1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 19:56
    Originally posted by josephw
    Magic is an illusion caused by "the hand is quicker than the eye" tricks. By sleight of hand is magic performed for the amusement of a paying audience.
    Is this how Harry Potter does his thing?
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 21:511 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Is this how Harry Potter does his thing?
    I get the impression that RJHinds, and josephw know exactly what we mean when we use the term "magic" and are making a deliberate effort to squirm their way away from this one because they know that comparing "God"s miracles to the likes of wizards tossing fireballs about or Harry Potter casting spells with his wand cheapens what they believe.
    This I imagine is fairly painful for them and so it comes as little surprise that they have to apply some sort of special pleading to the magic that "God" performs ... in this case merely giving it a different name!! 😵
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 22:29
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I think it is more accurate to say that your interpretation of what I said is more than a little bit off target. Indeed such great minds you speak of like Newton, Euler, Riemann, Gauss, and so on ... [hidden]yeah my examples were all mathematicians ... feel free to substitute physicist, philosophers, and so on on ...[/hidden] are the ones who, in spite of thei ...[text shortened]... spreading lies", "they are evil!!" [hidden]yes I'm aiming at the fundamentalists here[/hidden].
    It's amusing to watch you attempt to dig yourself out of the hole yet end up only digging the hole deeper.

Citing the names of dead seekers might confer a certain level of comfort for you now hundreds of years removed (those kind old souls were just so quaint), but it doesn't help you out with your modern-day problems, does it?

That renders your assumption of the debatable nature of their beliefs surrounded by current knowledge seem pretty silly, huh.

And will you do yourself and everyone else a favor?
    Quit marching out that tired, sad assumption that only uneducated people are given to bigotry and violence: it makes you sound like a member of the Nazi propaganda machinery and does more to hurt your cause than help.
  4. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 22:411 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    It's amusing to watch you attempt to dig yourself out of the hole yet end up only digging the hole deeper.

Citing the names of dead seekers might confer a certain level of comfort for you now hundreds of years removed (those kind old souls were just so quaint), but it doesn't help you out with your modern-day problems, does it?

That renders your assu ...[text shortened]... sound like a member of the Nazi propaganda machinery and does more to hurt your cause than help.
    The names I cited (except Gauss whom I forgot to edit out) were more than seekers Freaky ... they were probably deeper entrenched in their belief in "God" than you are - I still consider them to be great intellects. As for what they would believe in the present day, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Care to remind me, in the context of this thread what are my modern-day problems!?

And as for the claim of mine that usually (not only!) the uneducated are given to bigotry and violence, the kind of people incapable of higher thought are the kinds who will fall in line with herd-mentality and succumb to the desire to see jaws smashed. Yes there are educated/intelligent bigots/thugs but that said stupidity is a good predictor for the way people will act and think. Is it bizarre to suggest that people who are stupid will have a tendency to believe stupid things!??
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Sep '14 02:07
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I get the impression that RJHinds, and josephw know exactly what we mean when we use the term "magic" and are making a deliberate effort to squirm their way away from this one because they know that comparing "God"s miracles to the likes of wizards tossing fireballs about or Harry Potter casting spells with his wand cheapens what they believe.
    This I imagine ...[text shortened]... leading to the magic that "God" performs ... in this case merely giving it a different name!! 😵
    You are ignorant and stupid if you think we gave them different names. These names or words were in the dictionary long before we were born.
  6. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Sep '14 08:181 edit
    "Let there be light" she spoke, and there was light.

If magic means anything, that right there is it. Next you expect her to start pulling animals out of her proverbial beige promise pillbox.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Sep '14 22:58
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You are ignorant and stupid if you think we gave them different names. These names or words were in the dictionary long before we were born.
    The word "idiot" has been in the dictionary a long time.
    (via Old French from Latin idiota , from Greek idiōtēs )

But that does not prevent me giving it to you.

So you are free to give gods magic the word
    miracle regardless of how old that word is.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree