1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Sep '14 11:13
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Eh!?? you say:

Magic is: the use of means (as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces.

and then follow up with

It's either true or false. The scriptures are divinely inspired, or not. Magic has nothing to do with anything supernatural.

I.e. something believed to have supernatural power o ...[text shortened]... n hurl fireballs around, raise people from the dead, or rend the sea in two with just a command.
    I think it is you that's smokin' twinkle dust! lol

Did you write a dictionary? Am I to take your word for it that there's no difference between the words magic and miracle?

I've always known the difference between those words. Even after smokin' the best ..it you can imagine. Everybody knows God performs miracles and magicians perform magic. A miracle is the actual interruption of natural forces such as raising a dead body back to life. That ain't magic. Magic is an illusion caused by "the hand is quicker than the eye" tricks. By sleight of hand is magic performed for the amusement of a paying audience. God doesn't except payment for doing miracles.

You know Agerg, I'm just a bit disappointed that you don't know this stuff. Seriously, we learned these things in grade school for heavens sake!
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Sep '14 11:18
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Is it a miracle if they get what you're saying?
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    For F's sake can't you people use a dictionary?!?

* all miracles are magic
    that does not mean all magic is a miracle

miracles are "good" deeds done by deities using their supernatural powers

"Is it a miracle if they get what you're saying?"

It won't be magic when you do! 😀
  3. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '14 11:51
    Originally posted by josephw
    It won't be magic when you do! 😀
    Obviously.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '14 13:37
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Actually this is not accurate, magic relies of deception and the use of props....
    You reckon the "magic" people are discussing here is TV magic shows and the like?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Sep '14 16:26
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    For F's sake can't you people use a dictionary?!?

* all miracles are magic
    that does not mean all magic is a miracle

miracles are "good" deeds done by deities using their supernatural powers
    This is what I got when I entered "magic' and "miracle" on GOOGLE.COM and from Wikipedia.

mag·ic

noun: magic

1. the power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces.

"do you believe in magic?"

synonyms:

sorcery, witchcraft, wizardry, necromancy, enchantment, the supernatural, occultism, the occult, black magic, the black arts, voodoo, hoodoo, mojo, shamanism; charm, hex, spell, jinx; pixie dust, fairy dust

Magic or sorcery is an attempt to understand, experience and influence the world using rituals, symbols, actions, gestures and language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_(paranormal)

mir·a·cle

noun: miracle; plural noun: miracles

a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency.

"the miracle of rising from the grave"

synonyms:

wonder, marvel, sensation, phenomenon, supernatural phenomenon, mystery

A miracle is an event not explicable by natural or scientific laws. Such an event may be attributed to a supernatural being (God or gods), a miracle worker, a saint or a religious leader.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle

I guess that should settle that. We can move on to next mystery.
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    01 Sep '14 22:121 edit
    I think it is you that's smokin' twinkle dust! lol

Did you write a dictionary? Am I to take your word for it that there's no difference between the words magic and miracle?

I've always known the difference between those words. Even after smokin' the best ..it you can imagine. Everybody knows God performs miracles and magicians perform magic. A miracle ...[text shortened]... you don't know this stuff. Seriously, we learned these things in grade school for heavens sake!
    Again I shall refer you to your contradiction, which was the main thrust of my post to you.

Magic is: the use of means (as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces.

It's either true or false. The scriptures are divinely inspired, or not. Magic has nothing to do with anything supernatural.

Again, how does something that has NOTHING to do with ANYTHING supernatural have the property that it is believed to have supernatural power over natural forces?

I shall respond either to you or to RJHinds on the quibbling about terminology after you have resolved this one for me.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 01:41
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Again I shall refer you to your contradiction, which was the main thrust of my post to you.

Magic is: the use of means (as charms or spells) [b]believed to have supernatural power over natural forces.

[quote]It's either true or false. The scriptures are divinely inspired, or not. Magic has nothing to do with anything supernatural. ...[text shortened]... to you or to RJHinds on the quibbling about terminology after you have resolved this one for me.[/b]
    According to the definitions I found, Magic_(paranormal) can be associated with the supernatural, like Satan and his demons. Magic is also associated with illusions, as josephw mentions.

A miracle is NOT associated with an illusion or Satan, but with God.

So that is at least one difference.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 01:57
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    According to the definitions I found, Magic_(paranormal) can be associated with the supernatural, like Satan and his demons. Magic is also associated with illusions, as josephw mentions.

A miracle is NOT associated with an illusion or Satan, but with God.

So that is at least one difference.
    Both words refer to happenings believed to be affected by supernatural forces. No one here is seriously discussing saw-her-in-half illusions on TV shows.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 02:37
    Magic is an illusion caused by "the hand is quicker than the eye" tricks. By sleight of hand is magic performed for the amusement of a paying audience.
    Nobody here is seriously referring to this particular use of the word "magic" when they are drawing a parallel between "magic" and "miracles",
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 04:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    Both words refer to happenings believed to be affected by supernatural forces. No one here is seriously discussing saw-her-in-half illusions on TV shows.
    Yes, I know. But I covered both ideas.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 04:59
    Yes, I know. But I covered both ideas.
    The "idea" of "magic" on TV shows has got nothing to do with what we are talking about. It's a red herring. It is, as I said before, like including the 3-seconds-to-go Hail Mary touchdown scoring pass under "miracles" because the word is used to describe such things in that way
  12. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 05:03
    Its a word!

What God does is magic! His magic created the universe! his magic makes miracles happen all the time.

Who cares what word you use? I see all of you professed christians on here spending your days quibbling over definitions and meanings of scripture.

Your relationship with God is yours alone and your relationship with others in the fold is the body of Christ. Proof of God is intensely personal and spiritual. The personal nature of your relationship means that he will speak to you differently which means that the scriptures will have as many interpretations as there are people with a relationship with God. Don't take the bible word for word or try to prove to non believers that they mean what you believe they mean.

Prayer is the only answer, when you love someone as important as our heavenly lord then you must talk to Him as often as you can. Only he will answer your questions so all of this argument is pointless.

Spread the seed and have faith that it will grow, you are just the farmer, only God can make it rain. And in the end only God can judge you.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 05:07
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    Its a word!

What God does is magic! His magic created the universe! his magic makes miracles happen all the time.

Who cares what word you use? I see all of you professed christians on here spending your days quibbling over definitions and meanings of scripture.

Your relationship with God is yours alone and your relationship with others in th ...[text shortened]... grow, you are just the farmer, only God can make it rain. And in the end only God can judge you.
    If God used magic in creation, I hope it was not the illusion kind.
  14. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 05:19
    If God used magic in creation, I hope it was not the illusion kind.
    What if God came to you and told you he used illusion magic to create the universe. Would it change your relationship with Him?

If this is all an illusion does it change your existence?

If no then what does it matter?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 06:46
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    What if God came to you and told you he used illusion magic to create the universe. Would it change your relationship with Him?

If this is all an illusion does it change your existence?

If no then what does it matter?
    I don't know how to answer these questions. I am not quite ready to accept that I am an illusion. I believe I am made of real matter.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree