eh!?? you say:

and then follow up with

It's either true or false. The scriptures are divinely inspired, or not. Magic has nothing to do with anything supernatural.

I.e. something believed to have supernatural power o ...[text shortened]... n hurl fireballs around, raise people from the dead, or rend the sea in two with just a command.
    He is saying that magic is the use of means some believe to have supernatural power over natural forces. However, we know magic is an illusionary trick and has nothing to do with supernatural power. I hope I stated that clear enough for you to understand.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 19:57

Magic has nothing to do with anything supernatural.
    Make your mind up Idiot!
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 20:002 edits
    He is saying that magic is the use of means some [b]believe to have supernatural power over natural forces. However, we know magic is an illusionary trick and has nothing to do with supernatural power. I hope I stated that clear enough for you to understand.[/b]
    I acknowledged the word believe - and it is also true that miracles are believed to be the actions of a supreme entity affecting the natural world/universe with supernatural powers. I.e. in this respect (and others) there is no difference between magic and miracles.

All that said even the belief that magic is some means to have supernatural power - it is still very much pertaining to the supernatural, and so is in contradiction to the claim that it has nothing to do with the supernatural. My observation still stands and you have cleared up nothing.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 20:01
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Make your mind up Idiot!
    You seem to be more of an idiot to me.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 20:031 edit
    I acknowledged the word believe - and it is also true that miracles are [b]believed to be the actions of a supreme entity affecting the natural world/universe with supernatural powers. I.e. in this respect (and others) there is no difference between magic and miracles.

All that said even the belief that magic is some means to have supernatural power - i ...[text shortened]... uch pertaining to the supernatural. My observation still stands and you have cleared up nothing.[/b]
    Maybe this will help:

Magic is not real happenings.
    Miracles are real happenings.
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 20:05
    Maybe this will help:

Magic is not real.
    Miracles are real.
    It doesn't help since neither are real; and as far as I'm concerned they are synonymous. Further, that still doesn't help clear up the contradiction - even if you were correct with this claim (which you are most certainly not).
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 20:13
    It doesn't help since neither are real; and as far as I'm concerned they are synonymous. Further, that [b]still doesn't help clear up the contradiction - even if you were correct with this claim (which you are most certainly not).[/b]
    Yes , I understand what you mean now.

You believe magic and miracle are just two words meaning the same thing, since you don't believe either one is a real supernatural event, Right?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '14 20:17

If the Bible actually contains the Word of God, it would nece ...[text shortened]... of divine inspiration, is only your opinion. One based on false reasoning and irrational logic.
    Miracles/magic are synonymous in so far as what we are discussing here is concerned. We are not talking about "magic" in the TV show sense, just as we are not talking about "miracles" in the 3-seconds-to-go Hail Mary pass sense. In the case of both words we are talking about "supernatural power over natural forces".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree