Is life mysterious?

Is life mysterious?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
27 Aug 14

"The more unintelligent a man is, the less mysterious existence seems to him." -- Schopenhauer

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
27 Aug 14
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
"The more unintelligent a man is, the less mysterious existence seems to him." -- Schopenhauer
Well, when you put it that way then yes... life is very mysterious. 😀

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
27 Aug 14

Originally posted by lemon lime
Well, when you put it that way then yes... life is [b]very mysterious. 😀[/b]
Love the new avatar. 🙂

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
27 Aug 14
3 edits

Originally posted by Whodey
"The greater intellect strives to further our repository of unknowns; the lesser can explain them all with magic." -- Agerg

Moves
27 Aug 14

"More unintelligent"??

How German of him. And his translator.

How about "less intelligent"?

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
27 Aug 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
Love the new avatar. 🙂
Not a super hero, but close enough...

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/7/71975/2083292-spiff.png

Read a book!

Moves
27 Aug 14

Originally posted by JS357
"More unintelligent"??

How German of him. And his translator.

How about "less intelligent"?
He may have been looking for a more/less formation. More or less.

Moves
27 Aug 14

Originally posted by HandyAndy
He may have been looking for a more/less formation. More or less.
It's a very deep mystery to me.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Aug 14

Originally posted by Agerg
"The greater intellect strives to further our repository of unknowns; the lesser can explain them all with magic." -- Agerg
Which side needs 4 tries to present a simple concept?

rc

Moves
28 Aug 14

what does your guru Schopenhauer have to say about chicks?

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
28 Aug 14
8 edits

Originally posted by Suzianne
Which side needs 4 tries to present a simple concept?
I succeeded on every try ... my edits were mainly for the sake of the grammar Nazis amongst us (you'd never do such a thing would you Suzianne!?)

Edit ... sometimes I like to jiggle words around a bit too, Edit 2 ... like I should have done in the last edit, Edit 3 ... Added a space between "Edit and 2" in last edit, Edit 4 ... changed the wording of edit 3, Edit 5 ... stuck the other edits in a hidden box, Edit 6 ... corrected last edit to make hidden box work properly, Edit 7 ... hid all edits (including this one), Edit 8 ... fixed some of the typos in the hidden box

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
30 Aug 14

I succeeded on every try ... my edits were mainly for the sake of the grammar Nazis amongst us (you'd never do such a thing would you Suzianne!?)

[hidden]Edit ... sometimes I like to jiggle words around a bit too, Edit 2 ... like I should have done in the last edit, Edit 3 ... Added a space between "Edit and 2" in last edit, Edit 4 ... changed the wordi ...[text shortened]... id all edits (including this one), Edit 8 ... fixed some of the typos in the hidden box[/hidden]
What is that stuff there? If I make an edit can you see what was edited? What if I typed out a post, then didn't post it, but didn't erase it either, and moved to a different screen, can you do some sort of hack thing and see it?

Just curious.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
30 Aug 14

Is that Schopenhauer's idea of life, that it's mysterious?

That is the kind of thinking that makes a closed mind. Suddenly now I'm to put my head in a box and accept the idea that if I don't think that way I'm unintelligent?

Not saying that there are no mysteries associated with life, but the idea that existence is a mystery, and if one doesn't know it he is unintelligent, is merely a means of elevating one's own ego and status among other lesser men . That idea, set in the mind, causes one to think of himself as above others by virtue of his mental acumen, and facilitates the further segregation of relationships.

I would rather think that the more intelligent is the man the less mysterious life is to him, and the less mysterious to him is his existence, the greater is his humility, and the lesser is his pride.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
30 Aug 14

That's a naive assumption.
Some of the greatest minds/seekers in the scientific world have been/are theists--- not a single one of whom resort to magic, all of whom are very comfortable with the known unknowns... and with the knowledge that even if their striving never produces the solution, the One who created it will.

F

Moves
30 Aug 14

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
That's a naive assumption.
Some of the greatest minds/seekers in the scientific world have been/are theists--- not a single one of whom resort to magic, all of whom are very comfortable with the known unknowns... and with the knowledge that even if their striving never produces the solution, the One who created it will.
The assertion that the Bible, the Torah and the Koran, for example, are "divinely inspired" by a supernatural God figure are claims that magic has occurred.